Parametrization of implicit curve

In summary, this is a difficult curve to parametrize and it is better to try to understand it fully before attempting to parametrize it.In summary, the given equation represents a curve that is symmetrical about the x-axis and has a general shape of down-up-down. It can be rewritten as y = √(x^3 - 3x + C) or y = -√(x^3 - 3x + C). The values of the function are real on intervals (x_1,x_2) and (x_3,infinity). Any attempt to parametrize the curve would need to take into account these intervals and the points where y = 0. It is recommended to understand the curve fully
nuuskur
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

[itex]y^2 + 3x - x^3 = C, C\in\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Keeping in mind that ##\cos ^2\alpha + \sin ^2\alpha = 1##
I would go about it
[tex]\left (\frac{y}{\sqrt{C}}\right )^2 + \left (\frac{\sqrt{3x-x^3}}{\sqrt{C}}\right )^2 = 1 [/tex]
would then?
for some interval for ##t##
##\sin t = \frac{y}{\sqrt{C}}##
##\cos t = \frac{\sqrt{3x-x^3}}{\sqrt{C}}##
this doesn't look so good, can't get anywhere with it

I can't remember this part at all and every piece of parametrization I have been able to google is either for explicit curves or obvious identity parametrizations, in other words, not very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Obs. 1: This curve is symmetrical about the x-axis.
Obs. 2: ##3x - x^3## slopes positively at the origin. It also has the general shape, down-up-down.

Let ##z = y^2##, ##3x - x^3 = C - z##.

Obs. 3: ##C - z## is the ##y## intercept, ##z## moves the graph down. The question being asked is, what are the x-intercepts when the y intercept is C-z.

Essentially, we are placing the x-axis at ##y = C##, mirroring the part below the axis to above the axis, and applying a square-root transformation. When ##y = 4##, ##z = 16##, etc. It all gets squashed.

So looking at that, I don't see how you could hope to parametrize it.

Likes nuuskur
verty said:
Obs. 1: This curve is symmetrical about the x-axis.
Obs. 2: ##3x - x^3## slopes positively at the origin. It also has the general shape, down-up-down.

Let ##z = y^2##, ##3x - x^3 = C - z##.

Obs. 3: ##C - z## is the ##y## intercept, ##z## moves the graph down. The question being asked is, what are the x-intercepts when the y intercept is C-z.

Essentially, we are placing the x-axis at ##y = C##, mirroring the part below the axis to above the axis, and applying a square-root transformation. When ##y = 4##, ##z = 16##, etc. It all gets squashed.

So looking at that, I don't see how you could hope to parametrize it.
Hmm, from what you say I gather there are a number of criteria for a curve to be "parametrizable".

nuuskur said:

Homework Statement

[itex]y^2 + 3x - x^3 = C, C\in\mathbb{R}\setminus\{0\}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't remember this part at all and every piece of parametrization I have been able to google is either for explicit curves or obvious identity parametrizations, in other words, not very helpful.

Before attempting to parametrize the curve (if possible), try to understand it first. For example, if you take ##C = 1## you have two curves
[tex] y = \sqrt{ x^3 - 3 x + 1} \;\;\; \text{(Curve C1)} [/tex]
and
[tex] y = - \sqrt{ x^3 - 3 x + 1} \;\;\; \text{(Curve C2)} [/tex]

If ##x_1, x_2, x_3## are the real roots of ##f(x) = x^3 - 3 x + 1##, we have ##x_1 = -1.879385242##, ##x_2 = 0.3472963553## and ##x_3 = 1.532088886##. We have ##f(x) > 0## on ##(x_1,x_2)## and on ##(x_3 \infty)##, so the values of ##y## are real on those two intervals. Thus, there are really two pairs of (C1,C2) curves, one pair for ##x_1 \leq x \leq x_2## and another pair for ##x \geq x_3##. All the curves satisfy ##y = 0## at ##x = x_1, x_2, x_3##. Somehow, any parametrization you cook up would need to recognize all those issues.

Related to Parametrization of implicit curve

What is a parametrization of an implicit curve?

A parametrization of an implicit curve is a mathematical representation that describes the relationship between the independent variable (usually denoted by t) and the dependent variables (x and y) of the curve. It allows us to express the coordinates of points on the curve as functions of t.

Why is parametrization important for implicit curves?

Parametrization is important for implicit curves because it allows us to plot and manipulate the curve using standard mathematical techniques. It also helps us to find important characteristics of the curve, such as its slope, curvature, and intersections with other curves.

How is a parametrization of an implicit curve different from an explicit curve?

An explicit curve has its equation written explicitly in terms of x and y, while an implicit curve has its equation written in terms of x and y, but also includes a parameter t. This parameter t allows us to represent the curve as a function of t, instead of directly in terms of x and y.

What are the benefits of using parametrization for implicit curves?

Using parametrization for implicit curves allows us to easily manipulate and analyze the curve using standard mathematical techniques. It also allows us to easily plot the curve and find important characteristics such as its slope, curvature, and intersections with other curves.

How do you find a parametrization for an implicit curve?

To find a parametrization for an implicit curve, we first need to solve the equation for one of the variables (either x or y) in terms of the other variable and the parameter t. Then, we can choose different values for t to plot points on the curve and connect them to create the curve.