Particle Mass Prediction in Theoretical Physics: Success Stories

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of particle mass prediction in Theoretical Particle Physics. It is mentioned that there have been successful cases, such as Yukawa's pion, which was predicted to be the size of a nucleus. However, it is also noted that the situation is complicated and pions are not the full answer to the short-range strong force in the nucleus. Witten is mentioned as having settled the question of the difference between neutron and proton mass, but there is uncertainty around this. The use of flavor theory to predict masses of SU(3) decuplets is also brought up, but the history is not clear. The prediction for W and Z particles from Fermi interactions and Fermi constant is discussed,
Bob_for_short
I wonder if there are successful cases of particle mass prediction/calculation in Theoretical Particle Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yukawa's pion was ok. It was expected to be of the order of the size of a nucleus and it was. Regretly the situation was complicated because pions, at the end, are not the full answer to short ranged strong force in nucleus.

I think that Witten settled the question of the difference between neutron and proton mass, but I am not sure.

In the semi-empirical spirit of hadron spectroscopy, of course flavour theory got to predict masses of the SU(3) decuplet, but I am not sure of the history.

W and Z were predicted from fermi interactions and fermi constant. W was easy, Z was a bit more in dispute. But W approx 80 GeV was already in textbooks in the early seventies.

Top failed. They kept increasing the prediction until it was finally found. But in the last years previous to discovery, QFT corrections were already predicting the right range.

And of course, string theory got to predict the masses of high spin hadrons. Only that at that time it was not string theory yet.

Really the hadron spectrum is not very hard to control in the big picture. String-Regee theory takes care of the mass of QCD excited states. The basic states are well organised via quark model and Gellmann-etc mass formulae. Even the decay constants seem to have some reasonable organisation, as you can be on this picture of mass against decay width:
http://dftuz.unizar.es/~rivero/research/nonstrong.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of quantities or constants would it be most natural for particles masses to depend on when people are doing "particle numerology"?

So pi, e, phi, etc...a set of mathematical constants...

Or physical constants like c, k, g, etc?

What is the right way to think about the choices that could be made?

We have a whole thread on particle numerology ("All the particle masses from..."). Inspect it to get some idea. Also, look for "trialogue" on fundamental constants, in the arxiv, for a discussion about what is a physical constant.

Problems for such approach are GIGO (measure how many garbage you put in and compare with the garbage, er, results, you get out) and the "law" of small integers (there are only a few of small integers, and a lot of mathematical results involving small integers, so the "birthday paradox" is bound to happen).

apeiron said:
What kind of quantities or constants would it be most natural for particles masses to depend on when people are doing "particle numerology"?

So pi, e, phi, etc...a set of mathematical constants...

Or physical constants like c, k, g, etc?

What is the right way to think about the choices that could be made?

One should mention that these different predictions have rather different contexts.

W and Z in the el.-weak GSW model rely on fixing constants related to the "old" Fermi model. Low SU(3) hadrons use mainly group theoretic aspects w/o taking into account QCD. The difference is that hadrons are bound states but W and Z are (as far as we know today) elementary particles.

In the meantime lattice gauge calculations for (quenched QCD) are able to fit hadron masses within a few percent. Of course these calculations are not parameter-free.

The mass of the hydrogen atom in terms of the mass of the electron and proton. :approve:

Count Iblis said:
The mass of the hydrogen atom in terms of the mass of the electron and proton. :approve:

Yes, something like this but for other particles. The Hydrogen is an exemplary case when knowing me, mp, and calculating E0 from some interaction, one can calculate MH.

It appears that we can calculate all known masses given the parameters of the standard model. I thought the OP was about Yukawa couplings.

humanino said:
It appears that we can calculate all known masses given the parameters of the standard model. I thought the OP was about Yukawa couplings.

No, I did not mean Yukawa but the Standard Model first of all. For example, a pi-meson mass, what from it is calculated? From quark masses and the strong interaction coupling constant?

Bob_for_short said:
From quark masses and the strong interaction coupling constant?
Yes, at least in principle. For instance lattice methods (including chiral extrapolation to physical quark masses) adjust the quark masses (Yukawa couplings) to the necessary amount of measured masses in the spectrum (for instance, one needs 3 hadron masses to adjust 3 quark masses) and correctly reproduce the full hadronic spectra of masses with other hadrons. Alternatively, one can attempt to calculate directly the pion mass from the Gell-Mann-Oakes-Renner relation, including some modeling for the quark condensate. The following link is the first result of "pion mass formula" from google :
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9602240
(I was unaware of this particle paper before doing this search, and only use it to mention the use of Gell-Mann-Oakes-Renner relation, which is presented in nearly all QCD textbooks)

Thanks, Humanino, I will read it. By the way, in the lattice calculations (numerical approach, I guess), what is solved? Equations for bound states? Do these calculations involve renormalizations, counter-terms?

Bob_for_short said:
Thanks, Humanino, I will read it.
I did not read it myself further than the abstract and I do not know whether it is worth reading. On this matter, I guess a QCD textbook would be more suited.

Bob_for_short said:
By the way, in the lattice calculations (numerical approach, I guess), what is solved? Equations for bound states? Do these calculations involve renormalizations, counter-terms?
I do not have time right now to make a decent description. Lattice QCD is merely a (non-perturbative) brute force computation of the path integral. I use "brute force" in parenthesis because quite some technical tricks are necessary to make it manageable, even with powerful supercomputers. The renormalisation amounts to taking the continuum limit, since the regulator is the lattice itself (it introduces a momentum cutoff at the lattice spacing). To compute bound state properties, one has to choose an operator with the appropriate quantum numbers and we get as a result mostly the propagator for the corresponding state.

I like this introduction to lattice QCD :
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-lat/0506036

One should mention that (as far as I know due restricted computing power) still most lattice calculations must be restricted to the "quenched approximation". That means in the path integral the fermion determinant is fixed to One = the quarks are somehow static instead of dynamic; virtual quark-antiquark loops are suppressed. So the quark content of the hadron under investigation is fixed upfront.

Nevertheless the results are promising; a nice paper including results for hadron masses is http://de.arxiv.org/abs/0711.3091v2

The Omega-minus particle was predicted by SU3 before it was discovered in bubble chamber pictures. See
http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/history/Omega-minus.asp

The Bevatron, a 6.2 GeV weak-focusing synchrotron, was built at Berkeley in the eqrly 1950's specifically to discover the anti-proton predicted by Dirac and others in the 1930's. See
http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sabl/2005/October/01-antiproton.html
Bob S

Last edited:
tom.stoer said:
One should mention that (as far as I know due restricted computing power) still most lattice calculations must be restricted to the "quenched approximation". That means in the path integral the fermion determinant is fixed to One = the quarks are somehow static instead of dynamic; virtual quark-antiquark loops are suppressed. So the quark content of the hadron under investigation is fixed upfront.
The quenched approximation was a major limitation in the past. There are several ways to include the fermion determinant. I am not sure this technical discussion is appropriate here, but I can dig references if you want. In any case, there is a popular paper on the subject

http://inside.hlrs.de/images/spring01_09/A8_09.jpg
Image link : http://inside.hlrs.de/htm/Edition_01_09/article_08.html
Original paper : Ab-initio Determination of Light Hadron Masses
Thanks to continuous progress [...] lattice QCD calculations can now be performed with[out the] neglect [of] one or more of the ingredients required for a full and controlled calculation. The five most important of those are, in the order that they will be addressed below:
  • inclusion of fermion determinant
  • determination of the light ground-state (Three fix the masses of u, d and s)
  • Large volumes
  • Controlled interpolations to physical mass
  • Controlled extrapolations to the continuum

See also : Colloquium on the calculation

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Particle Mass Prediction in Theoretical Physics: Success Stories

1. What is particle mass prediction in theoretical physics?

Particle mass prediction in theoretical physics is the process of using mathematical models and theories to predict the mass of particles, such as subatomic particles or elementary particles. It is an important area of study in theoretical physics as it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe.

2. How is particle mass prediction achieved?

Particle mass prediction is achieved through complex calculations and simulations using mathematical equations and theories, such as the Standard Model of particle physics. These calculations take into account various factors, such as the interaction between particles and the effects of fundamental forces, to predict the mass of a particle.

3. What are some successful examples of particle mass prediction in theoretical physics?

One of the most famous and successful examples of particle mass prediction is the prediction of the existence and mass of the Higgs boson, which was later confirmed by experiments at the Large Hadron Collider. Other successful predictions include the masses of the top quark and charm quark, as well as the masses of various mesons and baryons.

4. What challenges do scientists face in particle mass prediction?

One of the biggest challenges in particle mass prediction is the complexity of the calculations and simulations involved. These predictions also often require advanced mathematical and computational techniques, making it a challenging field for scientists. Additionally, there is still much we do not know about the fundamental laws of physics, which can make predictions less accurate.

5. How does particle mass prediction contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Particle mass prediction is crucial in helping us understand the fundamental laws and building blocks of the universe. By accurately predicting the mass of particles, we can gain insights into the behavior and interactions of these particles, leading to a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.