PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) -- loud noise

In summary, the rotary lobe pump is causing a very loud noise when running. The pump specs are as follows: Liquid: Syrup (The liquid is in the 15,000 liters tank.) Viscosity: 2200 cPs Temp: Ambient Flowrate: 15 m3/hr Discharge pressure: less than 2 bar (open ended pipe) Inlet pressure: 2.5-3 bar Pump running speed: 350 rpm Size: 65 mm
Theerapat
Hello,

I have a problem with the rotary lobe pump, it causes a very loud noise when running. The pump specs are as follows:

Liquid: Syrup (The liquid is in the 15,000 liters tank.)
Viscosity: 2200 cPs
Temp: Ambient
Flowrate: 15 m3/hr
Discharge pressure: less than 2 bar (open ended pipe)
Inlet pressure: 2.5-3 bar
Pump running speed: 350 rpm
Size: 65 mm

mpnmySw

https://imgur.com/a/mpnmySw

I am quite sure that the problem is the insufficient liquid at suction side but I don't understand why. The pressure at suction side is very high, the suction pipe has the same size as the pump inlet. The discharge pressure is very low. Do you guys have any comments for this application?

Theerapat S.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is a good idea to oversize the suction line by one or two diameters and keep it as short as possible when pumping a high viscosity fluid. These considerations are probably mentioned in the pump user manual, and the manufacturer probably has other information resources to call upon.

A VFD is shown in the photo, and one way to proceed is to experiment with progressively lower pump speeds to find at what speed the noise goes away, make a plumbing change, and re-run the speed test to learn if and how it affected the onset of unacceptable noise.

Likes Tom.G
Asymptotic said:
It is a good idea to oversize the suction line by one or two diameters and keep it as short as possible when pumping a high viscosity fluid. These considerations are probably mentioned in the pump user manual, and the manufacturer probably has other information resources to call upon.

A VFD is shown in the photo, and one way to proceed is to experiment with progressively lower pump speeds to find at what speed the noise goes away, make a plumbing change, and re-run the speed test to learn if and how it affected the onset of unacceptable noise.

We have already tried lowering the pump speed, the noise went away at 25 Hz (around 175 rpm). What I wondered is that we have such a high inlet pressure and the liquid is still not entering the pump sufficiently.

If we can lift the liquid tank higher and increase the inlet pressure will it help?

Last edited:
I don't see any pressure transducers or gauges on the pump inlet piping beyond the hose; so, at what point are you measuring this "high inlet pressure"?
Also, have you done a flowing pressure drop analysis on the piping and hose between the tank connection and the pump inlet?

Likes Asymptotic
JBA said:
I don't see any pressure transducers or gauges on the pump inlet piping beyond the hose; so, at what point are you measuring this "high inlet pressure".

This is when we moved the pump nearer to the tank. Actually, the pump was connected to the stainless steel pipe about 10 m long with the pressure gauge on the suction line.

Theerapat said:
We have already tried lowering the pump speed, the noise went away at 25 Hz (around 175 rpm). What I wondered is that we have such a high inlet pressure and the liquid is still not entering the pump sufficiently.

If we can lift the liquid tank higher and increase the inlet pressure will it help?
Yes, increasing suction head will improve the situation, but a larger part of the problem appears to be excessive resistance to flow due to suction plumbing. If you are considering raising the tank anyway, I'd recommend elevating it enough so the pump can be located directly under the tank discharge port, then plumb the pump suction as directly as possible to it (one or two pipe diameters oversized). Do whatever that can be done to keep suction line resistance to a minimum.

As to the inlet pressure you have measured, @JBA is pointing you in the right direction. Pump suction pressure must be measured directly at the pump suction port; pressure will indicate unrealistically high if measured farther downstream towards the tank. If I were nosing around, I'd mount one pressure gauge at the tank discharge, another at pump suction, and record both pressures as pump speed in raised in 10 RPM increments, then put the data into a spreadsheet and create speed vs. pressure curves.

Related to PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) -- loud noise

1. What causes the loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump)?

The loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) is typically caused by the movement of the rotors within the pump. As the rotors rotate, they create pressure changes and vibrations that result in the characteristic loud noise. Additionally, if the pump is not properly lubricated or is experiencing excessive wear and tear, it can also contribute to the loud noise.

2. Is the loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) normal?

Yes, some level of noise is expected in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) due to the nature of its operation. However, if the noise is excessive or changes in intensity, it may indicate a problem with the pump that requires attention.

3. Can the loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) be reduced?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce the loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump). These include proper maintenance and lubrication, ensuring the pump is properly aligned and installed, and using noise-reducing materials or enclosures.

4. What are the potential consequences of ignoring loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump)?

If the loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) is ignored, it can lead to significant damage and failure of the pump. This can result in costly repairs and downtime, as well as potential safety hazards for workers operating the pump.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump)?

While the loud noise itself may not pose a safety concern, it can be an indicator of other potential safety hazards. Excessive noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) may be a sign of mechanical issues or the presence of harmful substances in the pump, which can pose a risk to workers. Therefore, it is important to address and investigate loud noise in a PD pump (Rotary lobe pump) to ensure the safety of all individuals in the vicinity.