Permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials?

In summary, a biology major has a question about the effect of strong magnetic fields on small molecules. They have conducted research and found that magnetic fields do induce changes in electron spin, causing them to either approach or retreat from the nucleus. However, there is limited information on the longevity of this effect on non-ferromagnetic particles. The expert believes that strong fields would cause some electrons to shift, but this would put them in a higher energy state and may not last long. This is because electrons in the same orbital cannot share the same quantum numbers, including spin, and would require work to move to a higher energy state.
nzym
Hello all, I feel somewhat strange posting on this forum because I'm majoring in biology and we're supposed to be the enemies of physics, but I've come across a question that I can't seem to find an answer to; this is actually in regards to independent research. Does instantaneous or prolonged exposure of small molecules to a strong magnetic field (e.g., neodymium) cause a permanent or at least a long-lived shift in the electron spin within said small molecule? In other words, does exposing, say, a glass of ethanol to powerful magnets cause a detectable shift in the concentration of "up" vs "down" spins, or visa versa depending on the direction of the flux?

I've been conducting research, and so far all I've found is that magnetic fields do in fact induce changes in electron spin (duh); and that they (the fields) cause electrons to either slightly approach or retreat from the nucleus; and that the spins in ferromagnetic materials are permanently shifted, thus turning them into a magnet; however I can't find any information on the longevity of the effect on non-ferromagnetic particles such as small organic compounds.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as this is a question that has been on my mind for a long time and has important implications for my research.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that sufficiently strong fields would cause at least some of the electrons to shift, however this puts them in a higher energy state than they would be normally. Also, permanent magnets don't have their electron spins themselves change, they cause them to line up in the material. The molecules or atoms themselves, and their domains in the material line up. I wouldn't think any of these electrons which have their spins changed would last long because it is an excited state. But I could be wrong.

So shifting the electrons' spins has an effect on the energy? Is it because electrons sharing an orbital are normally opposed in spin, and the external magnetic field makes them go in unison?

Since the electrons in one orbital cannot share the same quantum numbers, which includes spin, one of them would have to move to a higher energy state, which requires work.

I am always excited to see individuals from different fields come together to ask questions and seek answers. Biology and physics are not enemies, but rather allies in understanding the natural world.

To answer your question, yes, exposure to a strong magnetic field can cause a permanent or long-lived shift in the electron spin within small molecules. This phenomenon is known as magnetic anisotropy and it is a property of materials that dictates the preferred direction of electron spin alignment.

In ferromagnetic materials, the spins of electrons are permanently aligned due to the interactions between neighboring atoms. This is what makes them magnetic. In non-ferromagnetic materials, such as small organic compounds, the effect of a strong magnetic field may not be as obvious, but it can still cause a temporary or permanent shift in electron spin alignment.

The duration of this effect depends on the strength and duration of the magnetic field, as well as the chemical composition of the molecule. Some molecules may retain their new spin alignment for a longer time, while others may quickly return to their original state.

In your research, it may be helpful to look into the concept of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), which is a technique commonly used to study the properties of molecules in a magnetic field. This can provide valuable insight into the effects of magnetic fields on small molecules.

I hope this helps to answer your question and I wish you success in your research. Remember, science knows no boundaries and interdisciplinary collaborations can lead to groundbreaking discoveries. Keep asking questions and seeking answers.

Related to Permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials?

1. What is the phenomenon of permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials?

The permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials refer to the ability of certain materials, such as ferromagnetic or ferrimagnetic materials, to permanently alter the spin orientation of electrons in their proximity. This is due to the strong coupling between the magnetic moments of the material and the spin of the electrons.

2. How do magnetic materials affect the spin of electrons?

Magnetic materials have a special property called magnetization, which is the alignment of the magnetic moments of its atoms or molecules. When an electron comes in close proximity to a magnetized material, its spin can become aligned with the magnetic moment of the material, resulting in a change in its spin orientation.

3. What are the potential applications of permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials?

The permanent effects on electron spin have potential applications in spintronics, a field that aims to use the spin of electrons for data storage and processing. It also has potential applications in quantum computing, where the control of electron spin is crucial for creating and manipulating qubits.

4. Can permanent effects on electron spin be reversed?

In most cases, the permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials cannot be reversed. This is because the alignment of the electron spin with the magnetic moment of the material is a stable and long-lasting process. However, in certain cases, such as in antiferromagnetic materials, the spin orientation can be reversed by applying a strong external magnetic field.

5. How do scientists study the permanent effects on electron spin by magnetic materials?

Scientists use various techniques such as electron spin resonance (ESR), nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), and magnetic force microscopy (MFM) to study the permanent effects of magnetic materials on electron spin. These techniques allow for the detection and manipulation of electron spin in the presence of magnetic materials.