PF PHOTO CONTEST - Summer Holidays (aug 22-28)

In summary, this summer, Summer holidays for the P.F. members are spent in the mountains or traveling to beaches. One member took a picture of a mirror sculpture in a park while on internship and claims to be in it.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Summer Holidays

Show me where you've been on your holidays this summer. If you've not not been away this summer, show me any previous trip away. Tell me a bit about where you went too :smile:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
As mentioned, I've been digging into the old family slides. I took this when our family spent a week in Yosemite National Park, many many moons ago.

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3980/1005z.jpg

We have plenty of photos from over the years that I could scan, but many have lost some of the color, and I have no idea where they are right now. Lots of pics of Hawaii from numerous trips, somewhere. :biggrin: The slides all held up extremely well. The pic above is about 35 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind a' boring, this contest, don't you think? :(Mountains? Any day. Not very creative...Anyone could win this one by finding a picture of a beach one shot with a glaring sunset/sunrise along with a bunch of kids/kittens/puppies, baby chihuahuas and they would take the crown.Kids (especially babies), kittens and puppies should be excluded in any contest unless specified. They have an unfair "cuteness" advantage. Doesn't take much to shoot a baby or a kitten any day, but there is not much creativity in it.

Be original, guys.Look through the lens...
Edit:

The last night at the cabin, campfire with my friends and neighbors.

HPNX0051.jpg

I didn't get a vacation this summer. This was taken of the mirror sculpture in Millenium park during my internship at Argonne Natl. Lab a couple summers ago. If you look hard I must be in it...but I can't find myself!

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2267/anl.jpg

Equate said:
Kind a' boring, this contest, don't you think? :(

Mountains? Any day. Not very creative...

Anyone could win this one by finding a picture of a beach one shot with a glaring sunset/sunrise along with a bunch of kids/kittens/puppies, baby chihuahuas and they would take the crown.

Kids (especially babies), kittens and puppies should be excluded in any contest unless specified. They have an unfair "cuteness" advantage. Doesn't take much to shoot a baby or a kitten any day, but there is not much creativity in it.

Be original, guys.

Look through the lens...

Edit:

Once you start posting your award winning, incredibly original photographs, we'll listen to you.

NaturesHourglass.jpg

I took this last summer at a family reunion on the Columbia River in Washington, we were lucky enough to all meet there again this summer.

Really nice photo binzing.

please don't post images to the thread unless it's your entry (I end up putting them in the polling thread :rolleyes:)
Text links are fine.

Holiday on Lake Constanz taken from flower island Mainau in South Germany

29m101g.jpg

It's from two years ago when we lived in that areas and we took all holiday visitors there to touch paradise feeling.

Last edited:
Yup! Hard to believe, but this is where I went to this past summer! :)

img5126u.jpg

Zz.

zapperz said:
yup! Hard to believe, but this is where i went to this past summer! :)

img5126u.jpg

zz.

wow!

Ivan Seeking said:
wow!

It's not as exotic as you think! :)

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
It's not as exotic as you think! :)

Zz.

Is that the Matterhorn at Disneyland?

hypatia said:
Really nice photo binzing.

Thank you, its one of the few that I've thought would be worthy to, and have tried to, sell.

Maroc, you may want to consult the opening post about how to display your beautiful image. If you don't, it will be disqualified from the contest. Here are the relevant parts:

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how. ("Me" in this case is matthyaous)

Good luck!

GeorginaS said:
Maroc, you may want to consult the opening post about how to display your beautiful image.

Maroc, just open your image in Microsoft 'Paint' and select resize image, in your case select 25% for horizontal and vertical. The simplest way I know to upload images is via www.tinypic.com. No need for membership or signing in. Just upload. Then copy the output in the second box (IMG code for forum) and paste that.

I did the first steps for this result:

http://i32.tinypic.com/9r24q9.jpg

now for now you only can copy that url and change the "url" in the tags to "img" so it looks like (no spaces):

Code:
[PLAIN] picture http [/PLAIN]

binzing said:
Is that the Matterhorn at Disneyland?

It's Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.

I was just impressed by the "artifacts" that they've constructed across the pond from the attraction that mimics the silhouette of the mountain tops.

Zz.

Hmm, those places look more exotic than my backyard - which is about as far as I've gone for the last few years.

marcin_summer_holidays.jpg

Taken yesterday - funny how similar it is to the previous one, but this is completely different place (foggy flats over a river, not a hilly place), completely different hour (sunrise at 5:53 a.m., not sunset), completely different situation.

ZapperZ said:
It's Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom.

I was just impressed by the "artifacts" that they've constructed across the pond from the attraction that mimics the silhouette of the mountain tops.

Zz.

:smile: I thought that was from your other vacation!

"junglebeast" wins!

:approve:

Equate said:
"junglebeast" wins!

:approve:

We're a bit more democratic here, we vote. : P

Borek, very nice composition on that one. I like it much more than the previous

Andre said:
Maroc, just open your image in Microsoft 'Paint' and select resize image, in your case select 25% for horizontal and vertical. The simplest way I know to upload images is via www.tinypic.com. No need for membership or signing in. Just upload. Then copy the output in the second box (IMG code for forum) and paste that.

I did the first steps for this result:

http://i32.tinypic.com/9r24q9.jpg

now for now you only can copy that url and change the "url" in the tags to "img" so it looks like (no spaces):

Code:
[PLAIN] picture http [/PLAIN]

thank you so much

9r24q9.jpg

Maroc said:
thank you so much

That looks great, Maroc...must have been impressive standing under it!

Greg, can you post your pic in IMG tags? I can't post attachments to the voting thread.

lisab said:
That looks great, Maroc...must have been impressive standing under it!

more than great, It was Amazing!

Nice entries guys. Junglebeast, I really like yours. It's so unusual. Not the norm. I like Binzing's cascade of sand too. That's a gorgeous scene Borek. And Maroc, I'm glad you managed to sort your entry out. It looks really imposing from that angle.

I've just got back from a couple of nights in Whitby, North Yorkshire and have a couple of potential entries from there. My first choice features a friend so I'm waiting for her to OK it before showing the world her picture.

I must admit my picture looks much better when seen large (like 1280x1024 on my monitor) and the effect depends on the brightness. I have two monitor setup here, and the difference - while barely visible in my normal work with text/programming - is huge. Slightly darker version looks completely from the other world.

Have you spotted four birds on the picture, just in the center? :smile:

Borek said:
I must admit my picture looks much better when seen large (like 1280x1024 on my monitor) and the effect depends on the brightness. I have two monitor setup here, and the difference - while barely visible in my normal work with text/programming - is huge. Slightly darker version looks completely from the other world.

Have you spotted four birds on the picture, just in the center? :smile:

I believe it...it's a major annoyance for me, because presentation makes such a huge difference I think...even a "minor" adjustment like 800 down to 640 can sometimes seem to turn gold into ****

Anyway, I found all 7 birds ;)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3143/birdsw.jpg