Physicists Debate: Hardest Upper Division Subject to Teach

• Thread starter tiyusufaly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary,I think that the hardest upper division subject in physics to teach is probably statistical mechanics. It can be difficult for students to understand the theory, and it can be challenging for the teacher to teach the material well.

What is the most difficult upper division undergraduate / beginning graduate subject to teach?

• Classical Mechanics

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Electricity and Magnetism

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Quantum Mechanics

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Statistical Mechanics

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
tiyusufaly
I wanted your thoughts on something. What, in your opinion, is the hardest upper division subject in physics to teach? Not necessarily the most difficult to learn, but to teach?

Science news on Phys.org
tiyusufaly said:
What, in your opinion, is the hardest upper division subject in physics to teach? Not necessarily the most difficult to learn, but to teach?
I think that this is subjective.

Likes Math100, Astronuc, vanhees71 and 3 others
@George Jones
I voted Electricity and Magnetism and this was the text I used in that class:
small IMG_3757.jpg

tiyusufaly said:
I wanted your thoughts on something. What, in your opinion, is the hardest upper division subject in physics to teach? Not necessarily the most difficult to learn, but to teach?
I have only devised lesson plans and taught classes in EM including QM as it relates to radar science to graduate students and students close to graduating, primarily engineers.

In my opinion more depends on the students than the teacher and my hand-picked students, being motivated professionals, were a pleasure to teach. I learned something new every class I prepared and taught. I love EM and QM and like to think my enthusiasm was reciprocated by students and observers.

Textbooks were supplied by MIT originally supervised by Princeton professor Robert Dicke.

Teaching the associated labs on actual electronic devices probably formed the most difficult section. Students might readily grasp theory yet hesitate at manipulating actual EM fields. We solved this difficulty by employing experienced lab techs who, while indifferent lecturers, safely guided laboratory students through the nuances of applied physics.

If memory serves, beginning EM students attended three lecture days and one lab day per week. Advanced students attended daily morning lectures and afternoon labs with Q&A sessions before and after as new material was introduced. Frequent practical labs definitely helped students assimilate theory.

Likes Astronuc, bhobba and vanhees71
When a colleague is on sabbatical, taking over some of his/her classes for a year.

Likes Astronuc, DaveE and vanhees71
I voted for stat mech, although my real bête noire was classical thermo. All those partial derivative relationships, ugh!

I got stuck with it because neither of the other two people in my department wanted it or could fit it in. Eventually I found a textbook I really liked: Schroeder. However, I was able to use it only twice before I retired.

Likes PhDeezNutz, George Jones, vanhees71 and 1 other person
jtbell said:
I voted for stat mech, although my real bête noire was classical thermo. All those partial derivative relationships, ugh!

I got stuck with it because neither of the other two people in my department wanted it or could fit it in. Eventually I found a textbook I really liked: Schroeder. However, I was able to use it only twice before I retired.

As an undergraduate and as a grad student, I didn't like thermo or stat mech.
After having taught other undergrad courses in my tour as a VAP, I had an opportunity to teach stat mech... and I asked for it. I taught out of Schroeder... and learned to like it somewhat. I've taught it four times using Schroeder since then, learning more subtleties and appreciating more of the applications each time.

(Side note: I've been thinking about using differential forms in thermodynamics.. in particular, visualizing them. I presented a poster on the idea at an AAPT meeting. Hoping for some encouragement, Schroeder didn't seem to appreciate it... seemingly dismissing it as something that would be of more interest to a math person rather than a physics person. While true (at this time), I said that my approach for doing geometry on a PV-diagram is analogous to a Minkowski diagram for special relativity. That didn't change his response. I think I need to sell the idea better.)

Likes PhDeezNutz, Astronuc, George Jones and 1 other person
I have taught all of the courses, and, for me, it was statistical mechanics. In a long teaching career at 7 universities, I have taught more than two dozen courses, but I had never taught statistical mechanics until the fall of 2020. I did teach second-year thermal physics from Schroeder in 2012.

4 weeks before the start of lectures In 2020, I was asked if I would teach fourth-year statistical mechanics as an emergency fill-in, and as a paid work overload. I had to prepare on-line lectures (COVID) for a course that I had never before taught, and that I had taken as a student 4 decades earlier.

Likes Orthoceras, Astronuc, dextercioby and 4 others
As an undergraduate,
I learned an alternative name for statistical mechanics: "sadistical mechanics".

• Haha
Likes CalcNerd, bhobba, Physics Slayer and 7 others
robphy said:
As an undergraduate,
I learned an alternative name for statistical mechanics: "sadistical mechanics".
statistical damnamics where i went to school

• Haha
Likes Physics Slayer, vanhees71 and robphy
I have never taught any of the courses (though I would like to teach them all), but based in undergrad and grad experience with the topics, I would say that electrodynamics seems to be the more difficult one.

robphy said:
As an undergraduate,
Dr Transport said:
statistical damnamics where i went to school
For the classical stuff, I learned "thernomydamnics".

Likes robphy
Well, I guess it depends on your audience. I voted for QM. Ordinary math/physics majors that do QM would be fine. Math majors that have done Hilbert Spaces would be a hoot. I can include Gleasons Theorem (modern POVM version) and show the basic mathematical foundation of QM is encoding the outcomes as the eigenvalues of an operator. The one that fills me with dread is philosophy students. For me, that would be murder. I would be saying all the time - who cares why it works - it just works. Remember, it is a model - like all of physics is. Do you want to go beyond that? Experience has shown that it is often a black hole you will never escape from and get nowhere. Then go over to the head of the philosophy department and 'suggest' they have a philosophy of QM course so that I can point such students in that direction.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz, Klystron and vanhees71
I have taught all four subjects on the list several times each. I voted for Classical Mechanics because that is the first course in the normal sequence of this list of courses. Because of that, few students have the necessary mathematical background in its entirety: three semesters of calculus, basic linear algebra and ODEs. Those who have the background have not seen it used. I will never forget a student in that class who came up to me and said, "how do I take the derivative of this expression where y is a function of x and x is a function of t?" "What do you mean?", I asked, "Just use the chain rule." He looked at me in astonishment and said "But that's math, it's not physics." He was a good student that just hadn't made the connection.

Likes Astronuc, vanhees71, berkeman and 3 others
Klystron said:
I have only devised lesson plans and taught classes in EM including QM as it relates to radar science to graduate students and students close to graduating, primarily engineers.

In my opinion more depends on the students than the teacher and my hand-picked students, being motivated professionals, were a pleasure to teach. I learned something new every class I prepared and taught. I love EM and QM and like to think my enthusiasm was reciprocated by students and observers.

Textbooks were supplied by MIT originally supervised by Princeton professor Robert Dicke.

Teaching the associated labs on actual electronic devices probably formed the most difficult section. Students might readily grasp theory yet hesitate at manipulating actual EM fields. We solved this difficulty by employing experienced lab techs who, while indifferent lecturers, safely guided laboratory students through the nuances of applied physics.

If memory serves, beginning EM students attended three lecture days and one lab day per week. Advanced students attended daily morning lectures and afternoon labs with Q&A sessions before and after as new material was introduced. Frequent practical labs definitely helped students assimilate theory.
I agree that it depends very much on the students. As for me, the most difficult thing is to apply knowledge in practice, because theory is just to remember information and how the lecturer delivers it.

Related to Physicists Debate: Hardest Upper Division Subject to Teach

What is the topic of "Physicists Debate: Hardest Upper Division Subject to Teach"?

The topic of this debate is the difficulty of teaching upper division physics courses.

Why do physicists consider upper division courses to be the hardest to teach?

Physicists consider upper division courses to be the hardest to teach because they often involve complex and abstract concepts that are difficult for students to grasp. These courses also require a strong understanding of fundamental principles and advanced mathematical skills, making them challenging for both students and instructors.

Which upper division courses are typically considered the hardest to teach?

The specific upper division courses that are considered the hardest to teach may vary, but some commonly mentioned subjects include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. These courses often require students to think in new and abstract ways, which can be challenging for both students and instructors.

What are some strategies that physicists use to make teaching upper division courses easier?

Some strategies that physicists use to make teaching upper division courses easier include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, using real-world examples and applications, and providing opportunities for students to engage with the material through hands-on experiments or projects. They may also use a variety of teaching methods and resources to cater to different learning styles.

How do physicists address the challenge of teaching upper division courses to students with varying levels of preparation?

To address the challenge of teaching upper division courses to students with varying levels of preparation, physicists may offer review materials or resources for students to brush up on foundational concepts. They may also provide extra support and guidance for struggling students, such as one-on-one tutoring or study groups. Additionally, some instructors may adjust the pace or difficulty level of the course to accommodate students with different levels of preparation.