Please check find residue problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter ognik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Residue
In summary, when finding the residues for $f(z) = \frac{sin(\frac{1}{z}) }{z^2 + a^2}$, we can use the fact that there are 2 simple poles, $\pm ia$, and that $z_0^2 = -a^2$ to simplify the calculation. The correct result is $Res[f, ia] = -\frac{sinh(\frac{1}{a})}{2a}$, as proven by following the steps and correcting a mistake made when using $z_0^2 = -a^2$.
ognik
Hi - I get a different answer from the book, but please also review for correct mathematical language & notation ...

find residues for $ f(z) = \frac{sin(\frac{1}{z}) }{z^2 + a^2} $ There are 2 simple poles, $ \pm ia $ ; also I note that $ {z}_{o}^2 = -a^2 $ which proves useful for simplifying.

$ Res[f, ia] = \lim_{{z}\to{{z}_{0}}}\frac{(z - {z}_{0})sin(\frac{1}{z})}{z^2 - {z}_{0}^2} =
\lim_{{z}\to{{z}_{0}}} \frac{sin(\frac{1}{z})}{z + {z}_{0}} = \frac{sin(\frac{1}{ia})}{2ia} $

Now $ sin(i\theta) = i sinh(\theta) $, so $ Res[f, ia] = \frac{sinh(\frac{1}{a})}{2a} = Res[f, -ia] $

But the book says it should be $ - \frac{sinh(\frac{1}{a})}{2a} $ ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
But the book says it should be $ - \frac{sinh(\frac{1}{a})}{2a} $ ?
Follow the steps, and try to find your mistake when using $z_0^2=-a^2$
$$\text{Res}[f, ia] = \lim_{{z}\to{ ia}}\frac{(z - ia)\sin \left(\frac{1}{z}\right)}{(z-ia)(z+ia)} = \lim_{{z}\to{ia}} \frac{\sin\left(\frac{1}{z}\right)}{z + ia} = \frac{\sin\left(\frac{1}{ia}\right)}{2ia}$$ $$=\frac{\sin\left(-i\frac{1}{a}\right)}{2ia}=\frac{-\sin\left(i\frac{1}{a}\right)}{2ia}=\frac{-i\sinh\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)}{2ia}=-\frac{\sinh\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)}{2a}.$$

Yes, just a silly mistake, thanks Fernando

Related to Please check find residue problem

1. What is a residue problem?

A residue problem is a scientific term that refers to the remaining substance or material after a process or reaction has taken place. It can also refer to the contaminants or impurities left behind in a sample.

2. How do I check for residues?

To check for residues, you can use a variety of techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, or microscopy. These methods allow you to identify and analyze the composition of the residue to determine its origin and potential effects.

3. Why is it important to check for residues in a scientific experiment?

Checking for residues is important because they can affect the accuracy and validity of your results. Residues can also indicate incomplete reactions or contamination, which can impact the reliability of your data.

4. How can residues be removed?

The method for removing residues depends on the type of residue and the surface it is on. Some common techniques include washing with solvents, using detergents or acids, or physical methods such as scraping or wiping.

5. What precautions should be taken when handling residues?

When handling residues, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear and follow safety protocols to avoid any potential health hazards. It is also essential to properly dispose of residues in accordance with regulations and guidelines to prevent any environmental contamination.