Poles on Real Line: Is \(z = \pm a\) Included?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Poles
In summary: This is because the integrand is dominated at infinity by the $z^{2}$ term. So the integral over a large semicircle tends to zero.In summary, the integral \(\displaystyle \int_{-a}^{a}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}\big(x^2 + b^2\big)}\) has poles at \(z = \pm ib\) and the poles at the integration boundaries at \(z = \pm a\) are not included. The correct answer is \(\frac{\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}\) and the Mathematica answer of \(\frac{i\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2
Dustinsfl
\[
\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}\big(x^2 + b^2\big)},
\quad a,b\text{ real}
\]
So we have poles at \(z = \pm ib\) but are the poles at the integration boundaries included at \(z = \pm a\)?

Should I have
\[
2\pi i \lim_{z\to b}(z - ib)\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2 - z^2}(z^2 + b^2)} = \frac{\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}
\]
or if I use the poles at the end points by taking pi i poles real + 2pi i UHP, I get the same answer as above. However, in matheatica, I get
\[
\frac{i\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2 - b^2}}
\]
so I am missing an \(i\) and I have + instead of a -.

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
\[
\int_{-a}^{a}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}\big(x^2 + b^2\big)},
\quad a,b\text{ real}
\]
So we have poles at \(z = \pm ib\) but are the poles at the integration boundaries included at \(z = \pm a\)?

Should I have
\[
2\pi i \lim_{z\to b}(z - ib)\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2 - z^2}(z^2 + b^2)} = \frac{\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}
\]
or if I use the poles at the end points by taking pi i poles real + 2pi i UHP, I get the same answer as above. However, in matheatica, I get
\[
\frac{i\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2 - b^2}}
\]
so I am missing an \(i\) and I have + instead of a -.
The integral of a real function over a real interval cannot possibly be imaginary. So the Mathematica answer is obviously rubbish.

I don't see where poles come into this at all. If you make the substitution $x=a\sin\theta$ then the integral becomes \(\displaystyle \int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\frac{d\theta}{a^2\sin^2\theta + b^2}\). That can be integrated by elementary means and the result is \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{b\sqrt{a^2+b^2}}.\)

The points $z = \pm a$ are not poles. They're branch points.

To evaluate the integral using contour integration the proper contour would be a dogbone/dumbell contour where the branch cut is on $[-a,a]$.

The fact that it equals $ \displaystyle 2 \pi i \ \text{Res} \Big[\frac{1}{\sqrt{a^{2}-z^{2}}(z^2+b^2)},ib\Big]$ is the result of the residue at infinity being zero.

Related to Poles on Real Line: Is \(z = \pm a\) Included?

1. What are poles on the real line?

Poles on the real line refer to points on the real number line where a function becomes undefined or infinite. They are commonly seen in the context of complex analysis, where they represent singularities of a complex function.

2. How do poles on the real line affect a function?

Poles on the real line can cause a function to be undefined or infinite at certain points. This can significantly impact the behavior of the function, leading to discontinuities or other irregularities.

3. Is the point z = ±a considered a pole on the real line?

Yes, the point z = ±a is considered a pole on the real line. This means that the function is undefined or infinite at this point, and it can affect the behavior of the function.

4. Are all poles on the real line included in the set of points z = ±a?

No, not all poles on the real line are included in the set of points z = ±a. There may be other points on the real line where the function becomes undefined or infinite, depending on the specific function being analyzed.

5. How can one determine if a function has a pole on the real line at z = ±a?

To determine if a function has a pole on the real line at z = ±a, you can analyze the behavior of the function at these points. If the function becomes undefined or infinite at z = ±a, then it is considered a pole on the real line.