Potential Step and Wave Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the spatial wave function for different ranges of x and the corresponding values of k. It also mentions the possibility of a standing wave, which can be obtained by multiplying the spatial wave function by exp(-iwt). The solution provided is deemed correct by the expert.
DunceMoin

Homework Statement

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For x>b, Ψ(x) = Ae-ikx + Beikx , where k = (√2mE)/hbar
a<x<b Ψ(x) = Ce-ik'x + Deik'x , where k = (√2m(U2 - E)/hbar

This is the problem part
0<x<a Ψ(x) = Fsink''x , where k = (√2m(E+U1)/hbar
I think this should be a standing wave, but am not sure if I am correct or not as I've never encountered a question like this before.

x<0 Ψ(x) = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you solution is correct. As concerns the standing wave, note that the spatial wave function should be multiplied by exp(-iwt) with w=E/hbar in order to get the solution to the Shrodinger equation. This will give you a standing wave.

Related to Potential Step and Wave Functions

1. What is a potential step in quantum mechanics?

A potential step in quantum mechanics refers to a sudden change in the potential energy of a particle. This change can occur at a boundary or interface between two regions with different potential energies. In other words, it is a discontinuity in the potential energy function.

2. How does a potential step affect the wave function of a particle?

A potential step affects the wave function of a particle by causing a reflection and transmission of the wave. At the boundary, the wave function splits into a transmitted wave and a reflected wave. The amplitudes of these waves depend on the energy of the particle and the height and width of the potential step.

3. What is the wave function of a particle in a potential step?

The wave function of a particle in a potential step is a combination of a transmitted wave and a reflected wave. This wave function can be described by a mathematical equation, such as the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the energy of the particle and the potential energy of the step.

4. How does the height and width of a potential step affect the behavior of the wave function?

The height and width of a potential step affect the behavior of the wave function by determining the amount of reflection and transmission at the boundary. A higher and wider potential step will result in a larger reflection and less transmission, while a lower and narrower step will result in a smaller reflection and more transmission.

5. What are some real-world applications of potential steps and wave functions?

Potential steps and wave functions have many applications in various fields, such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and electronics. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of particles and waves in different materials and devices, such as transistors, diodes, and quantum wells. They also play a crucial role in technologies like semiconductors, lasers, and solar cells.