Preparing for Grad School: Mastering Classical Mechanics for High Energy Theory

• Thread starter DanielA
  • Start date
In summary, preparing for grad school and mastering classical mechanics is crucial for those interested in high energy theory. Classical mechanics is the foundation for understanding physical systems and equations, making it an essential skill for advanced studies in physics. It is recommended to have a strong background in calculus and linear algebra before delving into classical mechanics, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques. Familiarizing oneself with Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, as well as vector calculus, can greatly aid in comprehending the fundamentals of high energy theory. Additionally, having a solid understanding of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics can also be beneficial for further studies in this field. Overall, mastering classical mechanics is a key step in preparing for the rigors of grad school and
DanielA
I'm Daniel, I just finished my Physics Undergrad, but to prepare for grad school, ideally in high energy theory, I'm going back and reviewing/filling in holes in my knowledge.

In particular, I'm terrible at mechanics because I was a lazy sophomore when I took it (and it was an engineering focused one and not a full classical mechanics course) so I'm teaching myself with the assistance of the homework (with no answers) from the professor for the class and a textbook. I spent my last semester reviewing Physics 1 level mechanics so I'm much more comfortable with the basics than I used to be.

I'm hoping the forum will help me study for my Physics GRE retake in April, where I need to be very comfortable with at least classical mechanics to do well

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!