Pressure on a Capsule within an Enclosure (Underwater @ 500m)

cambeaux
TL;DR Summary
For this engineering project I am trying to understand how the pressure would be distributed (if at all) throughout. I am not sure how the pressure would be felt or distributed within this implosion capsule (will be filled with air). Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_6101.jpg

For this engineering project I am trying to understand how the pressure would be distributed (if at all) throughout the enclosure.
It will be at a depth of 500 meters (4888 kPA).

It is designed with a stainless steel enclosure which can withstand the external pressure at this depth. Inside is the implosion capsule, this will need to implode around this depth (+- 50 m), shrinking to release the spring tension, dropping the block, allowing the steel balls to retreat into the space and release cargo on the sea floor.

I am not sure how the pressure would be felt or distributed within this implosion capsule (will be filled with air). Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I should also note this will be attached to an ROV, and the cargo will be a clump weight of 30-50 lb

cambeaux said:
I should also note this will be attached to an ROV, and the cargo will be a clump weight of 30-50 lb
That little thing in your picture is 50 pounds? How big is this capsule?

1715287438761.png

Also, can you post a more detailed drawing of this thing, and identify what each material is (steel, air, etc.)? What "implodes" to release the payload (or payload holder)?

Likes cambeaux
berkeman said:
That little thing in your picture is 50 pounds? How big is this capsule?

View attachment 344864

Also, can you post a more detailed drawing of this thing, and identify what each material is (steel, air, etc.)? What "implodes" to release the payload (or payload holder)?
Here are some more sketches I made. Let me know if this makes this any clearer... sorry this is a pretty new concept that I was recommended to look into. The inner cylinder would ideally implode INSIDE the enclosure to release the spring in tension. The clump weight would be held around the enclosure with a washer (this part hasn't been discussed too in depth yet). The clump weight would be what is 50 lb., this smaller "device" would just be what would trigger its release at a certain depth. The clump weight is necessary to get our ROV to a deep depth so we don't run its batteries dead.
IMG_6102.jpg
IMG_6103.jpg
IMG_6102.jpgIMG_6103.jpg
IMG_6104.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, a few more questions to help me understand...

** How much of the 50 pounds does the spring have to hold? (I assume the rest is resisted by the (spring loaded?) steel balls?

** How does the water get into the steel enclosure to compress the plastic plug thing?

Where is the 50 pound payload weight? Is it suspended somehow below this release mechanism, or is it somehow one of the components inside the mechanism that you've drawn?

cambeaux said:
Here are some more sketches I made.
Thanks.
First question: Which way will the water be admitted? Through or round the sides of the piece with the balls?
Second question: What are the balls for? A detent mechanism?