Prime Factorization Homework Problem 1

In summary, the answer to the question is 12 weeks, as this is the lowest common multiple of the frequencies at which Margo, Roberto, and Randa have activities. This can be found by factoring the denominators (2, 3, and 4) and taking the largest group of prime factors (2 * 2 * 3) which gives the LCM of 12.
shawonna23

Homework Statement

Margo has piano lessons every two weeks. Her brother Roberto has a soccer tournament every three weeks. Her sister Randa has an orthodontist appointment every four weeks. If they all have activities this Friday, how long will it be before all of their activities fall on the same day again?

Homework Equations

Factored 2, 3, and 4

The Attempt at a Solution

6 weeks

Physics news on Phys.org
Try literally making a table or chart. The description you gave seems to suggest to look for the lowest common multiple.

Thanks! Is my answer correct?

Chart making would take time, I think. I think this can be also solve by the solution I just mentioned. Like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4. And 1/(sum of the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4), and the answer is 0.9. As the answer is larger than 1/4(once a four week)which is 0.25, I think you got the right answer, but I don't know...Sorry :^(

Thanks!

I'm not one to be trusted in math, but I think the answer is 12 weeks.

Here's how I got that:

Frequencies = 1/2 ; 1/3 ; 1/4

Least (Lowest) Common Multiple - 12

How I arrived at 12 (i.e., factoring the denominators)

1/2 = 2
1/3 = 3
1/4 = 2 * 2

Since the twos repeat, take only the biggest group of prime factored twos (the 2 * 2 from the 1/4) and take the 3. Multiply them together 2 * 2 * 3 = 12.

12 = LCM, t/f 12 weeks from now.

(Then I drew out a chart and checked it & it seemed to work out correctly).

It can't be six weeks because Randa's appointment is every 4 weeks and that does not work.

I didn't really bother doing any calculations but let's make a little table anyway.

Margo has lessons every 2 weeks: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20
Boberto has soccer every 3 weeks: 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18
Randa has an appointment every 4 weeks: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20

As you can see, the lowest common multiple is 12 and not 6. I'm also not the one to be trusted in math but I think that's the answer you're looking for.

Related to Prime Factorization Homework Problem 1

What is prime factorization?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a number into its prime factors, which are the prime numbers that when multiplied together, equal the original number.

Why is prime factorization important?

Prime factorization is important because it allows us to find the simplest form of a number and understand its factors. It is also used in many mathematical and scientific applications.

How do you find the prime factors of a number?

To find the prime factors of a number, you can use a factor tree or divide the number by its smallest prime factor until you reach all prime numbers.

What is the difference between prime factorization and composite factorization?

Prime factorization only includes the prime numbers that are factors of a given number, while composite factorization includes all of the factors, including non-prime numbers.

What is the prime factorization of 1?

The prime factorization of 1 is 1. This is because 1 is not considered to be a prime number and has no other factors.