Prime Factorization Homework Problem 2

In summary, if a senator was elected in the presidential election year of 2000, they would campaign again during the presidential election year of 2012.
shawonna23

Homework Statement

Presidential elections are held every four years. Senators are elected every 6 years. If a senator was elected in the presidential election year of 2000, in what year would he or she campaign again during a presidential election year?

Homework Equations

dont know how I would show the answer using factorization

2000+6=2006 2000+4=2004+4=2008

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
We need more information on this one. Anyway, try making a table of values starting with year 2000. Again, this seems to be a lowest common factor problem. There is a 4 and a 6, so ... ? ...!

This was all the information I was provided for that question. Do I have the correct answer?

Ok, same caveat (not very good at math), but here's what I think:

Here's how I arrived at that.

i) Forget the 2000s, they are just confusing. Since it starts at 0, just focus on the 4 and the 6. A president gets elected every 4 years & a senator every 6 years.

ii) Find the lowest (least?) common multiple of 4 and 6 by prime factoring each one.

4 = 2 * 2​
6 = 3 * 2​

iii) Since there are 2s in both groups, circle the largest grouping of 2s (4 = 2*2) and not the other one.

iv) Multiply all the circled prime factors (2*2*3) and you get 12.

v) Draw a chart to check the answer.

Look for their lowest common multiple. And that number is 12.

2000 + 12 = the year 2012

Related to Prime Factorization Homework Problem 2

1. What is prime factorization?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a composite number into its prime factors. This means finding the smallest prime numbers that can multiply together to make the original number.

2. How do I find the prime factors of a number?

To find the prime factors of a number, you can use the method of trial division. Start by dividing the number by the smallest prime number possible. If the number is divisible, continue dividing it by the same prime number until you get a remainder. Then move on to the next prime number and repeat the process until the remainder is equal to 1.

3. What is the difference between prime factorization and prime numbers?

Prime factorization is the process of breaking down a composite number into its prime factors, while prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves. Prime factorization involves finding all the prime numbers that can be multiplied together to make the original number, while prime numbers are simply numbers that cannot be divided by any other number.

4. Why is prime factorization important?

Prime factorization is important in many areas of mathematics, including number theory and cryptography. It is also used in simplifying fractions and finding the greatest common divisor or least common multiple of two numbers. In addition, prime factorization can help determine if a number is prime or composite.

5. Can prime factorization be done for all numbers?

Yes, prime factorization can be done for all numbers, including large numbers. However, it can be more challenging to find the prime factors of very large numbers and may require the use of a calculator or computer program.