Problem involving m-tail of a sequence

• MHB
  • Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the problem is that while the sequence $X_mY$ is the same as $Y$ for an odd number of m, it diverges for any other m.
issacnewton
HelloI want to prove the following.
Let \(X\) and \(Y\) be two sequences,and \(XY\) converges. Then prove that
\(X_mY\) also converges,where
\[ X_m = \mbox{ m-tail of X } = (x_{m+n}\;:\; n\in \mathbb{N}) \]
Here is my proof.
let \(\lim\;(XY) = a \) . Then we have
\[ \forall \varepsilon >0\; \exists K_1 \in \mathbb{N} \;\forall n\geqslant K_1 \]
\[ |x_ny_n - a| < \varepsilon \]
Now let \(K = \max(K_1,\; m+1) \). The \( \forall n \geqslant K \) we have
\[|x_n y_n - a| < \varepsilon \].
But now all the \( (x_n) \) terms are values from the sequence \(X_m\). So
we have proven that
\[ \forall \varepsilon >0 \;\exists K \in \mathbb{N} \;\forall n\geqslant K \]
where \( x_n\) values are from sequence \(X_m\). This proves that
\[ \lim(X_m Y) = a \]which proves that \(X_mY\) also converges. Let me know if this is right
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
IssacNewton said:
I want to prove the following.
Let \(X\) and \(Y\) be two sequences, and \(XY\) converges. Then prove that
\(X_mY\) also converges,where
\[ X_m = \mbox{ m-tail of X } = (x_{m+n}\;:\; n\in \mathbb{N}) \]
This result is not true unless the sequences satisfy some additional conditions. For example, suppose that the sequences $X$ and $Y$ are given by $$X = (0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,\ldots), \qquad Y = (1,0,2,0,3,0,4,0,\ldots).$$ Then the sequence $XY$ consists entirely of zeros, and therefore converges. But if $m$ is an odd number then the sequence $X_mY$ is the same as $Y$, and it diverges.

I think that should be \(\displaystyle X_m Y_m \) .

Thanks Opalg

I see the mistake. But I am trying to see which step in my proof fails. I was trying to prove this result for using in another proof. And I just checked that another problem and it says that \(X\) does converge to some non zero number.

So which step fails in my proof.

Thanks

IssacNewton said:
So
we have proven that
\[ \forall \varepsilon >0 \;\exists K \in \mathbb{N} \;\forall n\geqslant K \]
where \( x_n\) values are from sequence \(X_m\). This proves that
\[ \lim(X_m Y) = a \]
The sequence $(x_ny_n)_{n=1}^\infty$ is $XY$ and not $X_mY$, assuming I interpret multiplication of sequences right. Then $X_mY$ is $(x_{m+n}y_n)_{n=1}^\infty$.

Hello Makarov,

Like I said, I made mistake in stating the problem. Thanks for pointing that out.

Related to Problem involving m-tail of a sequence

What is the m-tail of a sequence?

The m-tail of a sequence refers to the last m elements in the sequence, where m is a positive integer. It is essentially the "tail end" of the sequence.

Why is the m-tail of a sequence important?

The m-tail of a sequence can provide valuable information about the overall pattern and behavior of the sequence. It can help identify trends, recurring patterns, and potential outliers.

How do you calculate the m-tail of a sequence?

To calculate the m-tail of a sequence, simply start from the end of the sequence and count backwards m elements. These elements will make up the m-tail of the sequence.

What is the significance of choosing a specific value for m when analyzing the m-tail of a sequence?

The value of m will determine the size of the m-tail and can impact the insights gained from analyzing it. A larger m-tail may provide a more comprehensive understanding of the sequence, while a smaller m-tail may focus on more recent data.

How can the m-tail of a sequence be used to solve problems?

The m-tail of a sequence can be used to identify patterns and trends, make predictions, and detect anomalies or outliers. It can also be used to compare different sequences and evaluate their similarities and differences.