Problem on integrating dirac delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a specific URL and how it relates to the Heaviside step function. The Dirac Delta function is mentioned and its properties are explained, including its role in the backprojection of the Radon transform. The conversation also mentions the convenience of using the Dirac Delta in proving certain concepts.
tan90ds
Hi there,
I am trying to integrate this: http://imm.io/oqKi
I should get the second line from the integral, but I can't show it.
This should somehow relate to the Heaviside step function, or I am completely wrong.
Any ideas?

Sorry about the url, I fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is "imm.io/oqKi "?

Anyhow, whatever "imm.io/oqKi " is:

The Dirac delta "function" isn't a function in the usual sense, so can't integrate it in the usual sense, either.

The "Dirac delta funtion" is not really a function, as arildno says. It is a "generalized function" or "distribution"- a linear operator on functions.

By definition
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)\delta(x)dx= f(0)[/tex]
if a< 0< b, 0 otherwise.

That means that
[tex]\int_a^b \delta(g(x))f(x) dx= f(c)[/tex]
if g(c)= 0 for some c between a and b.

HallsofIvy said:
The "Dirac delta funtion" is not really a function, as arildno says. It is a "generalized function" or "distribution"- a linear operator on functions.

By definition
[tex]\int_a^b f(x)\delta(x)dx= f(0)[/tex]
if a< 0< b, 0 otherwise.

That means that
[tex]\int_a^b \delta(g(x))f(x) dx= f(c)
if g(c)= 0 for some c between a and b.

This makes sense for why they put [tex](x-x_0)\cos(\theta)+(y-y_0)\sin(\theta)=0[/tex] after the second line.

Actually I am in the middle of proving the simple backprojection of the Radon transform of a dot can be viewed as a two dimensional convolution of [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}[/tex] and the original function. I used the Dirac Delta to formulate the dot, so this is just for the convenience of prove.

The Dirac Delta also has this property:[tex]\int\delta(\alpha x)dx = \frac{1}{|\alpha|}[/tex], I think this might help.

Last edited:

Related to Problem on integrating dirac delta function

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that has a value of zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is used to model point-like interactions in physics and engineering.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function represented mathematically?

The Dirac Delta Function is represented mathematically as δ(x), where x is the variable and δ is the symbol for the function. It is often defined as the limit of a tall and narrow pulse function as its height approaches infinity and its width approaches zero.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function represents a point-like interaction or impulse in a physical system. It is often used to model the behavior of particles or waves at a specific location or time.

4. How is the Dirac Delta Function used in integration?

The Dirac Delta Function is used to integrate functions that are multiplied by it. This is known as the sifting property, where the integral of a function multiplied by the Dirac Delta Function is equal to the value of the function at the origin.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has many applications in physics and engineering, such as modeling point masses in mechanics, modeling point charges in electromagnetism, and solving differential equations in control theory. It is also used in signal processing and image processing to detect and filter specific frequencies or values.