Problem with previewing Latex images

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter hkBattousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images Latex
In summary: When I previewed these four LaTeX images, I got the two images from my previous post instead of 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 were fine.It seems to me that something else must be wrong, in addition to the fact that somebody is caching something. How does a transparent proxy know what image to use from the cache? Isn't the image identified by a file name or something?
hkBattousai
This forum has a problem with Latex for a long time.

Please try it yourself:
  1. Start writing a new post
  2. Write down a Latex text in it (with "[latex ]...[/latex ]" tags)
  3. Preview your Latex output (press the "Preview Post" button - No problem until now)
  4. Now change your Latex text and press the "Preview Post" button again
  5. On this second preview, you don't see the latest change in your Latex, you see the output of your very first edition of you Latex text

I thing this is because of browser cache. When I browse my posted topic in a different browser, I see the change, but the same browser does not update the image. I'm experiencing this problem with only this forum, the other forums has no problem with Latex. Actually, I'm previewing Latex using another forum before posting here...

Can you please fix this?

Physics news on Phys.org
hkBattousai said:
  1. Start writing a new post
  2. Write down a Latex text in it (with "[latex ]...[/latex ]" tags)
  3. Preview your Latex output (press the "Preview Post" button - No problem until now)
  4. Now change your Latex text and press the "Preview Post" button again
  5. On this second preview, you don't see the latest change in your Latex, you see the output of your very first edition of you Latex text

Step 6: hit the "refresh" or "reload page" button on your browser.

hkBattousai said:
This forum has a problem with Latex for a long time.
And yet it didn't occur to you that there might be other threads about this. :wink:

This is what I said in one of the other two that are currently on the first page:
Fredrik said:
There's probably 20 threads about this already, but most of them just say that the workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview. It appears that we've had this problem since April 13, 2010. According to our LaTeX guy, chroot, nothing changed on the server around that time. The problem is essentially the same in all versions of all browsers, on all operating systems. This strongly suggests that the service provider started doing some weird caching around then. Has anyone been in contact with them? Maybe Greg just needs to ask them to configure an exception.

I don't know this web stuff well enough to know if something can be done on the server. Is it possible to configure the web server software to instruct proxies to not cache images?

It seems to me that something else must be wrong, in addition to the fact that somebody is caching something. How does a transparent proxy know what image to use from the cache? Isn't the image identified by a file name or something? When I previewed these four LaTeX images, I got the two images from my previous post instead of 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 were fine.

[tex]1[/tex]

[tex]2[/tex]

[tex]3[/tex]

[tex]4[/tex]

Can someone explain how that's possible?

Related to Problem with previewing Latex images

1. Why am I unable to preview Latex images?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One common reason is that the image file may be corrupted or not properly saved. Another reason could be an error in the Latex code used to generate the image. It is also possible that the software you are using to preview the image does not support Latex images.

2. How can I fix the problem with previewing Latex images?

To fix this issue, first check if the image file is properly saved and not corrupted. Then, double check the Latex code used to generate the image for any errors. You can also try using a different software or tool specifically designed for previewing Latex images. If the problem persists, it could be a compatibility issue with your operating system or device.

3. Can I preview Latex images on any device?

Yes, Latex images can be previewed on any device as long as it supports the software or tool used to generate and view the images. However, there may be some compatibility issues with certain devices or operating systems.

4. Are there any alternatives to previewing Latex images?

Yes, there are several alternatives to previewing Latex images. You can use online tools or converters to generate and preview the images. Another option is to use a Latex editor or compiler that allows you to preview the images within the program itself.

5. Can I use Latex images in other documents or presentations?

Yes, you can use Latex images in other documents or presentations. Most software and tools have the option to export the Latex image into a different format, such as PNG or PDF, which can then be easily inserted into other documents. However, the quality of the image may be affected during the conversion process.