How Does the Argument Principle Relate Poles and Zeros of Analytic Functions?

In summary, we have proven the Argument THM which states that for a function f(z) that is analytic in a closed simple curved gamma and has M poles and N zeros inside gamma, the integral of f'(z)/f(z) over gamma is equal to N-M. This was done by assuming that f(z) can be written as P(z)/Q(z) and using the Cauchy Integral Formula to simplify the integral. We also discussed the potential for generalizing this proof to any analytic function and noted a potential typo regarding the R.H in the first line. Thank you for your contribution to the discussion.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
[tex]\text{I will prove the Argument THM }[/tex]

[tex]\text{If f(z) is a function that is analytic in a closed simple curved }\gamma [/tex]
[tex]\text{ and has M Poles , and N Zeors inside }\gamma [/tex]

[tex]\text{Then : }\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\, \frac{f'(z)}{f(z)}\, dz \,=\, N-M [/tex]

[tex]\text{Assume : }f(z) = \frac{P(z)}{Q(z)}[/tex]
[tex]f'(z) = \frac{P'(z)Q(z) - P(z) Q'(z)}{(Q(z))^2}[/tex]

[tex]\text{R.H }\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\, \frac{f\frac{P'(z)Q(z) - P(z) Q'(z)}{(Q(z))^2}}{\frac{P(z)}{Q(z)}}\, dz [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{P'(z)Q(z) - P(z) Q'(z)}{Q(z)P(z)}\, dz [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{P'(z)}{P(z)}-\frac{ Q'(z)}{Q(z)}\, dz [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{P'(z)}{P(z)}\,dz \, -\, \frac{1}{2i\pi}\oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{ Q'(z)}{Q(z)}\, dz [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{P'(z)}{P(z)}\,dz [/tex]

[tex]\text{Assume : }P(z) = (z-z_0)(z-z_1)...(z-z_N)[/tex]

[tex]P'(z) = (z-z_1)...(z-z_N)+(z-z_0)...(z-z_N)+...+(z-z_0)...(z-z_{N-1})[/tex][tex]\frac{P'(z)}{P(z)} =\frac{ (z-z_1)...(z-z_N)+(z-z_0)...(z-z_N)+...+(z-z_0)...(z-z_{N-1})}{(z-z_0)(z-z_1)...(z-z_N)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\, \frac{ (z-z_1)...(z-z_N)+(z-z_0)...(z-z_N)+...+(z-z_0)...(z-z_{N-1})}{(z-z_0)(z-z_1)...(z-z_N)}\,dz [/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{1}{z-z_0}+\frac{1}{z-z_1}+...+\frac{1}{z-z_N} = N [/tex]

[tex]\text{similarily we can show : }\frac{1}{2i\pi}\oint_{\gamma}\,\frac{ Q'(z)}{Q(z)}\, dz = M [/tex][tex]\text{Then : }\frac{1}{2i\pi } \oint_{\gamma}\, \frac{f'(z)}{f(z)}\, dz \,=\, \fbox{N-M} \text{ W.R.T}[/tex]

Feel free to post any comments .

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your proof of the Argument THM. It seems like a solid and well-explained argument. I appreciate that you took the time to break down each step and provide explanations along the way.

One question I have is about the assumption that f(z) can be written as P(z)/Q(z). Is this a necessary assumption for the proof, or could it be generalized to any analytic function? Also, I'm not sure if you meant to include the R.H in the first line of your proof, as it doesn't seem to be used in the rest of the proof.

Overall, great job and thank you for contributing to the discussion on this topic. Keep up the good work!

Related to How Does the Argument Principle Relate Poles and Zeros of Analytic Functions?

1. What is the Proof of Argument Theorem?

The Proof of Argument Theorem is a mathematical concept that states if an argument is valid and all of its premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true.

2. How is the Proof of Argument Theorem different from other logical proofs?

The Proof of Argument Theorem specifically focuses on arguments, which are composed of premises and a conclusion, while other logical proofs may deal with different types of statements or propositions.

3. Can the Proof of Argument Theorem be applied to all arguments?

Yes, the Proof of Argument Theorem is a universal principle that can be applied to any argument, regardless of its subject matter or complexity.

4. Are there any limitations to the Proof of Argument Theorem?

There are a few limitations to the Proof of Argument Theorem, as it assumes that all premises and the conclusion are well-defined and unambiguous, and that there are no hidden premises or logical fallacies present in the argument.

5. How is the Proof of Argument Theorem used in scientific research?

The Proof of Argument Theorem is often used in scientific research to evaluate the validity of arguments and conclusions drawn from data or experiments. It helps scientists ensure that their conclusions are logically sound and supported by evidence.