Proof of Baby Rudin: Unique Real y for x & n

• Thread starter Mogarrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by Rudin for the theorem that every positive real number has a unique n-th root. The uniqueness portion is easily proven, and the existence is shown by defining a set E and using the least upper bound property. The strategy is to show that the cases where y^n < x and y^n > x are contradictory. One of the participants questions the wordiness of the proof, specifically the need to state that t ≥ (y-k) when y^n > x, but it is noted that this is necessary to show the contradiction. Another participant adds that the point of the theorem is to show the existence of unique n-th roots for all positive real numbers. The conversation also briefly mentions an identity used
Mogarrr
I think I've found a proof where Rudin is actually too wordy! For your welcomed inspection, I will type a part of said proof, then comment.

Theorem: For every x>0 and every integer n>0, there is a unique real y such that [itex] y^{n} = x [/itex]

Now the uniqueness portion is easy, since the reals are an ordered field.

Proof: Let E be the set of all positive real numbers t such that [itex] t^{n} < x [/itex]. If t=x/(1+x), then [itex]t^{n} \leq t < x [/itex] and t is not empty.
If t=1+x, then [itex]t^{n} \geq t > x [/itex], so 1+x is an upper bound for E.
This implies the existence of a y=supE.

At this point the strategy is to show that the cases where [itex]y^{n} <x [/itex], and [itex] y^{n} > x[/itex], are contradictory. To save time, I want to get to the point where I think Rudin is too wordy, that is the case where [itex] y^{n} > x [/itex].

Oh here's an identity he uses in the proof,

The identity [itex]b^{n} - a^{n} = (b-a)(b^{n-1} + b^{n-2}a + ... + a^{n-1}) [/itex] yields the inequality [itex] b^{n} - a^{n} < (b-a)nb^{n-1} [/itex], when 0<a<b.

Which isn't an identity for n=1. Did I just mess up this proof?

Back to the proof...

Assume [itex] y^{n} > x [/itex]. Put [itex] k = \frac {y^{n} - x}{ny^{n-1}} [/itex]. Then 0<k<y. If [itex]t \geq (y-k)[/itex], we conclude that [itex]y^{n} - t^{n} \leq y^{n} - (y-k)^{n} < kny^{n-1} = y^{n} - x [/itex]. Thus [itex]t^n > x [/itex] so [itex] t \notin E [/itex]. It follows that y-k is an upperbound of E. But (y-k)<y, which contradicts the fact that y is the least upper bound of E.

Besides the identity that I'm hung up on (which I didn't catch until I started to type this proof). I don't think it's necessary to point out that [itex] t \geq (y-k) [/itex], since, assuming I am mistaken about the said identity, I can write with less words that...

since 0<y-k<y, we have, [itex]y^{n} - (y-k)^{n} < kny^{n-1} = y^{n} - x [/itex]. This implies that (y-k)>x, and so (y-k) is an upper bound that is less than the Least Upper Bound y, which is a contradiction.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mogarrr said:
Which isn't an identity for n=1. Did I just mess up this proof?

Thought about this, and I realized that this doesn't matter. If n=1, then

[itex] y^{1}=y = x [/itex].

I'm glad I caught this. Still, any thoughts on the wordiness? Is it necessary to state that [itex] t \geq (y-k) [/itex] in the case where [itex] y^{n} > x [/itex] is considered?

Considering another train of thought, the whole point of this theorem is to show that there are many irrationals in R, right?

The point is to show every positive real x has an unique n-th root, for n=1,2,3,... Notice the third line in your 1st post.

WWGD said:
The point is to show every positive real x has an unique n-th root, for n=1,2,3,... Notice the third line in your 1st post.

Yes, this is a good/useful point. What do you think about the former question? Was it necessary to write [itex] t \geq (y-k) [/itex]?

I see, so (y-k)^n >x , so y-x is not in E, so y-k is an LUB <y . Yes, that seems like a correct point to me.

Likes 1 person

Related to Proof of Baby Rudin: Unique Real y for x & n

What is the "Proof of Baby Rudin" about?

The "Proof of Baby Rudin" is a mathematical proof that shows the uniqueness of the real number y for a given x and positive integer n in the context of Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" textbook.

Why is it important to prove the uniqueness of real numbers?

Proving the uniqueness of real numbers is important because it solidifies the foundation of real analysis, which is essential in many branches of mathematics and science. It also allows us to make precise calculations and draw accurate conclusions.

What is the significance of Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" textbook?

Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" is a highly influential textbook in the field of real analysis. It is known for its rigorous and concise approach to mathematical concepts and has been widely used in undergraduate and graduate courses.

What are the key concepts involved in the proof?

The proof of Baby Rudin involves concepts from real analysis such as the completeness of the real numbers, the Archimedean property, and the least upper bound property. It also uses mathematical induction, the definition of a limit, and properties of sequences and series.

Who is the intended audience for the "Proof of Baby Rudin"?

The "Proof of Baby Rudin" is primarily intended for students and researchers in the field of real analysis who are familiar with the basic concepts and definitions in the subject. However, anyone with a strong background in mathematics can also understand and appreciate the proof.