Proofs of Coleman-Mandula & Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems

• Thread starter nughret
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the Coleman-Mandula and Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems are important results in theoretical physics that pertain to the symmetries of quantum field theories. They state that the only possible symmetries of a quantum field theory are Poincaré symmetries and internal symmetries, and that these symmetries must be combined in a specific way. These theorems were developed by influential physicists such as Sidney Coleman, Jeffrey Mandula, Rudolf Haag, Jan Lopuszanski, and Peter Sohnius. They have been widely applied in areas such as supersymmetry, quantum gravity, and string theory, and have implications for the structure of spacetime
nughret
Does anyone know of any sources which provide a proof, or outline of, the Coleman-Mandula theorem and the Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have my copies here to check, but I thiiiiiiiiink Weinberg, The Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 3 and Wess and Bagger, Supersymmetry and Supergravity both discuss it. I'll give you a more concrete answer when I'm on campus.

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v159/i5/p1251_1

Torquil

Related to Proofs of Coleman-Mandula & Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems

1. What are the Coleman-Mandula and Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems?

The Coleman-Mandula and Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems are two important results in theoretical physics that pertain to the symmetries of quantum field theories. They state that the only possible symmetries of a quantum field theory are Poincaré symmetries and internal symmetries, and that these symmetries must be combined in a specific way.

2. Why are these theorems important?

These theorems are important because they provide a framework for understanding the symmetries of quantum field theories, which play a crucial role in modern physics. They also have implications for the structure of spacetime and the nature of particles and their interactions.

3. Who were Coleman, Mandula, Haag, Lopuszanski, and Sohnius?

These scientists were all influential figures in theoretical physics who made significant contributions to the development of the Coleman-Mandula and Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems. Sidney Coleman and Jeffrey Mandula were American physicists, while Rudolf Haag and Jan Lopuszanski were German and Polish physicists, respectively. Peter Sohnius is a British physicist.

4. What are some applications of these theorems?

The Coleman-Mandula and Haag-Lopuszanski-Sohnius Theorems have been used in various areas of theoretical physics, including the study of supersymmetry, quantum gravity, and string theory. They have also been applied in the development of mathematical frameworks for understanding the fundamental interactions of particles.

5. Are there any exceptions to these theorems?

There have been attempts to find exceptions to these theorems, but so far, they have held up in all known cases. However, some extensions have been proposed, such as the Haag-Łopuszański-Sohnius (HLS) theorem, which relaxes some of the assumptions of the original theorems and allows for more general symmetries.