Prove Continuous Function of t: R^2 to R

• MHB
  • Thread starter ryo0071
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the conversation discusses the continuity of the function f:R^2 \rightarrow R given by f(x) = \frac{x_1^2x_2}{x_1^4+x_2^2} for x \not= 0. The question is asking to prove that for each x \in R, f(tx) is a continuous function of t \in R. The conversation also mentions using the epsilon-delta definition of the limit to find a delta that will work for an arbitrary epsilon, but it is suggested that this may not be possible due to the function being a counterexample of continuity at the origin.
ryo0071
Okay so the question is:

Let \(\displaystyle f:R^2 \rightarrow R\) by
\(\displaystyle f(x) = \frac{x_1^2x_2}{x_1^4+x_2^2}\) for \(\displaystyle x \not= 0\)

Prove that for each \(\displaystyle x \in R\), \(\displaystyle f(tx)\) is a continuous function of \(\displaystyle t \in R\)

(\(\displaystyle R\) is the real numbers, I'm not sure how to get it to look right).

I am letting \(\displaystyle t_0 \in R\) and \(\displaystyle \epsilon > 0\) then trying to find a \(\displaystyle \delta > 0\) so \(\displaystyle |f(t) - f(t_0)| < \epsilon\) whenever \(\displaystyle |t - t_0| < \delta\) I am stuck trying to find the delta what will work, in trying to find it I am unable to simplify out \(\displaystyle |t - t_0|\) to use. Am I missing something really obvious here? Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you mean that for each $x \in \mathbb{R}^2, x \neq 0 \in \mathbb{R}^2$ and $t \in \mathbb{R}$ the function $f(tx)$ is continuous? Because we have

$$f(tx) = f(tx_1, tx_2) = \frac{(tx_1)^2 (tx_2)}{(tx_1)^4 + (tx_2)^2} = \frac{t^3 x_1^2 x_2}{t^4 x_1^4 + t^2 x_2^2} = \frac{t^3 x_1^2 x_2}{t^2 (t^2 x_1^4 + x_2^2)} = \frac{tx_1^2 x_2}{t^2 x_1^4 + x_2^2}.$$

This function tends to zero as $t \to 0$ and is continuous everywhere else by noting that it is the result of operations with continuous functions (power, quotient, products and compositions).

EDIT: I think this needs a bit more explanation. If $x = (x_1, x_2) \neq 0$ then this means that $x_1 \neq 0$ or $x_2 \neq 0$ (this is a logical 'or', both can be nonzero). If $x_1 =0$ and $x_2 \neq 0$ then we obviously have $f(tx) = 0$ because the expression in the numerador is automatically zero while the denominator is nonzero. The same if the variables switch roles (the first becomes nonzero and the second becomes zero). Therefore the only case left to be discussed is when both are nonzero. Then you have what I just said. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. I probably should have mentioned I have taken care of the cases where \(\displaystyle x_1 = 0\) and \(\displaystyle x_2 \not= 0\) as well as \(\displaystyle x_1 \not= 0\) and \(\displaystyle x_2 = 0\). Also, I am aware that it would be continuous since it is the result of operations of continuous function but I am trying to prove it using the epsilon-delta definition of the limit (by actually finding a delta that will work for an arbitrary epsilon, which is where I am getting stuck).

I don't think you will manage to do it with the epsilon-delta definition. This function is the usual counterexample that you can have a function continuous at the origin for every line through it but it is actually discontinuous there: just consider the case where $x_2 = x_1^2$. In fact, you probably forgot to mention the definition at $x = 0$, else it is automatically continuous at where it is defined. If you manage to show this by epsilon-delta proof it would mean that it is continuous at the origin, which is not.

To prove that f(tx) is a continuous function of t, we need to show that for any given x \in R, and for any \epsilon > 0, there exists a \delta > 0 such that for all t \in R, if |t - t_0| < \delta, then |f(tx) - f(t_0x)| < \epsilon.

To find the appropriate \delta, we can start by simplifying the expression |f(tx) - f(t_0x)|. Using the definition of f(x), we have:

|f(tx) - f(t_0x)| = \left|\frac{(tx_1)^2(tx_2)}{(tx_1)^4+(tx_2)^2} - \frac{(t_0x_1)^2(t_0x_2)}{(t_0x_1)^4+(t_0x_2)^2}\right|

= \left|\frac{t^2x_1^2x_2}{t^4x_1^4+t^2x_2^2} - \frac{t_0^2x_1^2x_2}{t_0^4x_1^4+t_0^2x_2^2}\right|

= \left|\frac{t^2x_1^2x_2}{t^4x_1^4+t^2x_2^2} - \frac{t_0^2x_1^2x_2}{t_0^4x_1^4+t_0^2x_2^2}\cdot\frac{t^4+t_0^4}{t^4+t_0^4}\right|

= \left|\frac{t^2x_1^2x_2}{(t^4+t_0^4)x_1^4+(t^2+t_0^2)x_2^2} - \frac{t_0^2x_1^2x_2}{(t^4+t_0^4)x_1^4+(t^2+t_0^2)x_2^2}\right|

= \left|\frac{(t^2-t_0^2)x_1^2x_2}{(t^4+t_0^4)x

Related to Prove Continuous Function of t: R^2 to R

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

A continuous function is one where small changes in the input result in small changes in the output. In other words, as the input values get closer together, the output values also get closer together.

2. How do you prove that a function is continuous?

To prove that a function is continuous, you must show that it satisfies the three conditions of continuity: (1) the function exists at the given point, (2) the limit of the function as the input approaches the given point exists, and (3) the output of the function at the given point is equal to the limit of the function.

3. What is the notation for a continuous function?

The notation for a continuous function is "f(x) = L" or "lim f(x) = L" where L is the limit of the function as x approaches a given point. In this case, the function is continuous at that point.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point but not at others?

Yes, a function can be continuous at one point but not at others. This is because continuity is determined at each individual point, and a function can satisfy the conditions of continuity at some points but not at others.

5. Why is it important to prove that a function is continuous?

Proving that a function is continuous allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations using the function. It also allows us to understand the behavior of the function and how it relates to other functions. In addition, continuity is an important concept in many fields of mathematics, including calculus and analysis.