Prove or disprove the following statement using sets frontier points

In summary, if A is a subset of B and the frontier of B is a subset of A, then A=B. This is true because if A is the frontier of B, it means that B is a closed set and A includes every non-interior point of B. However, this is not always the case and can be disproven by a counterexample such as A={0, 1} and B=[0, 1]. The term "frontier" is often used interchangeably with "boundary" and refers to the set of points that are both in a set and in its complement.
ppy
if A is a subset of B and the frontier of B is a subset of A then A=B.

I am pretty sure that this is true as I drew I diagram and I think this helped.

A frontier point has a sequence in the set and a sequence in the compliment that both converge to the same limit. However I'm not really sure how to use this definition to help me

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What if A is the frontier of B?

So you have [itex]\partial B \subseteq A\subseteq B[/itex]. In particular, [itex]\partial B \subseteq B[/itex] exactly says that [itex]B[/itex] is closed. So [itex]B[/itex] is a closed set, and [itex]A[/itex] is a subset of [itex]B[/itex] which includes every non-interior point of [itex]B[/itex].

The case R136a1 mentioned is, in some sense, the most extreme possible case of [itex]A\neq B[/itex] (a counterexample to your conjecture, as long as [itex]B[/itex] has nonempty interior).

As a side question, what the heck is a "frontier" of a set? This looks equivalent to the definition of boundary. Is this just another word for boundary? If so, why?

That is, why have a new word?

As both R136a1 and economicsnerd said, you can't prove it. Without some qualification, it is not true:
Counterexample: Let A= {0, 1}, B= [0, 1].
(I am assuming that "frontier" is the same as "boundary".)

Related to Prove or disprove the following statement using sets frontier points

1. What is a "frontier point" in the context of sets?

A frontier point, also known as a boundary point, is a point that is included in the boundary of a set. It is neither an interior point nor an exterior point of the set.

2. How can a statement be proven or disproven using sets and frontier points?

A statement can be proven or disproven using sets and frontier points by examining whether the points in the set satisfy the given statement. If all the points in the set satisfy the statement, then the statement is proven. If at least one point does not satisfy the statement, then the statement is disproven.

3. Can a statement be proven or disproven using only one frontier point?

Yes, a statement can be proven or disproven using only one frontier point. This is because a statement only needs to be either satisfied or not satisfied by a single point in order for it to be proven or disproven. However, using multiple frontier points may provide a stronger argument for the proof or disproof of a statement.

4. How is the concept of frontier points related to topology?

The concept of frontier points is related to topology in that it is used to define the boundary of a set in a topological space. In topology, the boundary of a set is defined as the set of all frontier points of the set.

5. Are there any limitations to using sets and frontier points to prove or disprove a statement?

Yes, there are limitations to using sets and frontier points to prove or disprove a statement. This approach may not be applicable to all statements, as some statements may require other methods of proof or disproof. Additionally, the accuracy of the proof or disproof may depend on the choice of the set and the frontier points used.