Prove the limit of the nth root of n

• MHB
  • Thread starter Carla1985
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Root
In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to a mathematical proof involving series expansion and limits. The participants discuss the steps involved and provide examples and resources for solving the problem. They also mention using an epsilon-delta argument and rewriting the problem to make it easier to solve.
Physics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
I don't understand what I have to do with this question. do i just explain what is happening in each part or is there more to it?

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/826/screenshot20130214at150.png
Thanks

The point (i) is justified by the series expansion... $\displaystyle (1+x)^{n}= \sum_{k=0}^{n} \binom {n}{k}\ x^{k}$ (1) ... where all terms are positive and $\displaystyle \binom{n}{2}\ x^{2}$ is the only second term. The other steps are quite simple... Kind regards$\chi$ $\sigma$

It appears that you are being asked to demonstrate that each step is correct.

For example, for (i) you could write:

$\displaystyle (1+x)^n=\sum_{k=0}^n{n \choose k}x^k={n \choose 2}x^2+\left(1+nx+\sum_{k=3}^n{n \choose k}x^k \right)$

For $k\ge0$ it must be true that:

$\displaystyle 1+nx+\sum_{k=3}^n{n \choose k}x^k\ge0$

and so by adding $\displaystyle {n \choose 2}x^2$ to both sides, we obtain:

$\displaystyle (1+x)^n\ge{n \choose 2}x^2=\frac{n(n-1)}{2}x^2$

For (ii) you could begin with:

$\displaystyle \frac{n}{2}\ge1$ for $n\ge2$

Now add $\displaystyle \frac{n}{2}$ to both sides:

$\displaystyle n\ge1+\frac{n}{2}$

Subtract through by 1:

$\displaystyle n-1\ge\frac{n}{2}$

Now, multiply through by $\displaystyle \frac{n}{2}$

$\displaystyle \frac{n(n-1)}{2}\ge\frac{n^2}{4}$

From (i) we have:

$\displaystyle (1+x)^n\ge\frac{n(n-1)}{2}x^2$

And so on the right, replacing $\displaystyle \frac{n(n-1)}{2}$ with $\displaystyle \frac{n^2}{4}$ we obtain:

$\displaystyle (1+x)^n\ge\frac{n^4}{4}x^2$

Multiplying through by $\displaystyle \frac{4}{n^2}$ there results:

$\displaystyle \frac{4}{n^2}(1+x)^n\ge x^2$

$\displaystyle x^2\le\frac{4}{n^2}(1+x)^n$ where $n\ge2,\,x\ge0$

Now for (iii), it is just a matter of applying the result of Problem 1(ii) (which you haven't provided).

Ah, I see, thankyou. Q1 ii is to prove that limit 1/sqrt(n)=0

I'm assuming that we do that using the definition of convergence and work out an N(E), E being epsilon, would that be right?

I think I would rewrite the problem first before using an epsilon-delta argument:

$\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}=0$

$\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\sqrt{\frac{1}{n}}=0$

$\displaystyle \sqrt{\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}}=0$

$\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}=0$

:eek: I didnt know I could do that, that may help in future sums :) I was just making sure I was doing it in the right way, we get given so many definitions and corollaries etc :)

Carla1985 said:
I don't understand what I have to do with this question. do i just explain what is happening in each part or is there more to it?

http://imageshack.us/scaled/medium/826/screenshot20130214at150.png
Thanks

Hi Carla1985, :)

Thought you might be interested in seeing http://planetmath.org/LimitOfNthRootOfN.html.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Prove the limit of the nth root of n

1. What does it mean to "prove the limit" of the nth root of n?

Proving the limit of the nth root of n means to mathematically demonstrate that as n approaches infinity, the value of the nth root of n approaches a specific number or value. This number is known as the limit and is often denoted as lim n→∞ ⁿ√n.

2. How is the limit of the nth root of n calculated?

The limit of the nth root of n can be calculated using a variety of methods, depending on the complexity of the function. In general, it involves taking the limit of the nth root of n as n approaches infinity, using algebraic techniques and special mathematical rules such as L'Hopital's rule.

3. Why is proving the limit of the nth root of n important?

Proving the limit of the nth root of n is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function as n becomes infinitely large. This is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in analyzing the growth of populations or the decay of radioactive materials.

4. Are there any common mistakes when proving the limit of the nth root of n?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can occur when proving the limit of the nth root of n. These include errors in algebraic manipulation, incorrect application of mathematical rules, and not considering all possible cases or scenarios. It is important to carefully check each step of the proof to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can the limit of the nth root of n be proven for all values of n?

No, the limit of the nth root of n may not be provable for all values of n. In some cases, the limit may not exist or may be undefined. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior before attempting to prove the limit. In some cases, the limit can only be approximated or estimated, rather than proven exactly.