Is the Set of Differentiable Points of a Function a Borel Set?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fermat1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Yes, that's right. What I gave is too simplified. Rather, $X$ can be equated with the set $\cap_{m \ge 1} \cup_{n \ge 1} X(m,n)$, where X(m,n) = \cap_{0 < |h| < \frac1{n}} \cap_{0 < |k| < \frac1{n}} \{x\in \Bbb R: |\Delta_hf(x) - \Delta_kf(x)| \le \frac1{m}\} and $\Delta_uf(x)$ denotes the difference quotient $(f(x + u)
Fermat1
Let $f:R->R$ be a continuous function. Prove that set of points $f$ is differentiable at is a borel set.

I need to get to this set by union/intersection of intervals but how? I guess I'm missing a theorem about differentiable points and cotinuity

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Fermat said:
Let $f:R->R$ be a continuous function. Prove that set of points $f$ is differentiable at is a borel set.

I need to get to this set by union/intersection of intervals but how? I guess I'm missing a theorem about differentiable points and cotinuity

Thanks

Let $X$ denote the set of points $x$ in $\Bbb R$ such that $f$ is differentiable at $x$. Then $x \in X$ if and only if the limit $\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(x)$ exists, where

\(\displaystyle f_n(x) = n(f(x + 1/n) - f(x)).\)

Since $f$ is continuous, $f_n$ is a sequence of continuous (hence measurable) functions. So the set

\(\displaystyle X = \{x \in \Bbb R: \lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(x)\; \text{exists}\}\)

is Borel.

Euge said:
Let $X$ denote the set of points $x$ in $\Bbb R$ such that $f$ is differentiable at $x$. Then $x \in X$ if and only if the limit $\lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(x)$ exists, where

\(\displaystyle f_n(x) = n(f(x + 1/n) - f(x)).\)

Since $f$ is continuous, $f_n$ is a sequence of continuous (hence measurable) functions. So the set

\(\displaystyle X = \{x \in \Bbb R: \lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(x)\; \text{exists}\}\)

is Borel.
That argument ought to work. But I am uneasy about it.

Example: Let $f(x) = x\sin\bigl(\frac{\pi}x \bigr)$, with $f(0) = 0.$ Then $f$ is continuous, but not differentiable at $0$. Yet $n(f(0 + 1/n) - f(0)) = n(\sin(n\pi) - \sin0) = 0.$ So \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(0)\) exists, despite $f$ not being differentiable at $0$.

Opalg said:
That argument ought to work. But I am uneasy about it.

Example: Let $f(x) = x\sin\bigl(\frac{\pi}x \bigr)$, with $f(0) = 0.$ Then $f$ is continuous, but not differentiable at $0$. Yet $n(f(0 + 1/n) - f(0)) = n(\sin(n\pi) - \sin0) = 0.$ So \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(0)\) exists, despite $f$ not being differentiable at $0$.

Yes, that's right. What I gave is too simplified. Rather, $X$ can be equated with the set $\cap_{m \ge 1} \cup_{n \ge 1} X(m,n)$, where

\(\displaystyle X(m,n) = \cap_{0 < |h| < \frac1{n}} \cap_{0 < |k| < \frac1{n}} \{x\in \Bbb R: |\Delta_hf(x) - \Delta_kf(x)| \le \frac1{m}\} \)

and $\Delta_uf(x)$ denotes the difference quotient $(f(x + u) - f(x))/u$. Since $f$ is continuous, $\Delta_uf$ is continuous for every $u$, so the sets

\(\displaystyle \{x\in \Bbb R: |\Delta_hf(x) - \Delta_kf(x)| \le \frac1{m}\}\)

are all closed. Then the sets $X(m,n)$ are all closed. Consequently, for every $m$, the union $\cup_{n \ge 1} X(m,n)$ is Borel. Therefore, $X$ is the countable intersection of Borel sets, which shows that $X$ is Borel.

for your question. To prove that the set of points where $f$ is differentiable is a Borel set, we can use the fact that continuous functions are Borel measurable. This means that the preimage of any Borel set under $f$ is also a Borel set.

Let $A$ be the set of points where $f$ is differentiable. We can write $A$ as the union of two sets: $A_1$, the set of points where $f$ is differentiable from the left, and $A_2$, the set of points where $f$ is differentiable from the right.

To show that $A_1$ is a Borel set, we can use the fact that the set of points where a function is differentiable from the left is the same as the set of points where the left-hand derivative exists. Since $f$ is continuous, the left-hand derivative exists at every point and is equal to the limit of the function from the left. This means that $A_1$ can be written as the preimage of the set of real numbers, which is a Borel set.

Similarly, $A_2$ can be written as the preimage of the set of real numbers, which is also a Borel set.

Since $A$ is the union of two Borel sets, it is also a Borel set. Therefore, the set of points where $f$ is differentiable is a Borel set.

Related to Is the Set of Differentiable Points of a Function a Borel Set?

What is a Borel set?

A Borel set is a subset of a topological space that can be formed by taking countable unions, countable intersections, and complements of open sets.

Why is it important to prove that a set is a Borel set?

Proving that a set is a Borel set allows us to classify it as a measurable set, which is an essential concept in measure theory. It also helps us understand the structure and properties of the set in relation to the topological space it belongs to.

What methods can be used to prove that a set is a Borel set?

There are several methods that can be used to prove that a set is a Borel set, including the use of basic set operations, the Borel hierarchy, and the Caratheodory's criterion. These methods involve breaking down the set into simpler components and showing that they can be formed using countable unions, intersections, and complements of open sets.

Can a set be both a Borel set and a non-Borel set at the same time?

No, a set cannot be both a Borel set and a non-Borel set at the same time. This is because the definition of a Borel set is based on the countable operations of open sets, so if a set satisfies this definition, it cannot be a non-Borel set.

What are some real-world applications of proving a set is a Borel set?

Proving that a set is a Borel set has many practical applications, such as in probability and statistics, where Borel sets are used to define measurable events. It is also used in mathematical analysis to study the convergence of sequences and series. Borel sets also have applications in economics, physics, and computer science.