Proving an Infinite $\sigma-$Algebra is Uncountable

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary: Suppose that $A$ is an infinite $\sigma$-algebra (consisting of subsets of some set $X$).Case 1. $A$ contains an infinite descending chain of nonempty subsets of $X$. In that case, let $T_n = S_n \setminus S_{n+1}$ (set-theoretic difference), for $n=1,2,3,\ldots$. Then the sets $T_n$ are nonempty and pairwise disjoint. For each subset $J$ (finite or infinite) of the natural numbers, let T_J = \bigcup_{n\in J}T_n. There are
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Show that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable.

Could you give me some hints what I could do??

Do I have to start by supposing that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is countable??

But how could I get a contradiction?? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Show that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable.

Could you give me some hints what I could do??

Do I have to start by supposing that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is countable??

But how could I get a contradiction?? (Wondering)
Here is an outline strategy for a proof. Suppose that $A$ is an infinite $\sigma$-algebra (consisting of subsets of some set $X$).

Case 1. $A$ contains an infinite descending chain of nonempty subsets of $X$. (In other words, there exists an infinite sequence $S_1 \supset S_2 \supset S_3 \supset \ldots$ of nonempty elements of $A$, each one strictly containing the following one.) In that case, let $T_n = S_n \setminus S_{n+1}$ (set-theoretic difference), for $n=1,2,3,\ldots$. Then the sets $T_n$ are nonempty and pairwise disjoint. For each subset $J$ (finite or infinite) of the natural numbers, let \(\displaystyle T_J = \bigcup_{n\in J}T_n.\) There are uncountably many such sets (because there are uncountably many subsets of the natural numbers), they are all different, and they all belong to $A$. Therefore $A$ is uncountable.

Case 2. There are no infinite descending chains in $A$. In that case, every descending chain $S_1 \supset S_2 \supset S_3 \supset \ldots\supset S_n$ of nonempty elements of $A$ must terminate in a minimal nonempty element $S_n$ of $A$. There must be infinitely many such atoms in $A$ (otherwise $A$ would be finite), and these atoms must be pairwise disjoint. As in Case 1, you can construct uncountably many elements of $A$ by taking unions of the atoms.

Opalg said:
Case 2. There are no infinite descending chains in $A$. In that case, every descending chain $S_1 \supset S_2 \supset S_3 \supset \ldots\supset S_n$ of nonempty elements of $A$ must terminate in a minimal nonempty element $S_n$ of $A$. There must be infinitely many such atoms in $A$ (otherwise $A$ would be finite), and these atoms must be pairwise disjoint. As in Case 1, you can construct uncountably many elements of $A$ by taking unions of the atoms.

Could you explain me further the second case?? (Wondering)

What does "There must be infinitely many such atoms in $A$ " mean ?? (Wondering)

Hi,
Opalg has given you an excellent outline for a proof. If you still have questions, here is my fleshing out of her proof:

ilzrbk.png

Last edited:

To prove that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable, we can use a proof by contradiction.

First, assume that the infinite $\sigma-$algebra, denoted by $\mathcal{F}$, is countable. This means that there exists a bijection between the elements of $\mathcal{F}$ and the set of natural numbers, $\mathbb{N}$.

Since $\mathcal{F}$ is a $\sigma-$algebra, it must contain the set of all countable unions of its elements. This means that for any countable collection of sets in $\mathcal{F}$, their union must also be in $\mathcal{F}$.

Now, consider the collection of all singleton sets in $\mathcal{F}$, denoted by $\{A_n\}_{n=1}^{\infty}$, where $A_n$ is the $n$th element in $\mathcal{F}$. Since $\mathcal{F}$ is assumed to be countable, this collection must also be countable.

However, by definition, the union of all singleton sets is the set of all natural numbers, $\mathbb{N}$, which is not a countable union of sets in $\mathcal{F}$. This contradicts the fact that $\mathcal{F}$ is a $\sigma-$algebra.

Therefore, our initial assumption that $\mathcal{F}$ is countable must be false, and thus, an infinite $\sigma-$algebra must be uncountable.

Related to Proving an Infinite $\sigma-$Algebra is Uncountable

What is an infinite $\sigma-$algebra?

An infinite $\sigma-$algebra is a collection of sets that satisfies three properties: it includes the empty set, it is closed under countable unions, and it is closed under complements. It is typically denoted as $\mathcal{F}$ and is used in measure theory to define the notion of a measurable set.

Why is it important to prove that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable?

Proving that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable is important because it shows the richness and complexity of the collection of sets. It also has practical applications in measure theory, where countable sets are often not sufficient to accurately measure certain mathematical objects.

How can one prove that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable?

There are a few different approaches to proving that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable. One method is to use the fact that an uncountable set must contain a subset that is also uncountable. Another method is to use Cantor's diagonalization argument, which shows that any countable set can be mapped to a larger uncountable set.

What implications does proving an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable have?

Proving that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable has implications in various areas of mathematics, including measure theory, topology, and functional analysis. It also has implications for the study of infinite sets and the concept of infinity in general.

What are some common misconceptions about proving an infinite $\sigma-$algebra is uncountable?

One common misconception is that an infinite $\sigma-$algebra must be uncountable. However, there are uncountable $\sigma-$algebras that contain countable subsets. Another misconception is that all uncountable sets are infinite $\sigma-$algebras, which is not necessarily true as the properties of a $\sigma-$algebra must also be satisfied.