Proving Compactness of a Topological Group Using Subgroups and Quotient Spaces

In summary, the proof shows that if F is a finite union of compact sets in S, then g(F) is not an element of Hx because g(F^\prime) is not contained in Hx.
Lie
Hello!

Could anyone help me to resolve the impasse below?

Th: Let G be a topological group and H subgroup of G. If H and G/H (quotient space of G by H) are compact, then G itself is compact.

Proof: Since H is compact, the the natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping. Therefore if a family S of closed subsets of G has the finite intersection property, then so does {g(F): F in S}. So that G/H is compact, then [tex]\bigcap_{F \in S} g(F) \neq \varnothing .[/tex] But as I conclude that [tex]\bigcap_{F \in S} F \neq \varnothing \; ?[/tex]
If necessary we also know that G/H is Haudorff space.

Thankful! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
what if the quotient splits the group? I.e. what if G is siomorphic to H x G/H?

Then in general, just off the top of my head, maybe this is true locally, i.e. maybe the map G-->G/H is a locally trivial fibration

mathwonk said:
what if the quotient splits the group? I.e. what if G is siomorphic to H x G/H?

No!

mathwonk said:
Then in general, just off the top of my head, maybe this is true locally, i.e. maybe the map G-->G/H is a locally trivial fibration

I don't understand!

assume it splits. then could you do it?

mathwonk said:
assume it splits. then could you do it?

Can I do that G/H is not a group? Remember that H is only one subgroup. It is not normal!

Hello Lie! :smile:

Lie said:
Since H is compact, the the natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping.

I wonder how you know this, don't you need some kind of of Hausdorff property for this?

EDIT: never mind about this, you don't need Hausdorff.

Anyway, the following could help you:

Definition: We call f a proper map if it is continuous, closed, surjective and if every [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is compact (=we say that the fibers are compact).

Theorem: If [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is proper and if Y is compact, then X is compact.

Proof: Note that closedness of f is equivalent with:

For all open U containing [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex], there exists an open neighbourhood W of y, such that [itex]f^{-1}(W)\subseteq U[/itex].

This equivalence is easy to see by taking [itex]W=Y\setminus f(X\setminus U)[/itex].

So, now take an open cover of X. For each y in Y, we know that [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is non-empty and compact and thus covered by a finite number of our covers. Let [itex]U_{y,1},...,U_{y_n}[/itex] be the elements of our cover. Then by the above, there exist [itex]W_{y,i}[/itex] such that

[tex]f^{-1}(W_{y,i})\subseteq U_{y,i}[/tex]

This forms an open cover of Y and thus we can take an finite subcover. This finite subcover is the one we're looking for...

micromass said:
Hello Lie! :smile:

I wonder how you know this, don't you need some kind of of Hausdorff property for this?

EDIT: never mind about this, you don't need Hausdorff.

OK! I don't really need Hausdorff.

micromass said:
Anyway, the following could help you:

Definition: We call f a proper map if it is continuous, closed, surjective and if every [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is compact (=we say that the fibers are compact).

The natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping, continuous, surjective and every [itex]g^{-1}(xH)[/itex] is closed. Why it's proper?

micromass said:
Theorem: If [itex]f\colon X \to Y[/itex] is proper and if Y is compact, then X is compact.

This result is interesting, but I would try to use my argument above.

Thankful! :)

Last edited:
Lie;3337089The natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping said:
g^{-1}(xH)[/itex] is closed.

We have [itex]g^{-1}([x])=xH[/itex]. Now H is compact, and thus every translation xH of H is compact as well.

This result is interesting, but I would try to use my argument above.

Very well, but I doubt it's going to work.:frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
We have [itex]g^{-1}([x])=xH[/itex]. Now H is compact, and thus every translation xH of H is compact as well.
Indeed! :)

micromass said:
Very well, but I doubt it's going to work.:frown:

Tip of Hewitt & Ross! ;)

Lie said:
Tip of Hewitt & Ross! ;)

What about this: Take [itex](F)_{F\in S}[/itex] with the fip. I now form all finite unions of this collection and I get a collection [itex](F^\prime)_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}[/itex]. Clearly this has the fip and the intersection of this collection is nonempty if and only if the original collection is nonempty.

By compactness we know that

[tex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{g(F^\prime)}[/tex]

is nonempty, thus take an [x] in it. By compactness of xH it follows that of [itex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{F^\prime}=\emptyset[/itex], then there exist a finite number whose intersection is empty. But because we have chosen the [itex]F^\prime[/itex] to be closed under unions, it follows that [itex]Hx\cap F^\prime=\emptyset[/itex] for some [itex]F^\prime[/itex], but then g(Hx)=[x] is not an element of

contradiction...

Hope I didn't make any silly mistakes here...

micromass said:
What about this: Take [itex](F)_{F\in S}[/itex] with the fip. I now form all finite unions of this collection and I get a collection [itex](F^\prime)_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}[/itex]. Clearly this has the fip and the intersection of this collection is nonempty if and only if the original collection is nonempty.

By compactness we know that

is nonempty, thus take an [x] in it. By compactness of xH it follows that of [itex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{F^\prime}=\emptyset[/itex], then there exist a finite number whose intersection is empty. But because we have chosen the [itex]F^\prime[/itex] to be closed under unions, it follows that [itex]Hx\cap F^\prime=\emptyset[/itex] for some [itex]F^\prime[/itex], but then g(Hx)=[x] is not an element of

contradiction...

Hope I didn't make any silly mistakes here...

Excuse me! I was very busy lately and I could not move from here. Not found any error! Thank very much. :)

Related to Proving Compactness of a Topological Group Using Subgroups and Quotient Spaces

1. What is a topological group compact?

A topological group compact is a mathematical structure that combines the properties of a topological space and a group. It is a set equipped with a topology and a binary operation that satisfies certain axioms, such as closure and associativity. A topological group compact is compact, meaning that every open cover has a finite subcover, and it is also Hausdorff, meaning that every two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods.

2. How is a topological group compact different from a topological group?

A topological group compact is a specific type of topological group that is also compact. Compactness is an additional property that a topological group may or may not have. A topological group compact is also necessarily Hausdorff, whereas a topological group may or may not be Hausdorff.

3. What are some examples of topological group compacts?

The most well-known example of a topological group compact is the circle group, which consists of all complex numbers with absolute value 1 under multiplication. Other examples include the torus, the group of rotations in 3-dimensional space, and the group of invertible matrices with real entries.

4. What is the significance of topological group compacts in mathematics?

Topological group compacts play an important role in many areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, topology, and algebraic geometry. They are used to study symmetries and transformations in various mathematical structures, and they provide a framework for understanding and generalizing concepts such as convergence and continuity.

5. Are there any applications of topological group compacts in real-world problems?

Yes, there are many applications of topological group compacts in real-world problems. For example, in physics, topological group compacts are used to study symmetries and conservation laws in systems such as crystals and magnetic materials. They are also used in economics and finance to model the behavior of financial markets and study the stability of economic systems.