Proving Divergence of $\cos(n)$ w/ Definition of Limits

In summary, we cannot prove that $\lim \, \cos(n)$ diverges using the definition of limits of sequences. However, we can show that it cannot converge by using a proof by contradiction and showing that the sequence $\cos(n)$ is dense in [-1,1]. This is done by using the lemma that states that if $\theta$ is irrational, then the set of values $\{n \theta \pmod{1}: n \in \mathbb{Z}\}$ is dense in [0,1]. Using this, we can show that $\cos(n)$ cannot converge and therefore it diverges.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Can we prove using the definition of limits of sequences that \(\displaystyle \lim \, \cos(n) \) diverges ?

I mean can we use a contradiction or show that two sub-sequences have a different limit ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Can we prove using the definition of limits of sequences that \(\displaystyle \lim \, \cos(n) \) diverges ?

I mean can we use a contradiction or show that two sub-sequences have a different limit ?

A sequence $a_{n}$ that admits limit l, i.e. for an $\varepsilon > 0$ there exists an integer N so that for any n> N is $|a_{ n}-l| < \varepsilon$, converges. If l doesn't exist the sequence $a_{n}$ diverges... very simple concept?... yes, but... there are some little controversial about it...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

We will show that $\cos(n), n = 0, 1, 2, \dots$ is dense in [-1,1], so the sequence $\cos(n)$ cannot converge.

Lemma: If $\theta$ is irrational, then the set $\{n \theta \pmod{1}: n \in \mathbb{Z}\}$ is dense in [0,1].
Proof: Let $\epsilon > 0$, and choose $k$ so that $0 < 1/k < \epsilon$. Consider the $k+1$ distinct values $\{i \theta \pmod{1}: i = 0, 1, \dots ,k\}$ and the $k$ intervals $[0, 1/k), [1/k, 2/k), \dots [(k-1)/k, 1)$. Since there are $k+1$ values, each of which is in one of the $k$ intervals, by the pigeonhole principle one of the intervals must contain at least two of the values, say $i_1 \theta \pmod{1}$ and $i_2 \theta \pmod{1}$ with $i_2 < i_1$. Then $0 < (i_2 - i_1) \theta \pmod{1} < 1/k$, so the values $m (i_2 - i_1) \theta \pmod{1}, m = 0, 1, 2, \dots ,M$ for some $M$, split [0,1] into intervals of width less than $1/k$. Every point in [0,1] must lie in one of these intervals and must therefore be within $1/k$ of $m (i_2 - i_1) \theta \pmod{1}$ for some $m$. This proves the lemma.

Now let $x \in [0,1]$, and apply the lemma to the irrational number $1/(2 \pi)$. By the lemma, there is a sequence of integers $m_i$ and $n_i$, $i = 1, 2, 3, \dots$ such that
$$\frac{m_i}{2 \pi} + n_i \to x \text{ as } i \to \infty$$
Then
$$m_i + 2 \pi n_i \to 2 \pi x$$
so by continuity of $\cos(x)$,
$$\cos(m_i) = \cos(m_i + 2 \pi n_i) \to \cos(2 \pi x)$$
Since $x$ is arbitrary in [0,1], this shows $\cos(n)$ is dense in [-1,1].

[edit] I added a factor of $2 \pi$ in one of the equations above.[/edit]

Last edited:

Related to Proving Divergence of $\cos(n)$ w/ Definition of Limits

1. What is the definition of divergence in relation to limits?

The definition of divergence in relation to limits is when a sequence does not have a finite limit and instead approaches infinity or negative infinity.

2. How can the definition of limits be used to prove the divergence of $\cos(n)$?

The definition of limits states that for a limit to exist, the values of a sequence must get arbitrarily close to a single value as n approaches infinity. Since the values of $\cos(n)$ oscillate between -1 and 1, they can never get arbitrarily close to a single value, therefore proving divergence.

3. Can you provide an example of using the definition of limits to prove the divergence of $\cos(n)$?

For example, let's examine the sequence $\cos(n)$. As n approaches infinity, $\cos(n)$ oscillates between -1 and 1. This means that there is no single value that the sequence gets arbitrarily close to, thus satisfying the definition of divergence.

4. Are there any other methods to prove the divergence of $\cos(n)$ besides the definition of limits?

Yes, there are various other methods such as using the squeeze theorem or the divergence test. However, the definition of limits is the most straightforward and commonly used method for proving divergence.

5. Why is proving the divergence of $\cos(n)$ important in mathematics?

Proving the divergence of $\cos(n)$ is important because it helps us understand the behavior of this sequence as n approaches infinity. It also highlights the limitations of using the definition of limits and encourages the exploration of other methods for evaluating limits.