Proving lim sqrt(n) alpha^n is 0

• MHB
  • Thread starter OhMyMarkov
  • Start date
Also, in line (2), the inequality should be $\leq \frac{\sqrt{n}}{1+nx}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}+x\sqrt{n}}\leq\frac{1}{x\sqrt{n}}$. Other than those minor corrections, the proof appears to be correct.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone!

I want to prove that $\lim \sqrt(n) \alpha ^n \rightarrow 0$ whenever $0 <\alpha < 1$. I got the following proof:

(1) Write $\alpha$ as $\alpha = 1/x$ where $x > 1$.
(2) $\sqrt{n} \alpha ^n = \displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{n}}{(1+x)^n}\leq\frac{\sqrt{n}}{1+nx}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}+x\sqrt{n}}\leq\frac{1}{x\sqrt{n}}\rightarrow 0$ as $n\rightarrow \infty$.

Is the proof I provided correct?

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Proving $\lim \sqrt(n) \alpha ^n \rightarrow 0$

OhMyMarkov said:
Hello everyone!

I want to prove that $\lim \sqrt(n) \alpha ^n \rightarrow 0$ whenever $0 <\alpha < 1$. I got the following proof:

(1) Write $\alpha$ as $\alpha = 1/x$ where $x > 1$.
(2) $\sqrt{n} \alpha ^n = \displaystyle \frac{\sqrt{n}}{(1+x)^n}\leq\frac{\sqrt{n}}{1+nx}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}+x\sqrt{n}}\leq\frac{1}{x\sqrt{n}}\rightarrow 0$ as $n\rightarrow \infty$.

Is the proof I provided correct?

Thanks! :)
The idea seems correct, but in line (1) you should have written $\alpha = 1/(1+x)$ where $x > 0$.

Related to Proving lim sqrt(n) alpha^n is 0

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

The limit of a function at a particular point is the value that the function approaches as the input approaches that point.

2. What is the general approach for proving a limit?

The general approach for proving a limit is to use the definition of a limit, which involves showing that for any given small number, there exists a corresponding small interval around the point of interest such that all inputs within that interval produce outputs that are within the given small number of the limit.

3. How can we prove that the limit of sqrt(n) alpha^n is 0?

We can prove this by using the definition of a limit. We need to show that for any given small number ε, there exists a corresponding small interval around the point of interest (in this case, n=0) such that all inputs within that interval produce outputs that are within ε of the limit (which is 0). This can be done by manipulating the equation and choosing a suitable value for n.

4. What is the significance of the exponent α in the limit sqrt(n) alpha^n?

The exponent α plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of the function. It determines whether the function approaches a finite limit, approaches infinity, or oscillates between different values as n increases.

5. Can we apply the same approach to prove the limit of any function?

Yes, the same general approach can be applied to prove the limit of any function. However, the specific manipulations and values chosen may vary depending on the function and the point of interest.