Proving That f Є R(V) When f Є R(α)

• MHB
  • Thread starter ssh
  • Start date
In summary, if f is Riemann integrable on [a,b] then so is the function V(f). However, the proof for this is not clear.
ssh
Hi I am post graduate student looking for the answer of the question that appeared in one of the previous papers.

Please help me in solving this.

Thanx in advance

Let α be of bounded variation on [a,b]. let V(n) be the total variation of α on [a,x] and let V(a)=0 . if f Є R(α), prove that f Є R(V)?Let α be of bounded variation on [a,b]. let V(n) be the total variation of α on [a,x] and let V(a)=0 . if f Є R(α), prove that f Є R(V)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ssh, and welcome to Math Help Boards.

ssh said:
Let α be of bounded variation on [a,b]. let V(n) be the total variation of α on [a,x] and let V(a)=0 . if f Є R(α), prove that f Є R(V)?
There seems to be some unexplained notation here. First, I assume that V(n) should be V(x)? Second, what does the notation R(a) and R(V) mean?

Yes Vn(x) is Total Variation of x
F Є R(α) and f Є R(V) means f is reimann integrable on α and V respectively

Is my question unclear or unanswerable?

ssh said:
Is my question unclear or unanswerable?
The question is still totally unclear to me. You start by saying "Let α be of bounded variation on [a,b]", from which I understand that α must be a function (in fact, a function of bounded variation). But then you say "F Є R(α) ... means f is reimann integrable on α", which makes no sense at all. How can a function be Riemann integrable on a function?

You also say "f Є R(V) means f is reimann integrable on ... V". That can only make sense if V is a set. But no set V has been defined.

Here is my version of the question that I think you may be trying to ask:
Let f be a function of bounded variation on the interval [a,b]. For each x in [a,b], let V(f)(x) be the total variation of f on the interval [a,x]. Prove that if f is Riemann integrable on [a,b] then so is the function V(f).

If that is the correct version of the question, let us know and perhaps someone here will be able to help.

This is the question i saw in one of the question papers for which i couldn't find an answer.

Let α be of bounded variation on [a,b]. let V(n) be the total variation of α on [a,x] and let V(a)=0 . if f Є R(α), prove that f Є R(V)?

If f Є R(α ) then U(P,f,α) – L(P,f,α) < ε right which is the sufficient condition for f to be Reimann integrable on α. (Atleast my book says so, correct me if this is wrong). Now if we want to prove f Є R (V), we should be showing that U(P, f, V) – L(P,f, V) < Є1 (say), but how? Here V is the total variation of x on α in the interval [a,x] also given that V(a) = 0 how does this help. The Proof for this in my book is not clear.

My question remains unanswered wherever i tried?

Related to Proving That f Є R(V) When f Є R(α)

What does it mean for f to be an element of R(V)?

For f to be an element of R(V) means that f is a function that can be written as a linear combination of the elements in the vector space V. In other words, f can be expressed as a polynomial with coefficients from the field of real numbers.

How can you prove that f is an element of R(α)?

To prove that f is an element of R(α), you must show that f can be written as a linear combination of the powers of α. This can be done by expanding f in terms of α and its powers, and then rearranging the terms to show that it is a linear combination of the powers of α.

What is the significance of proving that f is an element of R(α)?

Proving that f is an element of R(α) allows us to determine the behavior of f in relation to α. This can help us understand the properties of the function and make predictions about its behavior.

Can f be an element of R(V) and R(α) at the same time?

Yes, it is possible for f to be an element of both R(V) and R(α). This means that f can be expressed as a linear combination of both the elements in the vector space V and the powers of α.

What are some common methods for proving that f is an element of R(α)?

Some common methods for proving that f is an element of R(α) include expanding f in terms of α and its powers, using mathematical induction, and utilizing the properties of linear combinations. It is also helpful to have a thorough understanding of the definitions of vector spaces and fields.