Would someone clarify this for me please? (from Rudin's analysis)

• Thread starter Arian.D
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary: Oh, I see...but then it is also clear: at every discontinuity point \,\,x_0\,\, of f, where g (this is your function a) is continuous, we have that \,\,\exists \delta>0\,\,s.t.\,\,|x-x_0|<\delta\Longrightarrow |g(x)-g(x_0)|<\epsilon and now you can choose your intervals within \,\,|x-x_0|<\delta_m\,\,,\,\delta_m:=\,\, the minimal such number among all that
Arian.D
Theorem: Suppose f is bounded on [a,b], f has only finitely many points of discontinuity on [a,b], and α is continuous at every point at which f is discontinuous. Then f is in R(α).

Proof: Let ε>0 be given. Put M=sup|f(x)|, let E be the set of points at which f is discontinuous. Since E is finite and α is continuous at every point of E, we can cover E by finitely many disjoint intervals [uj, vj] in [a,b] such that the sum of the corresponding differences α(vj)-α(uj) is less than ε.

Why this is true? I understand that we can cover E by those finitely many disjoint intervals, but I don't understand why we could cover E in such a way the sum of the corresponding differences α(vj)-α(uj) would be less than epsilon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Arian.D said:
Theorem: Suppose f is bounded on [a,b], f has only finitely many points of discontinuity on [a,b], and α is continuous at every point at which f is discontinuous. Then f is in R(α).

Proof: Let ε>0 be given. Put M=sup|f(x)|, let E be the set of points at which f is discontinuous. Since E is finite and α is continuous at every point of E, we can cover E by finitely many disjoint intervals [uj, vj] in [a,b] such that the sum of the corresponding differences α(vj)-α(uj) is less than ε.

Why this is true? I understand that we can cover E by those finitely many disjoint intervals, but I don't understand why we could cover E in such a way the sum of the corresponding differences α(vj)-α(uj) would be less than epsilon.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can always choose a finite number of intervals (or even an infinite countable number of them) s.t. that their

lenghts' sum is less than any predefined positive quantity...

For example, the sum of lengths of [itex]\,\,[a_n,b_n]\,\,,\,\,n=1,2,...k\,\,[/itex] is less that [itex]\,\,\epsilon>0\,\,[/itex] if [itex]\,\,b_n-a_n\leq\frac{\epsilon}{2^n}\,\,[/itex].

BTW, what is that "a" and what is R(a)??

DonAntonio

DonAntonio said:
You can always choose a finite number of intervals (or even an infinite countable number of them) s.t. that their

lenghts' sum is less than any predefined positive quantity...

For example, the sum of lengths of [itex]\,\,[a_n,b_n]\,\,,\,\,n=1,2,...k\,\,[/itex] is less that [itex]\,\,\epsilon>0\,\,[/itex] if [itex]\,\,b_n-a_n\leq\frac{\epsilon}{2^n}\,\,[/itex].

BTW, what is that "a" and what is R(a)??

DonAntonio

Yes, you can always choose a finite number of intervals that their lenghts' sum is less than any given positive quantity, but that's not the case here.
Here we are choosing a finite number of intervals, that when we apply α (an increasing function), the sum of the corresponding differences α(vj)-α(uj) is less than any given epsilon. So, it's not like the case you said I think.

R(α) is the set of all Riemann-stieljes integrable functions. All functions like ∫fdα that are integrable. (Rudin assumes α is an increasing function).

Arian.D said:
Yes, you can always choose a finite number of intervals that their lenghts' sum is less than any given positive quantity, but that's not the case here.
Here we are choosing a finite number of intervals, that when we apply α (an increasing function), the sum of the corresponding differences α(vj)-α(uj) is less than any given epsilon. So, it's not like the case you said I think.

R(α) is the set of all Riemann-stieljes integrable functions. All functions like ∫fdα that are integrable. (Rudin assumes α is an increasing function).

Oh, I see...but then it is also clear: at every discontinuity point [itex]\,\,x_0\,\,[/itex] of f, where g (this is your function a) is continuous, we have that [tex]\,\,\exists \delta>0\,\,s.t.\,\,|x-x_0|<\delta\Longrightarrow |g(x)-g(x_0)|<\epsilon[/tex] and now you can choose your intervals within [itex]\,\,|x-x_0|<\delta_m\,\,,\,\,\delta_m:=\,\,[/itex] the minimal such number among all that finite amount of them.

DonAntonio

Now it makes sense. Thanks.

Related to Would someone clarify this for me please? (from Rudin's analysis)

What does Rudin mean by "analysis"?

Rudin is referring to mathematical analysis, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers and sets, using concepts such as limit, continuity, and derivative.

Why is clarification needed on this topic?

Analysis can be a challenging subject, and Rudin's text can be dense and abstract. Many students may require clarification on certain concepts or theorems in order to fully understand the material.

Are there any specific sections or topics in Rudin's analysis that are commonly misunderstood?

Yes, some students may struggle with concepts such as topology, sequences and series, or the Riemann integral. Others may have difficulty applying the concepts to solve problems.

Is Rudin's analysis a standard reference in the field?

Yes, Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis is considered a classic and highly influential text in the field of mathematical analysis. It has been widely used in university courses for decades.

What resources are available for further clarification on Rudin's analysis?

Aside from seeking help from a professor or teaching assistant, there are many online resources available for further clarification on Rudin's analysis. This includes study guides, online forums, and video lectures.