Pulley Hoist Free Body Diagram

In summary, Steve is having difficulty figuring out how to support a weight with a pulley system. He needs someone to review his sketch and tell him if he is close. He also needs to figure out the force multiplier of his pulleys.
SGT_in_WI
Hi All,

I am an old dog, and rusty propeller head. I am having the most difficult time figuring out the forces on a pulley system I am working on. Can someone please review my sketch and tell me if I am even close. I would accept any suggestions and direction.

Much Obliged
-Steve

Attachments

• FreeBodyPulley.jpg
    FreeBodyPulley.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org
How can you support W/2 with two strings of W/8 tension (in addition, they have some angle between them!)
In addition, what happens to the end of the string (right side)? I think it should help to support the weight, too.

W/8 is a force, the tangent of a force is not well-defined.

Yes, I knew my W/2 did not add up correctly with 2 - W/8 loads. That is really where I need help.

W = Load
W/2 is a pulley at each end of the W
The angle is not counted at this time to avoid further confusion.
The end of the string is lifting W
I drew the tangent of middle pulleys for reference. The load on them will not affect my system I am building. I can calculate the load after I correctly figure out the force multiplier of my pulleys.

I hope I helped clear some up your questions.

The end of the string is lifting W
The end of the string is lifting the same as all other parts. If we approximate that those string elements are vertical, we have 5 times the string tension holding that weight W, so string tension is W/5.

Thank you,

So that I have more understanding...

Is the weight only carried by the string between pulleys B-C, C-D, G-H, H-I , I-to end?

Also; Is my W/2 at pulleys C and H correct?

Do I substitute W/5 for where I have W/8 throughout the string?

-Steve

Is the weight only carried by the string between pulleys B-C, C-D, G-H, H-I , I-to end?
As the other parts are not connected to the weight... sure.
Also; Is my W/2 at pulleys C and H correct?
No, as you did not consider the end here.
Do I substitute W/5 for where I have W/8 throughout the string?
Right

Thank you !

I believe I have all that I need.

Peace.

Related to Pulley Hoist Free Body Diagram

1. What is a pulley hoist free body diagram?

A pulley hoist free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on a pulley hoist system. It shows the direction and magnitude of the forces, which helps in analyzing the motion and stability of the system.

2. How is a pulley hoist free body diagram created?

A pulley hoist free body diagram is created by identifying all the external forces acting on the system, such as weight, tension, and friction. These forces are then represented by arrows, with the direction and magnitude corresponding to their values.

3. What are the key components of a pulley hoist free body diagram?

The key components of a pulley hoist free body diagram are the pulleys, ropes or cables, and the weight being lifted. Other key factors to consider include the direction and magnitude of the forces, and any external forces that may affect the system.

4. How is a pulley hoist free body diagram useful in analyzing a system?

A pulley hoist free body diagram is useful in analyzing a system because it allows us to visualize the forces acting on the system and their effects on its motion. By understanding the forces, we can determine the stability and efficiency of the system and make any necessary adjustments.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pulley hoist free body diagram?

Yes, there are limitations to using a pulley hoist free body diagram. It assumes that the ropes or cables are massless and frictionless, which may not be the case in real-world situations. It also does not account for other factors such as elasticity or deformations of the ropes or pulleys.