Pulley system with relative motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the velocities and accelerations of two bodies, A and B. It is determined that the velocity of B is half of A's velocity due to the change in length of the cord. The velocities are also with respect to Earth, and it is confirmed that the normal acceleration of B is 0 as it moves in a straight line. However, it is clarified that the normal acceleration is in reference to a direction perpendicular to the surface that B moves on, not relative to A.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Suppose that at the instant depicted in the figure, ##A## has a velocity of ##-400 cm/s## and an acceleration of ##-16 cm/s^2##. The motion of ##A## and the motion of ##B## are related by the pulley and cord system. Determine ##\vec v_{B/A}, \vec a_{B/A}, \vec v_{B/Earth}, \vec a_{B/Earth}## and the normal acceleration of ##B## with respect to Earth.
Relevant Equations
##\vec V_{B/A} =\vec V_B - \vec V_A##
Well, first I tried to understand the relation between the velocities and accelerations of both bodies and I got that the velocity of ##B## is half the velocity of ##A##. This is because a change in length of the cord "that touches ##A##" must be equal to the change in length of the two cords that are touching ##B##. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

So, if ##V_A=-400 cm/s##, then ##V_B=-200 cm/s##. And these velocities are with respect to Earth?

Then, ##V_{B/A}=V_B -V_A##, so using the angle and the data from before I got ##V_{B/A}=200 cm/s##. Is it ok?

And finally, the normal acceleration of ##B## must be 0, because it moves in a straight line. Am I wrong?

Attachments

• 20190914_150212.jpg
    20190914_150212.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 169
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello
Like Tony Stark said:
So, if VA=−400cm/s, then VB=−200cm/s. And these velocities are with respect to Earth?
The figure makes me image that if VA=−400cm/s in vertical direction then not VB but VB/A= 200cm/s sin( 50 degree )in horizontal direction and -200cm cos (50 degree) in vertical direction. If it's OK then ##\mathbf{V_B}=\mathbf{V_A}+\mathbf{V_{B/A}}## gives us velocity of B against Earth.

Like Tony Stark said:
So, if ##V_A=-400 cm/s##, then ##V_B=-200 cm/s##. And these velocities are with respect to Earth?
One of these is not relative to the earth. The length of "the cord that touches ##A##" is measured from A to a fixed point on the earth. The "two cords touching ##B##" are measured from ##B## to points fixed on ##A##.
And finally, the normal acceleration of ##B## must be 0, because it moves in a straight line. Am I wrong?
I think the normal direction here refers to a direction perpendicular to the surface that ##B## moves on. They ask for the normal acceleration of ##B## relative to the earth, not relative to ##A##.

Related to Pulley system with relative motion

1. What is a pulley system with relative motion?

A pulley system with relative motion is a mechanical device that uses a combination of pulleys and ropes to transmit force and motion between two or more objects. The pulleys in this system are able to move relative to each other, allowing for a change in direction of the applied force.

2. What are the advantages of using a pulley system with relative motion?

One advantage of using a pulley system with relative motion is that it allows for a smaller force to be applied to lift a heavier load. This can make tasks easier and more efficient. Additionally, the change in direction of the force can also make it easier to maneuver objects in different directions.

3. How does a pulley system with relative motion work?

A pulley system with relative motion works by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys. The fixed pulleys are attached to a stationary object, while the movable pulleys are attached to the load being lifted. As the rope is pulled, the movable pulleys move and the load is lifted.

4. What are some common applications of a pulley system with relative motion?

A pulley system with relative motion has many practical applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. It is also commonly used in rock climbing and sailing to hoist heavy objects.

5. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system with relative motion?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system with relative motion can be calculated by dividing the weight of the load being lifted by the force applied to the rope. The more pulleys used in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage will be.