Purely Inductive Circuit -- Mathematical proof for current lag

In summary, the conversation discusses how to mathematically prove that in a purely inductive circuit, current lags behind voltage by a phase angle of π/2. It is explained that this can be shown by defining voltage as a mathematical function and using the equation e = L(di/dt). By integrating this equation, it is shown that the current is equal to 1/L times the integral of the voltage function, and since the integral of sine is cosine, this results in a phase angle of π/2 between voltage and current.
CosmicC
how we can mathematically prove that in a purely inductive circuit current lags behind voltage by a phase angle of π/2?

Engineering news on Phys.org
With a purely imaginary impedance ##j\omega L## and ##V = Z \;I## you see that ##\arg V = \arg j\omega L + \arg I##

CosmicC said:
how we can mathematically prove that in a purely inductive circuit current lags behind voltage by a phase angle of π/2?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

1) Is this a question for your homework or schoolwork?

2) << EDIT -- I removed this point since it might not be accurate >>.

3) Are you familiar with the differential equation defining the voltage across an inductor v(t) as a function of the inductance and the derivative of the current i(t) through the inductor?

Likes CosmicC
Point isn't so much we don't want to help you; more that we have no idea what kind of help is useful for you. Are you at all familiar with complex numbers when dealing with AC, or with the equations berkeman is referring to ?
In short: a bit more context, please !

Oh, and: read the guidelines

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

1) Is this a question for your homework or schoolwork?

2) << EDIT -- I removed this point since it might not be accurate >>.

3) Are you familiar with the differential equation defining the voltage across an inductor v(t) as a function of the inductance and the derivative of the current i(t) through the inductor?
Yes Sir I am.

So we can mark this one as solved ? Or is there a remaining question ?

Likes berkeman
CosmicC said:
First you have to define voltage as some math function.

Your question infers sine function but doesn't say that's what it is. Sine is a mathematical oddity in that its derivative and integral have its same shape .
so we use them almost interchangeably

Once you realize that it's trivial

CosmicC said:
Yes Sir I am.
So you're aware e = L X di/dt
∫e dt = L X ∫di ;
i = 1/L X ∫e dt
if e = sin wt , i = 1/L X ∫sin(wt) = -1/ωL X cos(wt) if i didnt miss a sign someplace

and cosine is just sine shifted ninety degrees ..
Draw it out ?

Likes cnh1995
jim hardy said:
First you have to define voltage as some math function.

Your question infers sine function but doesn't say that's what it is. Sine is a mathematical oddity in that its derivative and integral have its same shape .
so we use them almost interchangeably

Once you realize that it's trivial So you're aware e = L X di/dt
∫e dt = L X ∫di ;
i = 1/L X ∫e dt
if e = sin wt , i = 1/L X ∫sin(wt) = -1/ωL X cos(wt) if i didnt miss a sign someplace

and cosine is just sine shifted ninety degrees ..
Draw it out ?
Yes Now i get it. And even both the curves has difference of ninety degrees. Thanks a lot.

BvU said:
So we can mark this one as solved ? Or is there a remaining question ?
Solved. Thanks a lot. :)

Related to Purely Inductive Circuit -- Mathematical proof for current lag

1. What is a purely inductive circuit?

A purely inductive circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains only inductors and no other components, such as resistors or capacitors. This means that the circuit is purely reactive and does not dissipate any power.

2. What is current lag in a purely inductive circuit?

Current lag refers to the delay between the voltage and current in a purely inductive circuit. This delay is caused by the inductor's ability to store energy in its magnetic field, which results in the current being out of phase with the voltage.

3. Why is a mathematical proof needed for current lag in a purely inductive circuit?

A mathematical proof is needed to fully understand and explain the phenomenon of current lag in a purely inductive circuit. It provides a rigorous and logical explanation for the relationship between voltage, current, and time in this type of circuit.

4. How is current lag in a purely inductive circuit mathematically proven?

The proof for current lag in a purely inductive circuit involves using the principles of calculus and complex numbers to analyze the circuit's behavior. The proof shows that the current lags the voltage by 90 degrees in a purely inductive circuit.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding current lag in a purely inductive circuit?

Understanding current lag in a purely inductive circuit is important in various practical applications, such as power factor correction and designing efficient electrical systems. It also allows engineers to accurately predict and control the behavior of these circuits in different situations.