Question about Field Strength of Solenoid Positioned Near a Magnet

• I
  • Thread starter JayAshby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magentism
JayAshby
TL;DR Summary
Hi, I've been working on a solenoid design and was wondering if I have this configuration, how would the strength of the solenoid (specifically the south pole) be affected by the permanent magnet? Would it potentially gain strength, or would it result in a loss? Assume minimal distance between magnet and solenoid.
Screenshot 2023-12-29 151603.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

They would add linearly, unless the magnet were free to move under the influence of the magnetic field from the solenoid. In that case you would need to analyze the differential equations for the movement of the magnet and the induced EMF in the solenoid.

Can you say more about what you are trying to do or analyze?

Likes vanhees71
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

They would add linearly, unless the magnet were free to move under the influence of the magnetic field from the solenoid. In that case you would need to analyze the differential equations for the movement of the magnet and the induced EMF in the solenoid.

Can you say more about what you are trying to do or analyze?
Hi berkeman, thanks for the reply. I should have added that both the magnet and solenoid would be fixed. The purpose would be to increase the strength of the solenoid's south pole (if possible).

Likes vanhees71
Are you trying to attract a ferrous slug cylinder into the solenoid, and wanting to increase the attractive force? The more you can say about what you want to do, the more we can offer as helpful suggestions and calculations. :smile:

Likes vanhees71
berkeman said:
Are you trying to attract a ferrous slug cylinder into the solenoid, and wanting to increase the attractive force? The more you can say about what you want to do, the more we can offer as helpful suggestions and calculations.
I haven't finalized the design of the valve yet but yes essentially I want to increase the attraction force of the south end of the solenoid for the purpose of an on/off valve. I want the strength of the solenoid to be as much as possible, therefore giving the off position a better seal.

Likes vanhees71
Okay, are you using a spring to do the return/ON position? Can you post an updated diagram that shows your full assembly with dimensions and all 3/4/5
pieces? Thanks.

Likes vanhees71
The valve design is in more of a conceptual state right now. I'm more concerned about the strength of the solenoid, I've tried in the past to make a water tight seal with magnets alone, but it ended up leaking ( RC submarine, not good lol). Would you say your confident that the inclusion of the permanent magnet results in a stronger magnetic field for the solenoid?

JayAshby said:
Would you say your confident that the inclusion of the permanent magnet results in a stronger magnetic field for the solenoid?
Sure. If you are only concerned with increasing the attractive force, then adding a DC magnet to the solenoid pull-in force will increase it. But obviously that makes it harder to release the solenoid, so that's why you don't usually see a DC magnet as part of the solenoid assembly.

Likes vanhees71
Oh true, that's a good point, I wasn't thinking about the release as much. Thanks for the candor.

Likes vanhees71 and berkeman
You should examine the engineering of solenoidal relays (and water valves). The magic words are "magnetic circuit".

In addition the fluidics for most water valves (for water at pressure) use the magnet to control a small water flow which drives a diaphragm actuated valve. The engineering is very clever indeed.

Study what's been done.

Related to Question about Field Strength of Solenoid Positioned Near a Magnet

1. How does the field strength of a solenoid positioned near a magnet affect its performance?

The field strength of a solenoid positioned near a magnet can greatly impact its performance. A stronger magnetic field can lead to a higher level of efficiency and effectiveness in various applications.

2. What factors influence the field strength of a solenoid near a magnet?

The field strength of a solenoid near a magnet is influenced by factors such as the number of turns in the solenoid coil, the current flowing through the coil, the material of the core, and the distance between the solenoid and the magnet.

3. How can the field strength of a solenoid near a magnet be measured?

The field strength of a solenoid near a magnet can be measured using a gaussmeter or a Hall effect sensor. These devices can accurately measure the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

4. What is the relationship between the field strength of a solenoid near a magnet and the distance between them?

The field strength of a solenoid near a magnet decreases as the distance between them increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the solenoid and the magnet.

5. How can the field strength of a solenoid near a magnet be optimized for a specific application?

The field strength of a solenoid near a magnet can be optimized for a specific application by adjusting the number of turns in the solenoid coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core. Experimentation and testing may be necessary to find the optimal configuration for the desired performance.