Question About Hologram Property - Seeking Answers

• Thread starter Ja4Coltrane
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hologram
In summary, a person had a question about a property of holograms where a light can be shone through and the image can be seen on the wall behind it. This seemed confusing as it would require a lens to resolve the image onto a screen. It was explained that a hologram can act like a lens and create various patterns of outgoing light rays when a laser is shone through it. This is similar to the add-on lenses for laser pointers. The hologram splits the incoming beam and sends out copies at different angles to create a pattern on the wall. However, this is not an image as it remains the same regardless of distance. The hologram can also be thought of as a grid of little mirrors or prisms. Looking
Ja4Coltrane
Someone I know has asked about a certain property of holograms which he said he was shown while he was in school, but i can't figure out why the property should be true.

He says that he once saw a video of a demonstration where a light (presumably a laser) was shone through a hologram, and the image could be seen on the wall behind the hologram.

This doesn't seem to make sense to me. I thought that a lens would be needed to resolve the image onto a screen.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A hologram can act like a lens.
The pattern on the wall isn't strictly speaking an image, you can produce a hologram which will create pretty much any pattern of outgoing light rays when you shine a laser through it.
That's how the add-on lenses for laser pointers that project a line or star or other shapes work - they are holograms.

mgb_phys said:
A hologram can act like a lens.
The pattern on the wall isn't strictly speaking an image, you can produce a hologram which will create pretty much any pattern of outgoing light rays when you shine a laser through it.
That's how the add-on lenses for laser pointers that project a line or star or other shapes work - they are holograms.

I'm still confused. Is this just like if I have say, a stars shaped object that happens to send light out from every point, then if I look at a wall next to it, I will see a blurry star?

No, the hologram splits the incoming laser beam and sends out copies of the beam at different angles.
If you get the arragement of the angles right they make a pattern on the wall.
It's not an image because it makes the same pattern although at a different scale at different distances.

If you prefer you can think of the hologram as being a grid of little mirrors (or prisms) each bending the incoming light in a particular direction

Okay and the pattern you see on the wall looks like the three dimensional thing that you see when you look into the hologram?

No it's just a 2d pattern of points.
You generally can't see anything looking into this kind of hologram - it's not the same effect as projecting a transmission hologram.

Related to Question About Hologram Property - Seeking Answers

1. What is a hologram?

A hologram is a three-dimensional image created using photographic techniques and laser technology. It appears to be a real object, but it is actually just a projection of light.

2. How does a hologram work?

A hologram is created by splitting a laser beam into two separate beams. One beam is directed at the object being recorded, while the other beam is directed at the photographic film. When the beams intersect, they create an interference pattern that is recorded on the film. When the film is developed and illuminated by a laser, the recorded pattern is projected as a three-dimensional image.

3. What properties do holograms possess?

Holograms possess several unique properties, including the ability to display a three-dimensional image, the ability to view the image from different angles, and the ability to store and reproduce a large amount of information.

4. What are some practical applications of holograms?

Holograms have a wide range of practical applications, including security features on credit cards and IDs, 3D displays for entertainment and advertising, and holographic microscopy for medical imaging. They are also used in art and for scientific research.

5. Can holograms be used for communication?

Yes, holograms can be used for communication through the technology of holographic telepresence. This allows people to appear as lifelike, three-dimensional holograms in real-time, making it seem as if they are in the same room even if they are in different locations.