Question concerning the direction of the vector r in the FL

In summary, the vector r in the FL refers to the position vector of an object in a coordinate system with respect to a reference point or origin. The direction of this vector is determined by the direction of the object's motion or displacement and can change if the object's position or motion changes. It can be represented mathematically using trigonometric functions or unit vectors. The direction of the vector is important in physics as it helps us understand the motion and position of objects and is used in various equations and operations.
Hello! I've got a question concerning the direction of the vector r in the Feynman Lectures of Physics in Chapter 13.3 http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_13.html#Ch13-S3

Which direction does the vector r in equation 13.5 point in?
The long equation before equation 13.6 suggests that it should point from ##m_{j}## to ##m_{i}##.

Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
The convention is given in figure 13.2: the vectors point from 1 to 2.

Do you mean 13.15 and 13.16?

dauto said:
Do you mean 13.15 and 13.16?
The vector should be the same in both equations.

I am unable to access the specific equations and content mentioned without purchasing the book or having a subscription to the website. However, based on the information provided, I can provide a general response to the question about the direction of the vector r in the Feynman Lectures of Physics.

The direction of the vector r in equation 13.5 would depend on the specific context and variables involved in the equation. Without further information, it is difficult to determine the exact direction of the vector. However, based on the statement that the vector should point from ##m_{j}## to ##m_{i}##, it is possible that the vector r represents the position or displacement between these two masses. In this case, the direction would indeed be from ##m_{j}## to ##m_{i}##, as the vector represents the distance and direction between the two masses.

In general, the direction of a vector can be determined by the starting and ending points of the vector. It is important to carefully consider the context and variables involved in order to accurately determine the direction of a vector. I would recommend consulting the specific equations and explanations in the Feynman Lectures of Physics for a more precise answer to this question.

Related to Question concerning the direction of the vector r in the FL

1. What is the vector r in the FL?

The vector r in the FL refers to the position vector, which describes the location of an object in a coordinate system with respect to a reference point or origin. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing from the origin to the object's position.

2. How is the direction of the vector r in the FL determined?

The direction of the vector r in the FL is determined by the direction in which the object is moving or being displaced. It is often described in terms of angles or compass directions, such as north, south, east, and west.

3. Can the direction of the vector r in the FL change?

Yes, the direction of the vector r in the FL can change if the object's position or motion changes. For example, if an object moves from east to west, the direction of the vector r will change from east to west as well.

4. How is the direction of the vector r in the FL represented mathematically?

The direction of the vector r in the FL can be represented mathematically using trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It can also be represented using unit vectors, which are vectors with a magnitude of 1 that point in a specific direction.

5. Why is the direction of the vector r in the FL important in physics?

The direction of the vector r in the FL is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion and position of objects. It is used in many equations, such as those for velocity and acceleration, to describe the movement of objects in a specific direction. It also plays a crucial role in vector addition and subtraction, which are essential operations in many physics calculations.