Regular Value Theorem From Implicit Function Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses two important theorems in mathematics: the Regular Value Theorem and the Implicit Function Theorem. The Regular Value Theorem states that the intersection of the set of regular points of a smooth function and the inverse image of a certain point is a manifold without boundary. The conversation explores the possibility of proving the Regular Value Theorem using the Implicit Function Theorem, but notes that the latter may not be sufficient. It also discusses the use of the inverse function theorem to show that a certain set is open in the manifold.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
I want to prove the follwoing:

Theorem. (Regular Value Theorem.)Let $f:\mathbf R^n\to\mathbf R^m$ be a smooth function and $\mathbf a\in\mathbf R^n$ be a regular point of $f$.
Let $f(\mathbf a)=\mathbf 0$ and $\text{rank }Df(\mathbf a)=r$.
Let $R$ be the set of all the regular points of $f$.
Then $R\cap f^{-1}(\mathbf 0)$ is an $(n-r)$-manifold (without boundary) in $\mathbf R^n$.

I can prove the above using the Rank Theorem but I was wondering if this can be proved using the Implicit Function Theorem. In fact, the instructor of my Differential Equations course hinted that this can be done.

Theorem. (Implicit Function Theorem.)Let $f:\mathbf R^{m+n}\to \mathbf R^n$ be a smooth function.
Interpret $f$ in the form $f(\mathbf x,\mathbf y)$ for $\mathbf x\in\mathbf R^m$ and $\mathbf y\in \mathbf R^n$.
Let $(\mathbf a,\mathbf b)\in\mathbf R^{m+n}$ be such that $f(\mathbf a,\mathbf b)=\mathbf 0$ and $\det\displaystyle\frac{\partial f}{\partial \mathbf y}\neq 0$.
Then there exists a neighborhood $U$ of $\mathbf a$ in $\mathbf R^m$, and a unique continuous function $g:U\to \mathbf R^n$ such that $g(\mathbf a)=\mathbf b$ and $f(\mathbf x,f(\mathbf x))=\mathbf 0$ for all $\mathbf x\in U$.
Further, the function $g$ is a smooth function.
___

The definitions I am using are

Definition. Let $f:\mathbf R^n\to\mathbf R^m$ be a smooth function.
A point $\mathbf a\in \mathbf R^n$ is said to be a regular point of $f$ if $$\text{rank }Df(\mathbf a)=\max\{\text{rank }Df(\mathbf x):\mathbf x\in\mathbf R^n\}$$

Definition. A subset $M$ of $\mathbf R^n$ is said to be a $k$-manifold (without boundary) if for each point $\mathbf p\in M$, there is a set $V$ open in $M$ conatining $\mathbf p$, an open set $U$ in $\mathbf R^k$, and a bijective map $\alpha:U\to V$ satisfying:
1. $\alpha^{-1}:V\to U$ is continuous.
2. $D\alpha(\mathbf x)$ has rank $k$ for each $\mathbf x\in U$.
___

Attempt: Consider the statement of the Regular Value Theorem as given above and assume for a special case that $m=r$. Write $M=R\cap f^{-1}(\mathbf 0)$.
Then using the Implicit Function Theorem, there exists a neighborhood $U$ of $\mathbf a$ in $\mathbf R^m$, and a continuous function $g:U\to\mathbf R^n$ such that $f(\mathbf x,g(\mathbf x))=\mathbf 0$ for all $\mathbf x\in U$.
Now define the function $\alpha:U\to \mathbf R^n$ as $\alpha(\mathbf x)=(x,g(\mathbf x))$. The only trouble now is to show that $\alpha(U)$ is open in $M$.
Can anybody see how to do that? Also, can anybody suggest an approach when $m>r$?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to offer my insights on your approach to proving the Regular Value Theorem using the Implicit Function Theorem. First of all, I appreciate your use of definitions and theorems to support your argument. It shows that you have a good understanding of the concepts involved.

I agree with your approach of assuming a special case where $m=r$ and using the Implicit Function Theorem to prove that there exists a continuous function $g:U\to\mathbf R^n$ such that $f(\mathbf x,g(\mathbf x))=\mathbf 0$ for all $\mathbf x\in U$. However, I would like to point out that this function $g$ may not necessarily be unique. The Implicit Function Theorem only guarantees the existence of a continuous function, but it does not guarantee that it is unique. Therefore, I believe that using the Implicit Function Theorem alone may not be enough to prove the Regular Value Theorem.

To address your question on how to show that $\alpha(U)$ is open in $M$, I would suggest considering the inverse function theorem. Since $D\alpha(\mathbf x)$ has full rank for all $\mathbf x\in U$, the inverse function theorem tells us that $\alpha^{-1}$ is a local diffeomorphism. This means that for any point $\mathbf p\in \alpha(U)$, there exists a neighborhood $V$ of $\mathbf p$ such that $\alpha^{-1}(V)$ is open in $U$. Since $U$ is open in $\mathbf R^m$, $\alpha^{-1}(V)$ is also open in $\mathbf R^m$. Therefore, $\alpha(U)$ is open in $M$.

For the case where $m>r$, I believe that you can use a similar approach. However, you may need to consider the Jacobian matrix of $g$ and show that it has full rank at all points in $U$. This would guarantee that $g$ is a local diffeomorphism and $\alpha(U)$ is open in $M$.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your proof!

Related to Regular Value Theorem From Implicit Function Theorem

1. What is the Regular Value Theorem?

The Regular Value Theorem is a mathematical theorem that is derived from the Implicit Function Theorem. It states that if a function is differentiable at a point and its derivative at that point is non-zero, then the function is locally invertible at that point. This means that the function can be written as a one-to-one mapping of its input variables to its output variables.

2. How is the Regular Value Theorem related to the Implicit Function Theorem?

The Regular Value Theorem is derived from the Implicit Function Theorem. The Implicit Function Theorem states that if a function is differentiable at a point and its derivative at that point is non-singular, then the function can be locally represented by an equation of the form f(x,y)=0. The Regular Value Theorem is a corollary of this theorem, and it states that if the derivative at a point is non-zero, then the function can be locally inverted.

3. What is the significance of the Regular Value Theorem?

The Regular Value Theorem is significant because it allows us to determine whether a function can be locally inverted at a point. This can be useful in many applications, such as optimization problems and curve fitting, where it is important to determine the local behavior of a function.

4. How can the Regular Value Theorem be used in practical applications?

The Regular Value Theorem can be used in various practical applications, such as curve fitting, optimization, and solving systems of equations. It can also be used in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions based on that behavior.

5. Can the Regular Value Theorem be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Regular Value Theorem can be extended to higher dimensions. In fact, the Implicit Function Theorem, from which the Regular Value Theorem is derived, can be extended to functions with any number of variables. This allows for the analysis of more complex systems and functions in multiple dimensions.