Residue at essential singularity

In summary, near to $z_0=1$, the function f(z) takes on the form: $$f(z)=\frac{e^{\frac{1}{z-1}}}{e^z-1}$$ where $z_0=1$ is an essential singularity. To find the coefficient of $\frac{1}{z-1}$, one can use long division, but is lost once they get near to $z_0=1$.
pantboio
Consider the function
$$f(z)=\frac{e^{\frac{1}{z-1}}}{e^z -1}$$
$z_0=1$ is an essential singularity, hence
$$f(z)=\displaystyle\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}a_n(z-1)^n$$
near to $z_0=1$ and i want to find $a_{-1}$. I can write
$$f(z)=\frac{\sum\frac{1}{n!(z-1)^n}}{e\cdot e^{z-1}-1}=\frac{1+\frac{1}{z-1}+\frac{1}{2!(z-1)^2}+\ldots}{e-1+e(z-1)+e\frac{(z-1)^2}{2!}+\ldots}$$
and now, how can i find the coefficient of $\frac{1}{z-1}$? Can someone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you expand [tex]e^{z}-1[/tex] around 1 ?

Last edited:
ZaidAlyafey said:
How did you expand [tex]e^{z}-1[/tex] around 1 ?
$e^{z}-1=e^{z-1+1}-1=e\cdot e^{z-1}-1=e\cdot\sum\frac{(z-1)^n}{n!} -1$

pantboio said:
$e^{z}-1=e^{z-1+1}-1=e\cdot e^{z-1}-1=e\cdot\sum\frac{(z-1)^n}{n!} -1$

so you are missing some e's in the denominator in your post

[tex]e(e^{z-1})-1=e( 1+(z-1)+\frac{(z-1)^2}{2!}+\,...\, ) -1= e-1+e(z-1)+\frac{e(z-1)^2}{2!}+\,... [/tex]

Then you can do long division ...

ZaidAlyafey said:
so you are missing some e's in the denominator in your post

[tex]e(e^{z-1})-1=e( 1+(z-1)+\frac{(z-1)^2}{2!}+\,...\, ) -1= e-1+e(z-1)+\frac{e(z-1)^2}{2!}+\,... [/tex]

Then you can do long division ...
unfortunately, i don't know how to divide one series by another...

The trick when dividing by a series is to use:

${1\over 1-x}=1+x+x^2+...$

So for instance

${x \over \sin x}={x \over x - x^3/3! +...} = {1 \over1 - x^2/3! + ...} = 1 + ({x^2 \over 3!} - {x^4 \over 5!} + ...) + ({x^2 \over 3!} - ...)^2 + ... = 1 + {x^2 \over 3!} + (-{1 \over 5!} + {1 \over 3!^2}) x^4 + ...$

ILikeSerena said:
The trick when dividing by a series is to use:

${1\over 1-x}=1+x+x^2+...$

So for instance

${x \over \sin x}={x \over x - x^3/3! +...} = {1 \over1 - x^2/3! + ...} = 1 + ({x^2 \over 3!} - {x^4 \over 5!} + ...) + ({x^2 \over 3!} - ...)^2 + ... = 1 + {x^2 \over 3!} + (-{1 \over 5!} + {1 \over 3!^2}) x^4 + ...$
using your trick i got what follows
$$f(z)=\frac{ e^{ \frac{1}{z-1} }}{e^z-1}=\frac{ \sum\frac{1}{n!(z-1)^n} }{e-1+e(z-1)+\frac{e}{2}(z-1)^2+\ldots}=\frac{ \sum\frac{1}{n!(z-1)^n}}{(e-1)(1-h)}$$
where $h=\frac{e}{1-e}(z-1)+\frac{e}{2(1-e)}(z-1)^2+\ldots$
So what we have is
$$\ldots=\frac{1}{e-1}\sum_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n!(z-1)^n}\sum_{0}^{\infty}h^n$$
but now I'm at a loss, don't know how to proceed...

Related to Residue at essential singularity

1. What is a residue at an essential singularity?

A residue at an essential singularity is the coefficient of the negative one power term in the Laurent series expansion of a function around that singularity. It is a measure of the behavior of the function at the essential singularity.

2. How is a residue at an essential singularity calculated?

The residue at an essential singularity can be calculated using the formula Res(f,z0) = 1/(n-1)! * lim(z->z0) [(z-z0)^n * f(z)], where n is the order of the singularity at z0.

3. What is the significance of a residue at an essential singularity?

The residue at an essential singularity provides information about the behavior of a function at that singularity. It can be used to determine the existence of a pole or essential singularity and can also be used in the evaluation of complex integrals.

4. Can a function have more than one residue at an essential singularity?

Yes, a function can have multiple residues at an essential singularity. This occurs when the singularity is a branch point or when the function has a pole of higher order at that point.

5. How is the residue at an essential singularity related to the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Residue Theorem states that the integral of a function around a closed contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function at all singularities inside the contour. This includes essential singularities, so the residue at an essential singularity is an important component in the application of this theorem.