Residue Calculation for Contour $|z-i|=1$

In summary, for the contour $|z| = 2$, the integral $\int_C\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1}dz$ can be evaluated using the Residue Theorem as $2\pi i$. Similarly, for the contour $|z - i| = 1$, the integral $\int_C\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1}dz$ can be evaluated as $\pi(1 + i)$ using the same method. Both evaluations are correct as shown by the calculation of the residues.
Dustinsfl
For the contour $|z| = 2$

$$
\int_C\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1}dz = \int_C\frac{z + 1}{(z + i)(z - i)}dz = 2\pi i\sum\text{Res}_{z = z_j}\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1}
$$
Let $g(z) = z^2 + 1$. The zeros of $g$ occur when $z = \pm i$. $g'(\pm i)\neq 0$ so the poles are simple for $1/g$. Let $f(z) = \dfrac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1}$. Then
$$
\text{Res}_{z = i}f(z) = \frac{i + 1}{2i}\quad\text{and}\quad\text{Res}_{z = -i}f(z) = \frac{i - 1}{2i}.
$$
So
$$
\int_C\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1}dz = 2\pi i\sum\text{Res}_{z = z_j}\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1} = 2\pi i.
$$

Correct?

For the contour $|z-i|=1$

For this contour, the only residue is when $z = i$.
So the
$$
\text{Res}_{z = i}\frac{z + 1}{z^2 + 1} = \frac{i + 1}{2i} \ \text{Res}_{z = i}\frac{1}{z - i}
$$
Then
$$
\int_Cf(z)= \pi(1 + i)
$$

Correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Correct?
Yes! (Star)

Related to Residue Calculation for Contour $|z-i|=1$

What is contour integration/residue?

Contour integration is a mathematical technique used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals along a specific path or contour on the complex plane. The residue is a complex number that is calculated at a pole (singularity) of a function and is used in contour integration to determine the value of the integral.

What is the purpose of using contour integration/residue?

The main purpose of using contour integration/residue is to evaluate integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also allows for the evaluation of infinite integrals and can be used to solve differential equations and other problems in physics and engineering.

How do you calculate the residue of a function?

The residue of a function is calculated by finding the coefficient of the term with the highest negative power in the Laurent series expansion of the function around a singularity. This can be done using the Cauchy Residue Theorem or by using the formula Res(f,z0) = limz→z0 (z-z0)f(z).

What is the Cauchy Residue Theorem?

The Cauchy Residue Theorem states that the value of a contour integral around a closed path is equal to the sum of the residues of the function inside the path. This theorem is often used in conjunction with contour integration to solve complex integrals.

What are some applications of contour integration/residue?

Contour integration/residue has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in solving differential equations, calculating areas and volumes, and determining the stability of systems in control theory. It is also used in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.