Residue Calculus: Solving Integrals with Sinusoidal Functions

In summary, we can use the evenness of the integral to rewrite it as half the integral over the entire real line. We then use the identity $x^2 + a^2 = (x + ai)(x - ai)$ and the trigonometric identity $\sin(mx) = \frac{1}{2i}(z^m - 1/z^m)$ to rewrite the integral in terms of a complex variable. We then use a contour integral in the upper half-plane and evaluate it using the residue theorem, resulting in the final answer of $i \pi e^{-am}$.
Dustinsfl
\[
\int_0^{\infty}\frac{x\sin(mx)}{x^2 + a^2}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}e^{-am}
\]
The inetgral is even so
\[
\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x\sin(mx)}{x^2 + a^2}dx.
\]
We can also write \(x^2 + a^2\) as \((x + ai)(x - ai)\). Should I also write \(\sin(mx) = \frac{1}{2i}(z^m - 1/z^m)\)? I tried this but it didn't go anywhere.
\[
\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{z\sin(mx)}{(z + ai)(z - ai)}dz.
\]
How do I finish this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Due to the erratic behavior of $\sin z$ on the complex plane, you want to evaluate either

$ \displaystyle \frac{1}{4i} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x(e^{imx}-e^{-imx})}{x^{2}+a^{2}} \ dx$ or $ \displaystyle\frac{1}{2} \text{Im} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x e^{imx}}{x^{2}+a^{2}} \ dx$.

The latter is preferable since the former would require splitting the integral into two integrals and using two different contours.

Let $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{z e^{imz}}{z^{2}+a^{2}} $ and integrate around a contour that consists of the real axis and an infinitely large semicircle in the upper-half plane.

According to Jordan's lemma, the integral evaluates to zero along the semicircle.Then $ \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x e^{imx}}{x^{2}+a^{2}} \ dx = 2 \pi i \ \text{Res}[f(z),ia]$

$ \displaystyle = 2 \pi i \lim_{z \to ia} \frac{z e^{imz}}{z+ia} = 2 \pi i \frac{ia e^{-am}}{2ia} = i \pi e^{-am}$And the result follows.

Last edited:

Related to Residue Calculus: Solving Integrals with Sinusoidal Functions

1. What is residue calculus?

Residue calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with calculating integrals using the residues of complex functions. It is particularly useful in solving integrals involving sinusoidal functions.

2. How is residue calculus different from traditional calculus?

Traditional calculus deals with real-valued functions and uses techniques such as integration by parts and substitution to solve integrals. Residue calculus, on the other hand, involves complex-valued functions and uses the concept of residues to solve integrals.

3. What are residues?

Residues are the complex numbers that are left over when a complex function is reduced to a single-valued function. They are found by taking the limit of the function as it approaches a singularity (a point where the function is undefined).

4. How are sinusoidal functions used in residue calculus?

Sinusoidal functions, such as sine and cosine, are often used in residue calculus because they can be written as complex exponential functions. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of residues.

5. Can residue calculus be used to solve any integral involving sinusoidal functions?

Not necessarily. Residue calculus is most effective for integrals with simple poles (a type of singularity) and where the integrand is a rational function multiplied by a sinusoidal function. It may not work for more complex functions or integrals with multiple poles.