Resonant frequency of this pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses a simple experiment involving a mass M and a rod of length L made of a copper alloy. The resonant frequency of the oscillator is needed to be around 400-500Hz, which depends on its geometry. The force on the oscillator varies on sin2(ωt) and at resonance, the amplitude is approximately Q(τ/k). To find the resonant frequency, there is a formula for the required force to bend a beam with specific dimensions, which can be solved similar to a spring pendulum. It is suggested to search for an explanation of the formula on Google.
unscientific
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a simple experiment for my school, which involves fixing a mass M onto a rod of length L made of a copper alloy.

Suppose I drive it capacitively, how do I find the resonant frequency of this simple oscillator? I need its resonant frequency to be about 400-500Hz, which would depend on it's geometry.

I know its:

-modulus of elasticity
-density
-Shear modulus
-torsion constant

6dswnp.png

I have found that the force varies on sin2(ωt), so the drive frequency of the oscillator is the drive frequency of the voltage. I know that at resonance, the amplitude is approxiamtely

≈ Q(τ/k)

but what I need to find is its resonant frequency.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a formula for the required force to bend a beam with a certain height (here: width) and length by a certain amount. That will look like a spring constant, so you can solve it similar to a spring pendulum.

mfb said:
There is a formula for the required force to bend a beam with a certain height (here: width) and length by a certain amount. That will look like a spring constant, so you can solve it similar to a spring pendulum.

I see, do you know where I can look up an explanation of the formula?

I would first like to commend you on planning a simple experiment to explore the resonant frequency of a pendulum. This is a great way to learn about the relationship between the physical properties of a system and its behavior.

To find the resonant frequency of your pendulum, you will need to use the equations for simple harmonic motion and apply them to your specific system. The resonant frequency of a pendulum is dependent on its length, mass, and the force acting on it. In this case, the force is being driven capacitively, so you will also need to consider the electrical properties of the system.

One approach you can take is to use the equation for the period of a simple pendulum, which is T = 2π√(L/g), where L is the length of the pendulum and g is the acceleration due to gravity. However, since your pendulum is being driven capacitively, you will also need to consider the electrical properties of the system, such as the capacitance and voltage.

Another approach is to use the equations for the resonant frequency of a driven oscillatory system, which takes into account the driving force and the natural frequency of the system. The natural frequency of your pendulum can be calculated using the equation ω = √(k/m), where k is the torsion constant and m is the mass of the pendulum.

In order to accurately determine the resonant frequency of your pendulum, you will need to measure the physical properties of the system, such as the length, mass, and torsion constant, and also the electrical properties, such as the capacitance and voltage. Once you have these values, you can use the appropriate equations to calculate the resonant frequency.

I hope this helps guide you in your experiment. Remember to always carefully consider the physical and electrical properties of your system and use the appropriate equations to determine the resonant frequency. Good luck with your experiment!

Related to Resonant frequency of this pendulum?

What is the resonant frequency of this pendulum?

The resonant frequency of a pendulum is the natural frequency at which it vibrates when disturbed. It is determined by the length of the pendulum and the acceleration due to gravity.

How can I calculate the resonant frequency of a pendulum?

The resonant frequency of a pendulum can be calculated using the formula f = 1 / (2π√(L/g)), where f is the frequency, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What factors affect the resonant frequency of a pendulum?

The resonant frequency of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also have an impact.

Why is the resonant frequency of a pendulum important?

The resonant frequency of a pendulum is important because it is a fundamental property of the pendulum and determines its behavior. It is also used in various applications such as pendulum clocks, seismometers, and musical instruments.

Can the resonant frequency of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a pendulum can be changed by altering its length, mass, or acceleration due to gravity. For example, changing the length of the pendulum will change its resonant frequency, as per the formula mentioned above.