Riemann Integration - The Additivity Theorem .... B&S Theorem 7.2.9 ....

In summary, the Riemann Integration - The Additivity Theorem, also known as B&S Theorem 7.2.9, is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states the integral of a sum of two functions is equal to the sum of their individual integrals. This theorem works by breaking down an integral of a sum into separate integrals, making it easier to evaluate each integral independently and then add them together. The conditions for this theorem to apply are that the functions being integrated must be continuous on the interval of integration and the interval must be finite. The Additivity Theorem is closely related to other integration theorems such as Linearity of Integration and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It has various applications in mathematics
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Real Analysis" (Fourth Edition) by Robert G Bartle and Donald R Sherbert ...

I am focused on Chapter 7: The Riemann Integral ...

I need help in fully understanding an aspect of the proof of Theorem 7.2.9 ...Theorem 7.2.9 and its proof ... ... read as follows:View attachment 7319
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7320In the above proof (near to the start ...) we read the following:

" ... let \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{P} }\) be a tagged partition of \(\displaystyle [a, b]\) with \(\displaystyle \lvert \lvert \dot{ \mathcal{Q} } \lvert \lvert \ \lt \delta \). ... ... "I am somewhat puzzled by B&S's use of \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{P} }\) and \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{Q} }\) in this proof ... can someone please explain the use of these symbols ... I know they are different partitions ... but why does B&S introduce them ... what is the logic ... why do we need both ... ... [ ... the use of both \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{P} }\) and \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{Q} }\) in the particular statement I quoted seems to me to be most peculiar ... ]

PeterIt may help readers of the above post to have reference to the notation of B&S in setting up the Riemann Integral ... so I am providing the text of Section 7.1 up to and including the definition of the Riemann Integral ... as follows ...View attachment 7321
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7322
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7323

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
In the above proof (near to the start ...) we read the following:

" ... let \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{P} }\) be a tagged partition of \(\displaystyle [a, b]\) with \(\displaystyle \lvert \lvert \dot{ \mathcal{Q} } \lvert \lvert \ \lt \delta \). ... ... "I am somewhat puzzled by B&S's use of \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{P} }\) and \(\displaystyle \dot{ \mathcal{Q} }\) in this proof
It looks to me as though you have identified another misprint in Bartle and Sherbert. The only way I can make sense of it is that the above sentence should read
" ... let \(\displaystyle \color{red}\dot{ \mathcal{Q} }\) be a tagged partition of \(\displaystyle [a, b]\) with \(\displaystyle \lvert \lvert \dot{ \mathcal{Q} } \lvert \lvert \ \lt \delta \). ... ... "
It is particularly unfortunate that there should be an error in what the authors admit is a tricky and delicate proof. The fact that \(\displaystyle \int_a^bf = \int_a^cf + \int_c^bf\) ought to be straightforward. But the integrals are defined in terms of approximating partitions, and a partition of $[a,b]$ may or may not include $c$ as one of its partition points. That is the root cause of the technical difficulties that make this such a complicated and obscure proof.

Bartle and Sherbert would have done well to employ you as a proofreader! (Rofl)

Hi Peter,

I understand your confusion about the notation used in the proof of Theorem 7.2.9. Let me try to explain it to you.

First, let's review the notation used in the definition of the Riemann Integral. In Section 7.1, B&S define the Riemann Integral as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7322

Here, P is a partition of the interval [a, b], and \dot{P} is a tagged partition of [a, b], which is a partition with additional information about the points in each subinterval. This notation is used to define the Riemann Sum, which is the sum of the areas of rectangles that approximate the area under the curve.

Now, in the proof of Theorem 7.2.9, B&S use the notation \dot{\mathcal{P}} and \dot{\mathcal{Q}}. These are notations for tagged partitions, just like \dot{P}. The reason they introduce both \dot{\mathcal{P}} and \dot{\mathcal{Q}} in the proof is because they need to consider two different partitions in order to prove the theorem. The first partition, \dot{\mathcal{P}}, is chosen such that its norm is less than \delta, which is a small positive number. This is done to ensure that the rectangles in the Riemann Sum are small enough to accurately approximate the area under the curve. The second partition, \dot{\mathcal{Q}}, is chosen such that its norm is less than half of \delta. This is done to ensure that the difference between the Riemann Sum and the Riemann Integral is small.

In summary, the use of both \dot{\mathcal{P}} and \dot{\mathcal{Q}} in the proof is necessary in order to prove the theorem. I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Riemann Integration - The Additivity Theorem .... B&S Theorem 7.2.9 ....

What is the Riemann Integration - The Additivity Theorem?

The Riemann Integration - The Additivity Theorem, also known as B&S Theorem 7.2.9, is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that the integral of a sum of two functions is equal to the sum of their individual integrals. It is an important tool in evaluating integrals and is often used in applications of calculus.

How does the Additivity Theorem work?

The Additivity Theorem works by breaking down an integral of a sum into separate integrals. By doing this, it allows us to evaluate each integral independently and then add them together to get the final result. This theorem is based on the idea that the integral is a linear operator, meaning it follows the properties of linearity such as additivity.

What are the conditions for the Additivity Theorem to apply?

For the Additivity Theorem to apply, the functions being integrated must be continuous on the interval of integration. Additionally, the interval of integration must be finite, meaning it has a starting and ending point. If these conditions are met, then the Additivity Theorem can be applied to evaluate the integral.

How is the Additivity Theorem related to other integration theorems?

The Additivity Theorem is closely related to other integration theorems such as the Linearity of Integration and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The Linearity of Integration states that the integral of a constant multiple of a function is equal to the constant multiple of the integral of the function. The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus shows the relationship between the integral and derivative, and is often used in conjunction with the Additivity Theorem to evaluate integrals.

What are some applications of the Additivity Theorem?

The Additivity Theorem has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used to evaluate integrals in a variety of real-world problems, such as calculating areas under curves, finding volumes of solids, and determining work and energy in physics. It is also used in more advanced mathematical concepts such as Fourier series and Laplace transforms.