Rotational energy conservation

In summary, the conversation is about the energy conservation of a pin ended free falling rod and the confusion around deriving the energy conservation equation while including both angular and linear velocity. The person asking the question provides a visualization and their own derivation, and asks for clarification and an alternative way to determine angular velocity. The person who responds explains the correct way to calculate kinetic energy in this scenario and mentions the parallel axis theorem. They also clarify that the two different solutions provided by the person asking the question are not both correct.
dusurme
Hi,
I am a little confused about the energy conservation of a pin ended free falling rod.
When i try to derive energy conservation equation i am not sure including angular and linear velocity at the same time. I try to visualize the problem in the attached picture and put my derivation also.
Any explanation will be appretiated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 361
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the kinetic energy in general:

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m v_{cm}^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^2[/itex]

for this example the velocity of the center of mass
[itex]v_{cm} = \frac{L}{2}\omega[/itex]

[itex]KE = \frac{1}{2}m \frac{L^2}{4}\omega^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm}\omega^2[/itex]

Notice if the center of rotation is at the end of the rod, the angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] is the same as for the center of rotation being the center of mass.

The moment of inertia changes by the parallel axis theorem
[itex]I_0 = I_{cm} + m\left(\frac{L}{2}\right)^2 = I_{cm} + m\frac{L^2}{4}[/itex]

So we find that the rotational kinetic energy about the end of the rod is equal to the total kinetic energy from before.
[itex]\frac{1}{2}I_0\omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}\left(I_{cm} + m\frac{L^2}{4}\right)\omega^2 = KE[/itex]

MisterX thanks for the answer.
Could you also suggest me an alternative way of determining angular velocity?

dusurme said:
MisterX thanks for the answer.
Could you also suggest me an alternative way of determining angular velocity?
No, he's saying that your solution is incorrect: either you use the kinetic energy of rotation with respect to the centre of mass (and then the moment of inertia is not the one you wrote) *and* the centre of mass' kinetic energy, or the kinetic energy of rotation with respect to the pin, *only* (with the moment of inertia you wrote).

Hello there, thank you for reaching out with your question about rotational energy conservation. I can understand your confusion, as it can be tricky to consider both angular and linear velocity at the same time. However, it is important to include both in the energy conservation equation for a free falling rod with a pinned end.

Let's start by defining some terms. The total energy of a system is the sum of its kinetic and potential energies, which can be represented as E = KE + PE. In the case of a free falling rod, we can break down the kinetic energy into two components: translational kinetic energy (KEt) and rotational kinetic energy (KEr). This is because the rod is both moving linearly and rotating about its pinned end.

To derive the energy conservation equation, we can use the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In this case, we can say that the initial total energy (Ei) of the system is equal to the final total energy (Ef). Mathematically, this can be represented as Ei = Ef.

Now, let's consider the initial and final energies separately. At the initial moment, the rod has potential energy (PEi) due to its height above the ground, and both translational and rotational kinetic energies (KEti and KEri) due to its linear and angular velocities. As the rod falls, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energies increase. At the final moment, just before the rod hits the ground, the potential energy is zero (PEf = 0) and the kinetic energies are at their maximum (KEtf and KErf).

Therefore, we can write the energy conservation equation as:
Ei = Ef
PEi + KEti + KEri = PEf + KEtf + KErf
mgh + 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2 = 0 + 1/2mv^2 + 1/2Iw^2

Notice that the translational kinetic energies cancel out, as they are equal at both initial and final moments. Also, since the rod is rotating about its pinned end, the moment of inertia (I) is constant and can be factored out. Therefore, the final energy conservation equation is:
mgh = 1/2Iw^2

I hope this explanation helps clarify the energy conservation equation for a pin-ended

Related to Rotational energy conservation

1. What is rotational energy conservation?

Rotational energy conservation is a physical principle that states that the total amount of energy in a rotating system remains constant, provided there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

2. How is rotational energy conserved?

Rotational energy is conserved through the balance of kinetic and potential energy in a rotating system. As an object rotates, it has both linear velocity and angular velocity, which contribute to its kinetic energy. At the same time, the object's position in the gravitational field creates potential energy. As the object rotates, these energies may change, but the total remains constant.

3. What is an example of rotational energy conservation in everyday life?

An example of rotational energy conservation in everyday life is a spinning top. As long as it keeps spinning, the total amount of energy in the top remains constant. The kinetic energy of the spinning motion is balanced by the potential energy of its position in the Earth's gravitational field.

4. What is the difference between linear and rotational energy conservation?

The main difference between linear and rotational energy conservation is the type of motion involved. Linear energy conservation deals with the energy of objects moving in a straight line, while rotational energy conservation deals with the energy of objects rotating around an axis.

5. Why is rotational energy conservation important?

Rotational energy conservation is important because it helps us understand the behavior of rotating systems, such as wheels, gears, and turbines. It also allows us to accurately predict the motion and energy changes of these systems, which is crucial for designing and optimizing machines and devices that rely on rotational motion.