Rudin Theorem 1.21. How does he get The identity ?

In summary, Rudin states Theorem 1.21 which states that the identity b^n-a^n=(b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}) holds true. This formula can be derived by multiplying out (b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}). It is not necessary to prove this identity as it is assumed by Rudin. To determine the polynomial p(a,b) in the equation b^n-a^n=(b-a)p(a,b), one can use long division or notice that p(a,b)=p(b,a) and must have b^{n-1}
bhagwad
Rudin Theorem 1.21. How does he get "The identity"?

In Theorem 1.21, Rudin says:

The identity [tex] b^n-a^n=(b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}) [/tex]yields etc etc.

What is this "identity", and do we need to prove it first? If not, what assumption is Rudin making?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just multiply it out

lavinia said:
Just multiply it out

So if we have [tex]b^3-a^3[/tex], we get
[tex] (b.b.b)-(a.a.a)[/tex]

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I'm not sure what to do from here on.

##(b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}) = b(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1})-a(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}) = (b^{n}+b^{n-1}a+...+ba^{n-1}) - (b^{n-1}a+b^{n-2}a^2+...+a^{n}) = b^n-a^n##

Likes 1 person
Axiomer said:
##(b-a)(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}) = b(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1})-a(b^{n-1}+b^{n-2}a+...+a^{n-1}) = (b^{n}+b^{n-1}a+...+ba^{n-1}) - (b^{n-1}a+b^{n-2}a^2+...+a^{n}) = b^n-a^n##

Thanks that works!

It's curious though. We've proved it in one direction, but I wonder how someone made the formula in the first place.

I suppose one might start by noticing that ##(b-a)## factors ##b^n-a^n##, since ##a## is clearly a root of the polynomial ##x^n-a^n##. So ##b^n-a^n=(b-a)p(a,b)## for some polynomial ##p(a,b)##. Then, to determine ##p(a,b)##, one could start doing long division to see the pattern. Alternatively, we can construct ##p(a,b)## by noticing that ##p(a,b)=p(b,a)##, and that ##p(a,b)## must have ##b^{n-1}## as a term.

Axiomer said:
I suppose one might start by noticing that ##(b-a)## factors ##b^n-a^n##, since ##a## is clearly a root of the polynomial ##x^n-a^n##. So ##b^n-a^n=(b-a)p(a,b)## for some polynomial ##p(a,b)##. Then, to determine ##p(a,b)##, one could start doing long division to see the pattern. Alternatively, we can construct ##p(a,b)## by noticing that ##p(a,b)=p(b,a)##, and that ##p(a,b)## must have ##b^{n-1}## as a term.

I linked to your reply from my blog post: http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2013/un...ins-principles-of-mathematical-analysis.html/

Thanks again!

Related to Rudin Theorem 1.21. How does he get The identity ?

1. What is Rudin Theorem 1.21?

Rudin Theorem 1.21 is a theorem in mathematical analysis that provides a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

2. What does Rudin Theorem 1.21 state?

Rudin Theorem 1.21 states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then the function is also integrable on that interval.

3. How is Rudin Theorem 1.21 useful?

Rudin Theorem 1.21 is useful because it allows for the evaluation of definite integrals in cases where the fundamental theorem of calculus cannot be applied.

4. What is the identity referred to in Rudin Theorem 1.21?

The identity in Rudin Theorem 1.21 is the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the derivative of the integral of a function is equal to the original function.

5. How does one derive the identity in Rudin Theorem 1.21?

The identity in Rudin Theorem 1.21 can be derived using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the properties of integrals and derivatives.