Sequence is norm convergent implies it's strongly convergent

In summary, if a sequence of operators \{T_n\} converges in the norm operator topology then:$$\forall \epsilon>0$$ $$\exists N_1 : \forall n>N_1$$ $$\implies \parallel T - T_n \parallel \le \epsilon$$If the sequence converges in the strong operator topology then:$$\forall \psi \in H$$ $$\forall \epsilon>0$$ $$\exists N_2 : \forall n>N_2$$
Chain
If a sequence of operators [itex]\{T_n\}[/itex] converges in the norm operator topology then:
$$\forall \epsilon>0$$ $$\exists N_1 : \forall n>N_1$$ $$\implies \parallel T - T_n \parallel \le \epsilon$$
If the sequence converges in the strong operator topology then:
$$\forall \psi \in H$$ $$\forall \epsilon>0$$ $$\exists N_2 : \forall n>N_2$$ $$\implies \parallel T\psi - T_n\psi \parallel \le \epsilon$$
Where H is the Hilbert space that the operators act on. I believe that norm convergence implies strong convergence since for [itex]n>N_1[/itex]:
$$\parallel T\psi - T_n\psi \parallel = \parallel(T-T_n)\psi \parallel \le \parallel T - T_n \parallel \parallel \psi \parallel \le \epsilon \parallel \psi \parallel $$
Since the magnitude of any vector in the Hilbert space must be finite we can scale [itex]\epsilon[/itex] so that the RHS of the inequality is arbitrarily close to zero hence we have convergence in the strong operator topology.

However in my functional analysis book (methods of mathematical physics by Simon and Reed) it says that the map taking an operator to its adjoint is continuous in the norm topology but not the strong topology. This means if a sequence converges to an operator T then the sequence obtained by taking the adjoint of every operator in the original sequence also converges to some operator. Hence we have a sequence converging in the norm topology but not in the strong topology.

I would be very grateful if someone could point out my mistake (or perhaps a mistake in Simon and Reed however this is not the only example of norm convergence does not imply strong convergence that I have seen).

Physics news on Phys.org
Chain said:
some operator
"some operator" is ##T^{\ast}##.
Chain said:
Hence we have a sequence converging in the norm topology but not in the strong topology.
No, this is not true.
Chain said:
I would be very grateful if someone could point out my mistake
Continuity of ##B(H) \ni T \mapsto T^{\ast} \in B(H)## in the norm topology means: If ##T_n \to T## in ##B(H)## in the operator norm, then ##T_n^{\ast} \to T^{\ast}## in the operator norm. From this we can of course conclude that ##T_n^{\ast} \to T^{\ast}## strongly as well, but that's all. In particular, in this context there is no single sequence in ##B(H)## that converges in operator norm but not strongly. So, there is no contradiction to the implication "convergence in operator norm implies strong convergence".

But then if what you say is true then surely the map [itex] T \mapsto T^*[/itex] is also continuous in the strong operator topology which contradicts what is says in Simon and Reed.

Thank you for the quick response!

EDIT: In Simon and Reed it says the map [itex] T \mapsto T^*[/itex] is continuous in the weak and norm topologies but is only continuous in the strong topology if the Hilbert space is finite dimensional.

Chain said:
But then if what you say is true then surely the map TT is also continuous in the strong operator topology which contradicts what is says in Simon and Reed.
I don't see the contradiction. I said that ##B(H) \ni T \mapsto T^{\ast} \in B(H)## is continuous with respect to the operator norm. I also agree with S&R that this map fails to be continuous with respect to the strong operator topology if ##H## is infinite dimensional.

Convergence of a sequence in ##B(H)## in the operator norm implies strong convergence (as you already demonstrated yourself) of that sequence to the same limit, but continuity of a map on ##B(H)## with respect to the operator norm does not imply continuity of that map with respect to the strong operator topology.

I get the feeling that you may be mixing up sequences and maps?
Chain said:
Thank you for the quick response!
My pleasure. I will be off for a bit now, though, but am happy to continue later. (However, others will probably pick it up before me.)

Continuous maps always map convergent sequences to convergent sequences. So if the map [itex] T \mapsto T^* [/itex] is strongly continuous then it should map any strongly convergent sequence to another strongly convergent sequence.

Now I see the issue, we know the map will take a norm convergent sequence into a norm (and hence strongly) convergent sequence but this doesn't necessarily mean it takes every strongly convergent sequence into a strongly convergent sequence. It might only map the strongly convergent sequences which are also norm convergent into strongly convergent sequences.

Thank you Krylov for clarifying this.

Related to Sequence is norm convergent implies it's strongly convergent

1. What is the difference between norm convergence and strong convergence?

Norm convergence refers to the convergence of a sequence in a normed vector space, where the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit approaches zero. Strong convergence, on the other hand, refers to the convergence of a sequence in a topological vector space, where the terms of the sequence themselves converge to the limit point.

2. How is norm convergence related to strong convergence?

Norm convergence implies strong convergence, meaning that if a sequence is norm convergent, it is also strongly convergent. This is because the norm in a normed vector space induces a topological structure, making it a topological vector space.

3. What does it mean for a sequence to be norm convergent?

A sequence in a normed vector space is considered norm convergent if the distance between the terms of the sequence and the limit approaches zero as the number of terms in the sequence approaches infinity.

4. Can a sequence be strongly convergent without being norm convergent?

No, a sequence cannot be strongly convergent without also being norm convergent. This is because the norm induces the topological structure in a normed vector space, and strong convergence requires the terms of the sequence to converge to the limit point.

5. What is the significance of a sequence being strongly convergent?

Strong convergence is important because it guarantees the convergence of a sequence in a topological vector space, which has wider applicability than just normed vector spaces. This allows for the use of concepts and theorems from functional analysis, which is the study of topological vector spaces and linear maps between them.