Sequnce of rationals less than pi, which converges to pi

• MHB
  • Thread starter Amer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the sequence $\{3,\,3.1,\,3.14,\,3.141,\,3.14159,\, \ldots\}$ converges to $\pi$ if and only if the denominator is less than or equal to 3.141592653589793.
Amer
is there any sequnce which converges to [tex]\pi[/tex] such that each term of it less than pi
I know the sequnce related with the taylor expansion of the arctan [tex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{i+1}}{(2i-1)} [/tex]
but this sequnce first term is bigger than pi
why I am looking for such a sequnce because I want to find [tex]a_{\alpha} , b_{\alpha} [/tex] such that

[tex] \cup (a_{\alpha} , b_{\alpha} ) = (\sqrt{2} , \pi) [/tex]
for the [tex]\sqrt{2} [/tex] i was thinking about the taylor series for [tex]\sqrt{x} [/tex]
but what I am stuck at is the taylor series for a function T(x) is convereges to f(a) if the expansion was around the a

Any ideas
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Amer said:
is there any sequnce which converges to [tex]\pi[/tex] such that each term of it less than pi
I know the sequnce related with the taylor expansion of the arctan [tex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{i+1}}{(2i-1)} [/tex]
why I am looking for such a sequnce because I want to find [tex]a_{\alpha} , b_{\alpha} [/tex] such that

for the [tex]\sqrt{2} [/tex] i was thinking about the taylor series for [tex]\sqrt{x} [/tex]
but what I am stuck at is the taylor series for a function T(x) is convereges to f(a) if the expansion was around the a

Any ideas
Thanks

Hi Amer! :)

Well... another sequence is $\zeta(2) = 1 + \dfrac 1 {2^2} + \dfrac 1 {3^2} + ... = \dfrac {\pi^2}{6}$
You can find more sequences like that on wiki.

Amer said:

Any ideas
Thanks

Archimedes sequence of inscribed regular polygons to a circle of unit diameter will give what you want.

zzephod said:
Archimedes sequence of inscribed regular polygons to a circle of unit diameter will give what you want.

can you give me a link about what you are talking about, thanks again
I googled Archimedes sequnce but i did not get trivial thing

ILikeSerena said:
Hi Amer! :)

Well... another sequence is $\zeta(2) = 1 + \dfrac 1 {2^2} + \dfrac 1 {3^2} + ... = \dfrac {\pi^2}{6}$
You can find more sequences like that on wiki.

interesting link, thanks
I am looking for pi without power :)

There is always the sequence $\{3,\,3.1,\,3.14,\,3.141,\,3.1415,\,3.14159,\, \ldots\}$.

Or more generally, any sequence $a_i$ which satisfies:

$$a_i = \left \lfloor \left ( \pi - f(i) \right ) \cdot b^i \right \rfloor b^{-i}$$

For any function $f$, with $f(i) \geq 0$, such that the limit to infinity of $f$ be zero, and any rational base $b > 1$.

The sequence Opalg presented is one of the family above, with $b = 10$ and $f(i) = 0$. For instance, in base $4$:

$$\{ 3,\ 3,\ 3.125,\ 3.140625,\ \dots \}$$

Using a non-constant function, say, $f(i) = \pi e^{-i}$, we get, in base 10:

$$\{ 0,\ 1.9,\ 2.71,\ 2.985,\ 3.084,\ 3.12042,\ \dots \}$$

But of course, using this "digit extraction" method is probably not Amer wanted ;)

Last edited:
Any alternating sign terms series can be transformed in a positive terms series as follows... $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ a_{n} = (a_{0}-a_{1}) + (a_{2}-a_{1}) +...$ (1) ... so that is... $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}} {2n + 1} = (1-\frac{1}{3}) + (\frac{1}{5}- \frac{1}{7}) +...$ (2)

Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Any alternating sign terms series can be transformed in a positive terms series as follows... $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}\ a_{n} = (a_{0}-a_{1}) + (a_{2}-a_{1}) +...$ (1) ... so that is... $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n}} {2n + 1} = (1-\frac{1}{3}) + (\frac{1}{5}- \frac{1}{7}) +...$ (2)

Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

I like it! (Sun)

Cleaning it up a little so we don't see that "ugly" minus sign anymore, you'd get:
$8 \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{1}{(4n+1)(4n+3)} = 8(\frac{1}{1 \cdot 3} + \frac{1}{5 \cdot 7} + \frac{1}{9 \cdot 11} + ...) = 8(\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{35} + \frac{1}{99} + ...)= \pi$​

Looks just as if there never was a minus sign involved! (Wink)

you gave me a punch of ideas thanks very much all of you

Amer said:
can you give me a link about what you are talking about, thanks again
I googled Archimedes sequnce but i did not get trivial thing

A paper (pdf) that provides the background and the formula using only elementary methods can be found >>here<<

Related to Sequnce of rationals less than pi, which converges to pi

What is a sequence of rationals?

A sequence of rationals is a list of numbers that are all rational numbers, meaning they can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. For example, 1/2, 2/3, and 3/4 are all rational numbers.

What is pi?

Pi (π) is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14, but its decimal representation is infinite.

What does it mean for a sequence to converge?

A sequence converges when its terms get closer and closer to a specific limit as the sequence progresses. In other words, the numbers in the sequence approach a fixed value as the sequence goes on.

How does the sequence of rationals less than pi converge to pi?

The sequence of rationals less than pi converges to pi because as the sequence progresses, the rational numbers get closer and closer to the irrational number pi. This means that the difference between the terms in the sequence and pi becomes smaller and smaller until it eventually becomes infinitesimally small.

Why is the sequence of rationals less than pi important?

The sequence of rationals less than pi is important because it helps us approximate the value of pi, which has many applications in mathematics and science. It also illustrates the concept of convergence, which is a fundamental concept in mathematics and other fields of study.