Series convergence with a floor

In summary: All right!... all what You have to do is to consider that, for j 'large enough', is $\displaystyle |\ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}| >1$ so that is... $\displaystyle |\frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{(13\ j + k)\ \ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}}|< |\frac {\ln (13\ j + k)}{(13\ j + k)}|$ (1)Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$\ln \{\ln (13j + k) >1
Lisa91
I have one series [tex] \sum_{n=13}^{\infty}(-1)^{\left\lfloor\frac{n}{13}\right\rfloor} \frac{ \ln(n) }{n \ln(\ln(n)) } [/tex]. How to investigate its convergence? I wanted to group the terms of this series but I don't know whether it's a good idea as we have 13 terms with minus and then 13 with plus and so on. What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lisa91!

Actually, that does seem like a good idea.

If you can proof that the sequence without the (-1) is declining towards zero, then summing 13 consecutive terms and repeating that will also be declining towards zero.

Lisa91 said:
I have one series [tex] \sum_{n=13}^{\infty}(-1)^{\left\lfloor\frac{n}{13}\right\rfloor} \frac{ \ln(n) }{n \ln(\ln(n)) } [/tex]. How to investigate its convergence?

Hint: Prove that (i) $T_k=\left |\sum_{i=13k}^{13(k+1)}a_i\right|$ is strictly decreasing and has limit $0$. (ii) The sequence $(S_n)_{n\geq 13}$ of the partial sums of the given series is a Cauchy sequence.

Last edited:
Lisa91 said:
I have one series [tex] \sum_{n=13}^{\infty}(-1)^{\left\lfloor\frac{n}{13}\right\rfloor} \frac{ \ln(n) }{n \ln(\ln(n)) } [/tex]. How to investigate its convergence? I wanted to group the terms of this series but I don't know whether it's a good idea as we have 13 terms with minus and then 13 with plus and so on. What do you think?

The series is the sum of 13 series and can be written as...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{12} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{j}\ \frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{(13\ j + k)\ \ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}}$ (1)

Each of the inner series is 'alternating' and converges for the Leibnitz's criterion, so that the whole series converges...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I tried to do it this way but I don't know how to prove that it decreases and that the limit is zero. I tried estimating it RHS and LHS using [tex] \frac{t}{t+1}< \ln(t+1) < t [/tex] but in one case I've got -1...

[tex] (-1)^{j}\ \frac{\ln (13\ j + 1)}{(13\ j + 1)\ \ln \{\ln (13\ j + 1)\}} [/tex].

chisigma said:
The series is the sum of 13 series and can be written as...

$\displaystyle \sum_{k=0}^{12} \sum_{j=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{j}\ \frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{(13\ j + k)\ \ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}}$ (1)

Each of the inner series is 'alternating' and converges for the Leibnitz's criterion, so that the whole series converges...

A priori, you don't know if the series is convergent, so ¿what associativity and/or conmutativity properties are you using?

Lisa91 said:
I tried to do it this way but I don't know how to prove that it decreases and that the limit is zero. I tried estimating it RHS and LHS using [tex] \frac{t}{t+1}< \ln(t+1) < t [/tex] but in one case I've got -1...

[tex] (-1)^{j}\ \frac{\ln (13\ j + 1)}{(13\ j + 1)\ \ln \{\ln (13\ j + 1)\}} [/tex].

We pratically can consider the term $\ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}$ as a constant term [it is very slowly changing with j...] and can analyse the term...

$\displaystyle \frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{13\ j + k}$ (1)

Any doubt about the fact that, at least for j 'large enough', it is decreasing with j and that its limit is 0?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
We pratically can consider the term $\ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}$ as a constant term [it is very slowly changing with j...] and can analyse the term...

$\displaystyle \frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{13\ j + k}$ (1)

Any doubt about the fact that, at least for j 'large enough', it is decreasing with j and that its limit is 0?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thank you! I don't have any doubts about the fact that the limit of this guy is zero [tex] \frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{13\ j + k} [/tex].

Do you think the explanation 'we may consider it as a constant term' is good for the exam? I think I feel what you mean. Indeed, it increases very slowly but still I am looking for something more formal.

Lisa91 said:
Thank you! I don't have any doubts about the fact that the limit of this guy is zero [tex] \frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{13\ j + k} [/tex].

Do you think the explanation 'we may consider it as a constant term' is good for the exam? I think I feel what you mean. Indeed, it increases very slowly but still I am looking for something more formal.

All right!... all what You have to do is to consider that, for j 'large enough', is $\displaystyle |\ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}| >1$ so that is... $\displaystyle |\frac{\ln (13\ j + k)}{(13\ j + k)\ \ln \{\ln (13\ j + k)\}}|< |\frac {\ln (13\ j + k)}{(13\ j + k)}|$ (1)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

[tex] \ln \{\ln (13j + k) >1 [/tex]
[tex] \ln (13j + k)>e [/tex]
[tex] 13j + k >e^{e} [/tex]

so if we take j=1 and k=0,1,... it's true and we can also take k=9 and j=0,1...

Is it ok?

Sorry, I have lost you in your argument.

But did you consider that for [TEX]n \ge 3[/TEX]:

[TEX]0 < {1 \over n \ln(\ln n)} < {\ln n \over n \ln(\ln n)} < {n \over n \ln(\ln n)} = {1 \over \ln(\ln n)} \to 0[/TEX]

The LHS and RHS both approach zero when [TEX]n \to \infty[/TEX].
Moreover they do so monotonously.

ILikeSerena said:
Sorry, I have lost you in your argument.

But did you consider that for [TEX]n \ge 3[/TEX]:

[TEX]0 < {1 \over n \ln(\ln n)} < {\ln n \over n \ln(\ln n)} < {n \over n \ln(\ln n)} = {1 \over \ln(\ln n)} \to 0[/TEX]

The LHS and RHS both approach zero when [TEX]n \to \infty[/TEX].
Moreover they do so monotonously.
Thank you so much! It's so beautiful!

Related to Series convergence with a floor

1. What is series convergence with a floor?

Series convergence with a floor is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a series when the terms of the series are added together. The "floor" in this context refers to a specific value that the series is approaching. In other words, the series will converge towards this floor value as more terms are added.

2. How is series convergence with a floor different from regular series convergence?

The main difference between series convergence with a floor and regular series convergence is that in the former, the series is always approaching a specific value (the floor) while in the latter, the series may or may not approach a specific value. Additionally, series convergence with a floor may have a different rate of convergence compared to regular series convergence.

3. How do you determine if a series converges with a floor?

To determine if a series converges with a floor, you can use the limit comparison test or the direct comparison test. These tests involve comparing the given series to a known series with similar properties. If the limit or comparison is less than one, then the series converges with a floor. Additionally, you can also use the ratio test or the root test to check for convergence with a floor.

4. Can a series converge with a floor to any value?

No, a series can only converge with a floor to a specific value. This is because the floor value is the limit towards which the series is approaching. If the series were to converge to any value, it would not have a specific limit and therefore would not be considered a series convergence with a floor.

5. What are some real-life applications of series convergence with a floor?

Series convergence with a floor is commonly used in financial mathematics, specifically in the calculation of compound interest. It is also used in physics and engineering, particularly in the analysis of electrical circuits and the behavior of mechanical systems. Additionally, series convergence with a floor is used in computer science algorithms, such as in the calculation of logarithms and exponents.