Series Multiplication: Investigate Convergence

In summary, the conversation was about multiplying two series and obtaining a new series that needed to be investigated for convergence. The formula for the new series was given and it was mentioned that it could be compared with a known series using the Leibniz formula. The conversation also touched on the use of 'n' and 'k' in the formula and how to approach the investigation. It was suggested to use the function $f(x) = x^{3/4}(1-x)^{1/4}$ to find the maximum value of the series, which is greater than 1.
Lisa91
I multiplied two series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{4}}}$ and $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{1}{4}}}$. I got $\displaystyle 1 + \frac{1}{2^{\frac{3}{4}}2^{\frac{1}{4}}}+\cdots$ I don't know how to write it with symbols so that I could investigate whether it's convergent or not. I'd be thankful for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa91 said:
I multiplied two series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{4}}}$ and $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{1}{4}}}$. I got $\displaystyle 1 + \frac{1}{2^{\frac{3}{4}}2^{\frac{1}{4}}}+\cdots$ I don't know how to write it with symbols so that I could investigate whether it's convergent or not. I'd be thankful for your help!
Welcome. :] I fixed your latex. I hope the following is what you were after. Using the product formula...$\begin{aligned} \bigg(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n n^{-3/4}\bigg) \bigg(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^n n^{-1/4}\bigg) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^k k^{-3/4}(-1)^{n-k}(n-k)^{-1/4} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\sum_{k=0}^{n}(-1)^n k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4}\end{aligned}$

First of all, may I write it like this [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4} [/tex]?
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4}[/tex] I read that if I want to investigate whether the whole series is convergent or not I have to investigate this guy at first.
I think I could compare this guy with something that I know but I am a bit confused about 'n' and 'k'. Should I care about 'n' in this one. May I assume that it's fixed?

Then I'll investigate: [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4} [/tex]. I could apply the Leibniz formula but once again what about 'n' and 'k'.

Lisa91 said:
First of all, may I write it like this [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4} [/tex]?
[tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4}[/tex] I read that if I want to investigate whether the whole series is convergent or not I have to investigate this guy at first.
I think I could compare this guy with something that I know but I am a bit confused about 'n' and 'k'. Should I care about 'n' in this one. May I assume that it's fixed?

Then I'll investigate: [tex] \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4} [/tex]. I could apply the Leibniz formula but once again what about 'n' and 'k'.
For $x$ in the interval $0\leqslant x\leqslant 1$, the function $f(x) = x^{3/4}(1-x)^{1/4}$ has a maximum value $3^{3/4}/4$ (which occurs when $x=3/4$). Putting $x=k/n$, you see that $k^{3/4}(n-k)^{1/4} \leqslant 3^{3/4}n/4$. Therefore $\displaystyle\sum_{k=0}^{n} k^{-3/4}(n-k)^{-1/4} \geqslant \frac{4(n+1)}{3^{3/4}n}>1$.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your findings with me. It appears that you have multiplied two series, $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{4}}}$ and $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (-1)^{n} \frac{1}{n^{\frac{1}{4}}}$, and obtained a new series, $\displaystyle 1 + \frac{1}{2^{\frac{3}{4}}2^{\frac{1}{4}}}+\cdots$. To investigate whether this new series is convergent or not, we can use the ratio test or the root test.

The ratio test states that if $\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left| \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} \right| < 1$, then the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n$ is convergent. Similarly, the root test states that if $\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{|a_n|} < 1$, then the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_n$ is convergent.

In this case, we can apply the ratio test, since the terms of the series are all positive. We have $\displaystyle \frac{a_{n+1}}{a_n} = \frac{\frac{1}{(n+1)^{\frac{3}{4}}}}{\frac{1}{n^{\frac{3}{4}}}} = \left( \frac{n}{n+1} \right)^{\frac{3}{4}}$. Taking the limit as $n \to \infty$, we get $\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( \frac{n}{n+1} \right)^{\frac{3}{4}} = \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{n}} \right)^{\frac{3}{4}} = 1^{\frac{3}{4}} = 1$. Since this limit is equal to 1, the ratio test is inconclusive and we

Related to Series Multiplication: Investigate Convergence

1. What is series multiplication?

Series multiplication is a mathematical operation where two or more series are multiplied together to form a new series. It involves multiplying each term of one series with each term of the other series and then adding all the resulting terms.

2. How is convergence defined in series multiplication?

In series multiplication, convergence is defined as the property of a series where the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. This means that as more terms are added, the resulting value gets closer and closer to a specific number.

3. What is the importance of investigating convergence in series multiplication?

Investigating convergence in series multiplication is important because it helps determine whether the resulting series will have a finite value or not. This is crucial in various mathematical applications, such as determining the accuracy of numerical approximations and solving differential equations.

4. How can convergence be tested in series multiplication?

Convergence in series multiplication can be tested using various methods, including the ratio test, root test, and comparison test. These tests involve evaluating the limit of the ratio or root of the terms in the series and comparing it to a known convergent or divergent series.

5. What are some real-world applications of series multiplication and convergence?

Series multiplication and convergence have various real-world applications, including in finance, physics, and engineering. For example, in finance, series multiplication is used to calculate compound interest, while in physics, it is used to model oscillating systems. In engineering, series multiplication is used in signal processing and circuit analysis.