Show a certain sequence in Q, with p-adict metric is cauchy

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the sequence s_n in Q(rationals) with the p-adic metric where s_n is Cauchy but cannot be expressed by a rational number. The person seeking advice is familiar with the concepts involved but is struggling to find an approach. The expert suggests reviewing the definition of Cauchy sequences and using the properties of the p-adic metric to solve the problem.
arturo_026
I left this following question from my excercises last, hoping that solving the others will give me an insight onto how to proceed. But I still don't have a plan on how to start it:

Consider the sequence s_n = Ʃ (k=0 to n) (t_k * p^k) in Q(rationals) with the p-adic metric (p is prime); where t_n is the sequence 1,2,1,1,2,1,1,1,2,... Show that s_n is Cauchy, but [s_n] (the equivalence class of s_n) cannot be expressed by a rational number.

As far as what I know: I'm familiar with the p-adic metric, and what a cauchy sequence is. I just can't think of how to show that s_n is cauchy.

Thank you very much for any advice and hints.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, when in doubt, just start with the definition and see if you can shove your particular case into it. Can you bound the difference between the j-th and k-th terms, for j<k, in terms of j? Maybe by considering the difference between the j-th and (j+1)-st terms, and summing them up, like you do to show the series 2^-n is Cauchy?

Hey there! I can definitely understand your struggle with this exercise. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved, but just need some guidance on how to approach the problem.

First, let's review what it means for a sequence to be Cauchy. A sequence is Cauchy if for any positive real number ε, there exists a natural number N such that for all n,m ≥ N, |s_n - s_m| < ε. In other words, as n and m get larger, the terms in the sequence get closer and closer together.

Now, let's think about how we can show that s_n is Cauchy in this particular case. One approach could be to use the fact that t_n is a sequence of 1s and 2s, and see how that affects the terms in s_n. Another approach could be to use the definition of the p-adic metric and see how it relates to the terms in s_n.

As for the second part of the exercise, it's asking you to show that [s_n] cannot be expressed by a rational number. This means that there is no rational number that is equivalent to the sequence s_n. Again, you can use the definitions and properties of the p-adic metric to help you with this.

I hope this gives you some ideas on how to start the exercise. Don't be afraid to try out different approaches and see what works. Good luck!

Related to Show a certain sequence in Q, with p-adict metric is cauchy

1. What is a p-adic metric?

A p-adic metric is a way of measuring distance between numbers in the field of p-adic numbers. It is defined by taking the absolute value of the difference of two numbers, and then dividing it by a power of p. This metric is used in the study of p-adic analysis, a branch of mathematics that deals with properties of p-adic numbers.

2. How is a sequence defined in Q with p-adic metric?

A sequence in Q with p-adic metric is a list of numbers in the rational numbers (Q) that are arranged in a particular order. The p-adic metric is then used to measure the distance between these numbers in the sequence.

3. What does it mean for a sequence in Q with p-adic metric to be Cauchy?

A sequence in Q with p-adic metric is Cauchy if for any positive real number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that the distance between any two terms in the sequence with indices greater than N is less than ε. In other words, the terms in the sequence eventually get arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses.

4. How is the Cauchy criterion used to show a certain sequence in Q with p-adic metric is Cauchy?

The Cauchy criterion is used to prove that a sequence in Q with p-adic metric is Cauchy by showing that the distance between any two terms in the sequence eventually gets arbitrarily small. This is done by setting a threshold value ε and finding an index N where the distance between terms in the sequence with indices greater than N is less than ε.

5. What are some applications of studying sequences in Q with p-adic metric?

Sequences in Q with p-adic metric have applications in number theory, algebra, and analysis. They are used in the study of p-adic numbers, which have important applications in fields such as cryptography and coding theory. They are also used in the study of p-adic analysis, which has connections to physics and quantum mechanics.