Show f is a contraction mapping

In summary, the given function is $f:[1,\infty)\rightarrow [1,\infty)$ and the attempt to use MVT to find a constant $k$ such that $|f(y)-f(x)|\leq k|x-y|$ proved unsuccessful.
Poirot1
f:[1,infinity)->[1,infinity)

$f(x)=x^{0.5}+x^{-0.5}$

I thought about using MVT but it doesn't work and I've tried showing it conventially but i can't reduce it to k|x-y|

Physics news on Phys.org
Poirot said:
f:[1,infinity)->[1,infinity) $f(x)=x^{0.5}+x^{-0.5}$ I thought about using MVT but it doesn't work and I've tried showing it conventially but i can't reduce it to k|x-y|

For $1\leq x <y<+\infty$ you'll get

$\left|f(y)-f(x)\right|=\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{c}}\left(1-\dfrac{1}{c}\right)|y-x|$

Now, use that a global maximum for $F(c)=\dfrac{1}{2\sqrt{c}}\left(1-\dfrac{1}{c}\right)$ in $[1,+\infty)$ is $K=\dfrac{1}{3\sqrt{3}}<1$

Related to Show f is a contraction mapping

What is a contraction mapping?

A contraction mapping is a function between metric spaces where the distance between the images of two points is always less than the distance between the original points. In other words, it "contracts" the space, bringing points closer together.

Why is it important for a function to be a contraction mapping?

Contraction mappings are important in many areas of mathematics and science because they have unique properties that allow for the existence and uniqueness of solutions to certain problems. They are commonly used in the study of differential equations and optimization problems.

How can I show that a function is a contraction mapping?

To show that a function is a contraction mapping, you must prove that it satisfies the definition of a contraction mapping. This involves showing that the distance between the images of any two points in the domain is always less than the distance between the original points.

What are the benefits of using a contraction mapping in my research?

Using a contraction mapping in your research can have several benefits. It can simplify complex problems by reducing the dimensionality of the space, and it can also provide a proof of existence and uniqueness of solutions. Additionally, contraction mappings can help to find approximate solutions to problems that do not have exact solutions.

Is every function a contraction mapping?

No, not every function is a contraction mapping. A function must satisfy specific conditions in order to be considered a contraction mapping, such as being defined on a metric space and having a Lipschitz constant less than 1.