Simple Double Mass Spring System

In summary, the conversation is about determining the equations of position for two masses connected by a massless spring based on standard idealized conditions. The solution involves finding the expressions for the center of mass' motion and the relative position vector for both masses, using initial conditions and solving for the final equations. Minor tweaks in the approach and using the correct initial conditions can lead to the correct answers as given in the back of the book.
omegacore

Homework Statement

A mass m1 is held a length L above a second mass, m2, which rests on a table. There is a massless spring connecting the masses with spring constant K. You throw mass m1 upwards with velocity v0, determine the equations of position for each mass. Standard idealized conditions apply (Gravity does matter).

Homework Equations

y = y1 - y2
Ycm = m1 y1 + m2 y2
M= m1+m2

Derivable
y1 = Ycm + m2/M (y)
y2 = Ycm - m1/M (y)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step was to confirm y1 and y2 as they stand. After understanding their origin, I attempted to derive the kinematic expression for the center of mass' motion. I found

Ycm = -(1/2)gt2 + (m1/M) v0 t + (m1/M) L

Next I attempted to find an expression for y (essentially the relative position vector for both masses). I did this by assuming I can fix myself in the intertial reference frame of m2 thus giving the expression for y as
y = y1 - 0

So then I said

m1 y1'' + k y1 = 0

Which gives me a solution of the form

y1 = y = A sin(wt) + B cos(wt)

With initial conditions

y = (v0/w) sin(wt) + L cos(wt)

When I use these two expressions to find the final equation my answer looks something like

y1 = -(1/2)gt2 + (m1/M)v0 t + (m1/M)L + (m2/M)[ (v0/w)sin(wt) + L cos(wt) ]

The answer in the back of the book is

y1 = -(1/2)gt2 + (m1/M)v0 t + L + (m2/M)[ (v0/w)sin(wt) ]

and

y2 = -(1/2)gt2 + (m1/M)v0 t - (m1/M)[ (v0/w)sin(wt)]

I am very close. I am just missing something stupid. If someone could point me in the right direction, or just point out something very obvious which is escaping me I am sure I can be on my way again soon enough.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your help!

Thank you for your post. Your attempt at the solution looks good so far. However, there are a few things you can tweak to get to the correct answer.

First, for the expression for y, you can use y = y1 - y2 instead of y = y1 - 0. This will give you an expression for y2 as well, which you can then use in your final equations.

Also, for the final equations, you need to use the initial conditions for y1 and y2 at t=0 to get the correct expressions. This will give you the correct equations as given in the back of the book.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

Related to Simple Double Mass Spring System

1. What is a simple double mass spring system?

A simple double mass spring system is a physical model used to study the behavior of two masses connected by a spring. It is a simplified version of a real-world system that allows scientists to understand and analyze more complex systems.

2. How does a simple double mass spring system work?

In a simple double mass spring system, the two masses are connected by a spring that allows them to move back and forth. When one mass is displaced, it exerts a force on the other mass through the spring, causing it to also move. This back and forth motion creates a harmonic oscillation.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a simple double mass spring system?

The behavior of a simple double mass spring system is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the spring, and the initial conditions (such as the initial displacement and velocity of the masses).

4. What is the equation of motion for a simple double mass spring system?

The equation of motion for a simple double mass spring system is a second-order differential equation, which describes the relationship between the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of the masses. It can be represented as m(d^2x/dt^2) + kx = 0, where m is the mass, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement, and t is time.

5. What real-world applications does a simple double mass spring system have?

Simple double mass spring systems have many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and biology. They can be used to analyze the behavior of structures, such as buildings and bridges, or to model the movements of molecules in a chemical reaction. They are also used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and diving boards, and in medical devices, such as pacemakers and prosthetics.